Yeti GOBOX Collection

Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
This thread now has me oogling the Stone Glacier stuff. Damn you hunttalk!
The terminus is pretty sweet, there was one in Barney's. Material is definitely loud, kinda reminded me of the stuff hyperlite uses, I wonder if as it ages it get's quieter.

I think my MR is 14 years old at this point. A little dirty, maybe a couple pulled threads but long long ways from worn out. Good luck!
The training seems to be what's putting miles on it. Keeping it loaded all year with a sand bag and some rocks then throwing it around the bed of a pickup, but yeah, I hear ya, I might have to just sell it to upgrade even though I swore "buy ONCE, cry ONCE."

The terminus is pretty sweet, there was one in Barney's. Material is definitely loud, kinda reminded me of the stuff hyperlite uses, I wonder if as it ages it get's quieter.
I actually am ditching the hyperlite (tried last year) and going back to my old school osprey for exactly that reason!

I actually am ditching the hyperlite (tried last year) and going back to my old school osprey for exactly that reason!
hyperlite, it's waterproof... and.... well if you like the texture and organization of a brown paper bag you'll love it.

Great for dudes who use cardboard boxes as luggage. ;)

Mostly kidding, though every hyperlite user I know has upended there bag on the ground in front of me at least once to find something.

I did not read all 15 pages, but for my part:

As much as I love my Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50, it's still hilariously overbuilt. My buddy's Metcalf is even worse. There's a time and a place for 500D or 1000D Cordura / Robic / what-have-you, but to use that heavy of a fabric literally everywhere is absurd.

Was out on a long trek using my Mystery Ranch Metcalf this weekend and had blocked out how awfully the frame squeaks when loaded up. Anyone else encounter this? Better yet, anyone have a fix?

Was out on a long trek using my Mystery Ranch Metcalf this weekend and had blocked out how awfully the frame squeaks when loaded up. Anyone else encounter this? Better yet, anyone have a fix?
My buddies Metcalf speaks pretty bad when loaded, but the three that I bought for me and my son's don't seem to squeak.

My buddies Metcalf speaks pretty bad when loaded, but the three that I bought for me and my son's don't seem to squeak.
Just spoke with them on the phone. Seems to be a common issue in a certain vintage of frame, as the lady I spoke with was not at all surprised. Must be costing them a fortune to repair or replace. Not sure if they're going to repair or replace for my own submission. Cruddy timing with archery season right around the corner.

This thread was long but very helpful for looking for a first pack when there's not much opportunity to try any of them around where I live

I've been using a surplus filbe for the last few years. Cheap as hell, but I've never tried on a nice pack so I don't know what I'm missing. The only problem I've had with it is the shoulder straps start squeaking after I've been wearing it all day. It holds alot and can handle alot of weight

Quick Mystery Ranch squeak update: I finally sent my Guide Light MT frame back to MR and got this response:

"We have received your pack for repair, and have completed an estimate. Although the squeaky frame is not covered under warranty, we will repair it free of charge."

Any prospective Mystery Ranch buyers ought to squeak test the heck out of their pack before taking it into the field, while its still returnable. Doesn't sound like they want to keep repairing this issue in the future. I'm guessing they agreed to do mine because I opened the case back in August and was told it ought to be good under warranty by a different employee.

I have an alps z Commander and it is heavy, noisy/clunky , and can be painful under load.

I have a kuiu pro pack 2300 for day trips ~35lbs gear is quite enjoyable considering you have a pack strapped to your back.

To compliment the 2300 I have a 7800 I believe.. which is a large pack I intend to use for 7+ day backcountry hunts. Not much experience under heavy load yet. Just training with 60lbs. Organized well. Quiet so far.. real world test to come.

I hunted for several years with a SOG backpack it was large most importantly it was economical at the time. Plenty of room as i usually carried extra socks for myself and the kids as well as mountain money, lunches, extra water etc. I wanted a pack that would allow me to carry rifle or bow and keep hands free. I decided on a Kings Camo again for economical reasons. I have used this pack that my ex brother in law gave me before he left for the service. Nice pack fit me well just not enough room for my taste to carry extras.

Being newly single I purchased the Marshall from MS this year. I like the ability to change to a smaller pack if need be. Outside of the frame squeak issue the reviews seemed positive, I like the add on features, liked the fact they are based in Montana.

We shall see how it holds up. If anyone can give it a torture test I can. I take care of my equipment, it's the unexpected things that get me and usually test the boundaries of my stuff.

Back