Why does it have to be this way?

Do you like traditional thanksgiving fare?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 98 52.7%
  • Yes, but mostly because of the tradition

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • No, but i do like the tradition of it

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • No i'd absolutely prefer other stuff. tradition be damned.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • Don't care, i'm too busy blasting forkies in montana on thanksgiving day

Votes: 18 9.7%

• Total voters
4186616E-7045-4C63-B2C5-F4FA42ED2630.jpegMy family always has me cook it this way. A friend shared it with me 5 years ago and it was a big hit. It’s a lot of work but makes for some great leftovers. I like the meal for time with family and the traditional-aspect of it.

I'm not a huge fan of turkey, and look forward more to the leftover dishes as @Gellar mentioned. But Thanksgiving is my wife's favorite day of the year, surpassing any other holiday, certainly any celebratory day based on meeting me, and probably our kids' birthdays because she hates birthday parties. I will happily eat whatever is served on this one day of 365.

This is why people hate my generation and younger. Traditions be damned!! Haha.

Seriously tho if your hosting cook what ya want lunatic. 🤪

I like turkey. This time of year, when the stores are practically giving them away, I fill my freezer. I have seven in there right now. The mashed potatoes, buttermilk Busquets and the stuffing are all just on the plate as a means of corralling the massive amounts of gravy. My wife is the pumpkin pie queen. I grow the pumpkins and between thanksgiving and Christmas she will make 25-30 pies. Everyone gets a damn pumpkin pie whether they like it or not. I like it alright myself, but I do insist that an apple pie is served as well. Gotta have the cranberry sauce. Deviled eggs? Yes. I always make a smoked salmon dip to go along with all the other dips and chips, that keep everybody happy before dinner is ready. At last count we have 20 people coming over for Thanksgiving. Small gathering compared to Christmas. On top of that I have to attend a 4-year old's birthday party tonight.

Can't figure out why I'm so damn fat.

A few thoughts:

1. Well done on designing the poll. Truly an option for everyone, even the Montanans.

2. I appreciate the spirit of your argument, i.e. nontraditional Thanksgiving foods should be embraced.

3. I recognize that a big part of the issue may be that you had the misfortune of not growing up eating Thanksgiving in the South. Notes to that end:

- You clearly haven't ever had a turkey fried in peanut oil.
- Not only is macaroni and cheese allowed at Thanksgiving, it's actually a problem if it's not at Thanksgiving.
- I see no mention of cooked greens, neither collard nor mustard, which tells me you are unaware the existence of the greatest cooked vegetable dish of all time?
- Finally, and perhaps most importantly, sweet potato casserole is not "pretty good." Sweet potato casserole is amongst the finest of foods known to man and perhaps even proof that God exists. The fact that you don't understand this tells me.... that you never had it when MY mom made it.

Answer me this and think carefully before you do: Deviled eggs yay or nay?

good points. one my high school girlfriends moether was born and raised southern. everything out of that kitchen was made with the hand of god.

deviled eggs? absolutely.

it's like the traditional american adage, especially corporate and consulting america.

Young, bright eyed, motivated, freshly educated employee: why do we do it this way boss? seems kinda ineffecient, or, bad, frankly.

boss: well young un, cuz that's the way we've always done it.

Damn I love a good traditional Thanksgiving meal. I have learned over the years to make a pretty dang good one. Its all about not overcooking the bird, the stuffing and the gravy for me. Gotta have cranberries and lefse as well. My favorite holiday because for us it is just getting together without the stress of Christmas.tradition.gif

lefse as well.

ah, good mention of the lefse. but that's our usual christmas fare, not thanksgiving.

at least christmas you usually get two meals out of it. eve and day. so, usually at least one of them ends up being great.

barbequed turkey sandwiches with fresh onion slices, coleslaw, and spicy barbeque sauce.

that's the best way imaginable to have a turkey based thanksgiving IMO. apple pie and ice cream naturally goes great with that. potatoes au gratin and a side of porky baked beans. cold beer, watch the game.

honestly if it was just smoked turkey legs that'd be great too.

My Grandmother made me lefse whenever I wanted. She was really good at it. Miss it this time of year. mtmuley
There is definitely an art to it. It is a lot of work. You can usually buy it in the grocery store. There is a place in Opheim that makes it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back