Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Why are non-resident hunters allowed tags in limited quota areas ?

Apply for a NR elk tag in North Dakota.
I grew up on a farm that boarded thousands of acres of Federal land. Never saw an elk.

I live and grew up in Alabama. There is almost no huntable private land near me and what is there is so over hunted it’s thought of as not worth your time unless you have nowhere else to go. I have leased land my entire adult life. Here you either pay through the nose to hunt or have family or friends that own land. Before I started hunting out West, I thought Utah had a legitimate gripe about all of the Federally owned land in the state. I supported public land transfer because I was ignorant. The only thing that changed my mind was hunting as a non-resident. Since then, I have called and written my Senators and Representatives many times over public land issues. If you think it’s right to dump all over nonresidents, don’t ask for help the next time Mike Lee or whoever comes for the BLM land near you. I can always go back to my leases and go with an outfitter every couple of years instead of public land every year. It’s a short step from no draw units to no general units as well in my mind. The selfishness of this original statement is astounding and shortsighted in the extreme to me.

Maybe we should just build a wall around MT to keep all those rotten bastards out. How dare they drive on our roads, use our hospitals, and call our police!

Get over it dude. Everyone should at least have some kind of chance to draw a tag. Up to 10% is still pretty low. Just because we live in MT doesn't mean we get to keep everything to ourselves.
Yep and make sure anyone who is for building that wall is never allowed to vacation in any other state for any reason.

I honestly believe that in MT we need to take a look at NR allocations along with resident license fees. Resident license fees are ridiculously cheap IMO.
Of course FWP and the outfitter/ranch lobby needs hordes of NR hunters to help with there war on game animals.

NR license sales constitute about 70% of all license sales.

I'm totally fine with the up to 10% allocation, and personally I don't see a problem with a hardline 10%, though understand the arguments against that.

So if we're really wanting to increase NR prices to hit that extra revenue loss from eliminating a portion of NR license sales, then we need to do a lot of thinking towards how we fund:

Habitat Montana, Block Management, Fishing Access Sights, Upland Game Bird Habitat Improvement and make up for a massive hole in the General license account that pays for everything the agency does in terms of biology, habitat, law enforcement and fisheries.

I'm totally fine with the up to 10% allocation, and personally I don't see a problem with a hardline 10%, though understand the arguments against that.

So if we're really wanting to increase NR prices to hit that extra revenue loss from eliminating a portion of NR license sales, then we need to do a lot of thinking towards how we fund:

Habitat Montana, Block Management, Fishing Access Sights, Upland Game Bird Habitat Improvement and make up for a massive hole in the General license account that pays for everything the agency does in terms of biology, habitat, law enforcement and fisheries.
Yep fight amongst ourselves about a handful of tags rather try and improve the situation.

Eliminate domestic sheep in the west.

Increase landowner tolerance for wildlife.

Remove or discuss, shoulder seasons, roster hunts, 5 deer tags in some units.

Timber issues, over grazing issues, close down roads... etc etc etc.

Not a MT problem it's a western problem.

I swear if there were 3 elk left in the US 99% of the hunters would be in a fist fight deciding who gets to shoot them.

@Oak This is why I'm on the fence about writing CPW about tag allocation, it's as slippery a slope as they come. MT has 10% allocation residents bitch, WY doesn't allow NR into wilderness areas and has a low quota, sniveling. There is no scenario where residents draw MSG and Premium elk and deer tags every year. Most won't be happy until all NR are shut out, then it will be a discussion of limiting hunting to people from that area, the rhetoric about region 6 plates in MT is already pretty ridiculous.

I think we need to have a higher tolerance for whining, and look at the work you do. Focus on putting animals on the mountain, focus on the habitat.

(sorry Ben none of this relates to your comments if I'm being honest, just the discussion in general)

Last edited:
Yep fight amongst ourselves about a handful of tags rather try and improve the situation.

Eliminate domestic sheep in the west.

Increase landowner tolerance for wildlife.

Remove or discuss, shoulder seasons, roster hunts, 5 deer tags in some units.

Timber issues, over grazing issues, close down roads... etc etc etc.

Not a MT problem it's a western problem.

I swear if there were 3 elk left in the US 99% of the hunters would be in a fist fight deciding who gets to shoot them.

@Oak This is why I'm on the fence about writing CPW about tag allocation, it's as slippery a slope as they come. MT has 10% allocation residents bitch, WY doesn't allow NR into wilderness areas and has a low quota, sniveling. There is no scenario where residents draw MSG and Premium elk and deer tags every year. Most won't be happy until all NR are shut out, then it will be a discussion of limiting hunting to people from that area, the rhetoric about region 6 plates in MT is already pretty ridiculous.

I think we need to have a higher tolerance for whining, and look at the work you do. Focus on putting animals on the mountain, focus on the habitat.

(sorry Ben no of this relates to your comments if I'm being honest, just the discussion in general)

We're a victim of our own success & greed.

Welcome to humanity. It's a show on a loop.

You missed the part where I mentioned resident license costs need to be looked at as well.

As a resident and taxpayer here in Montana, I have wondered why non residents are given permits ahead of any resident in limited quota areas? I know the FWP sets a side up to 10%, but why should ANY NR get a tag over a resident? I understand a NR hunting in general areas, and the fact that Montana has substantial federal land holdings has led to this 10% NR allotment. But in my opinion, a resident should have first chance at ALL tags that are on a quota system, then, if any remain, NR can apply. There would still be many opportunities left in general areas, but as a resident, we should have propriety over a NR.
Money.

Come on, we've been on here enough for sarcasm to be obvious, but I'm tired this evening so maybe it's not as obvious as I thought. But that would be the net of this mentality. Like a park no one can visit, the fate would be imminent.
Fair enough, crack a cold one 🍺

I 100% agree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back