PEAX Equipment

Why muzzleloaders?

I'll probably get one if for no other reason to extend the hunting season. I do believe shooter proficiency is the most important aspect so I'll select the one I think I can be the most accurate with. So far the T/C Omegas are my choice.

I got my first kit just for the fun of it about 15 years ago. Took it hunting several times and got nothin'. got a fancy in-line 4 years ago and I have harvested 3 deer with it at a total of about 30 yards. I'm entering a m-loader only Antelope draw this year to extend my season yet again. With a little luck, a fella can hunt big game in Idaho from the middle of August til the end of Dec-and that don't include bears or lions.

P.S. that 'junior poster' header makes me feel somewhat inferior...

Gives me an extra ten days in the woods. And the more time i'm in the woods the better. Also another ten days to put more meat in the freezer.

I started muzzleloading with a Hawken Sidelock, I enjoyed it but wasn't addicted to it. Then I went to an Encore inline, great gun, but it leaves some of the muzzleloading adventure out. A couple of years ago I purchased an Thompson Firestorm Flintlock, I am addicted to the Flintlock, its a true adventure, keeping powder in the pan, and dry is something your always watching. The half second (and sometimes longer depends on powder dampness) from spark to ignition is another adventure. I just wish Thompson made it with a Maple Stock instead of Synthetic.

In PA. we have a flint lock with open sights only season after Christmas . It's just fun to not only hunt but to also have the skills to have that thing go off in some nasty weather . In my case it's hunting primitive that draws me .

why do I use a muzzy? November hunts for mule deer bucks. Thats why!

I have the knight bighorn inline. I am limited to lead bullets, loose powder, exposed nipples :), musket or muzz caps and no sabots. I basically shoot the same load in my in-line that I shoot in the sidelock.

The inline is lighter, easier to clean and has double safety mechanisms that the sidelock does not have. Its also got the composit stock. The safety and weight issues are why I bought the in-line, along with the "ability" to shoot sabots, pellets and use the big primers in case I ever went out of state where that stuff was legal. Not legal in Idaho.

The hunts I have drawn offer rutting action, migrations and very few people out hunting.

I own sidelocks in flint and caplock as well as inlines in calibers from .45 to .54, I am addicted to to smoking what can I say! I do love the flintlocks most of all though they are just a kick in the arse.

I started hunting Black Powder season after I bought a Thomson's 45 cap lock and joined a French Indian re-enacting group in "80", I then went and bought parts for my 1st gun, a 54 cal. Ky long rifle, swamp barrel, flint lock, Great shooter and then built a 50 cal cherry Pa Long rifle flint lock. The experience of hunting with flint locks is like nothing else. Got to keep your powder dry & powder charges consistent. Now anyone can go out and buy a in-line load it and call them selves a muzzle loader hunter LOL using a scope and 200-250 yard shots that also carry a high amount of lost game. Muzzle loaders and much like bow hunting. You get up close , stalk your animal to get with in 50 yards to make a high percentage kill shot.

Inline, sideline, flint lock, #11 cap, 209 primer????...I went thru this sh1t back in the 70's with longbow, recurve, compound, and everyone screamed and pointed fingers from their corners.
Now the bow season is longer than it's ever been with MORE hunters enjoying the sport.
Hell, it doesnt matter...what we all use as long as legal. Use what YOU like, get proficient with it and dont worry what somebody else prefers. I use a T/C Encore...and love it...getting to where I like the MZL hunt almost more than rifle season.
Like it or not...we need more hunters in the fields to increase revenue, increase our influence and protect what we love to do. United we stand...divided we fall!

And about scopes....I dont know if anyone else suffers from this...but I'm gettin older...and finding my eyesight isnt what it once was up close. As a result...I have trouble lining up iron sights...so I use a scope on my muzzleloader. I shot a lot of game witout one...but I am better with the scope due to eyesight...and thus reducing my chance of wounding game.
With bows, muzzleloaders or high power rifles...there is a lot more equipment out there that (in theory) will shoot long distance...but there are far fewer people shooting them well long distance.

I may have shown off my work before but after spending 150 hours sanding carving, inlaying and hand polishing one of these sweet hearts you can not help but to call Muzzle Loading a Favorite time of the year. Getting the moccasins and Breaches and hunting shirt ready, putting powder in your horns.Checking the Flint to make sure you have a good edge. I love ML Season.
Curly Maple is my 54 cal with swamp barrel
Dark Cherry is my 50 cal with swamp barrel, both have side patch boxes inlet.
My priming horn and day horn with holds about 2 shots.

Muzzle loading opens up to you a vast amount of possibility to to which one can be drawn into making accouterments, carving stocks.

I went as far as joining a French Indian war group reenacting and shooting and camping at rendezvouses.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMGA0367.JPG
    IMGA0367.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMGA0368.JPG
    IMGA0368.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 168
I got mine simply to extend my hunting time. Indiana has a muzzleloader only season, and I`m there, as well as early and late archery seasons, and general firearms seasons.

I am a hunter so any season or any means by which to take game with interest me. I own a Omega with a scope that I shoot saboted Barnes MZ's over Blackhorn 209. I also have a Lyman greatplains flintlock I shoot nothing but balls out of. Love em both for what they are.

mdcrossbow your rifles are awesome!! Love that curly 54 but frankly both are superb.:hump:

MRD the 54 is Ky style 1780's and the 50 in Pa style 1760's

I am also getting to the point where I need to have assistance in seeing my target. So an in-line is nice to use once in a while.

i like the muzz hunts in ore as tag numbers are low,some elk hunts are before the rifle hunters and some of the deer hunts are closer to rut times,also reach out a little more than bowhunting ranges yet if you use bowhunting tactics the combo works well.

In the last 20 years I've harvested more deer with a Hawken 50 than anything else; helps me connect with my g-grandfather who hunted with a 45 sidelock and 16ga frontloader shotgun. Keeps me out of the woods with the dummies and brushbusters, and besides; I like the smell of the smoke.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back