Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Who's ready to ski!

I haven't been skiing in over a decade and probably won't again. I do fondly remember my mom and dad teaching me though. We lived in Germany for years when my dad was in the army. Once a winter we'd go to the Austrian alps for a week and ski. One day I'm gonna go back to Bischofshofen.20230409_111807.jpg20230409_111658.jpg

I have new skis, bindings, and boots this year. Local mountain doesn't have enough to ski still. Luckily as a season pass holder there are mountains that are honoring my pass. I need to get my rocks skis waxed and we're in business to shred some groomers

EDIT: my knees cannot handle the bumps anymore. I started PT for it but I think we're demoted to groomers 😢

Last edited:
Knees a little old now, but fondly remember the back side of Big Sky; several miles long, no lines. Guess that doesn't exist anymore.

I grew up only on cross-country gear - and loved every minute of it. In my early 20's I was skiing / touring / going places in the winter that were awesome but the ski gear was lacking for longer treks and terrain. I was introduced into tele - and while I could go where ever I wanted with the better gear; my technique was lacking.

I wanted my kids to learn early how to downhill as a primary - and they are both great skiers for their ages (14 and 11). I'm looking forward to taking them to places when they are older that aren't lift-served. It's amazing the country you can cover in the winter and the places you can go where there aren't folks. I moved to alpine gear a few years ago to keep up with the kids and not run a higher risk of tearing up a joint.

Lots of family stories of my folks running trap lines on ski's, some very recent. It's a great winter skill to have.

Skis are an absolutely beautiful way to travel in the mountains.

When you return to the root of skiing, ie traveling on them, it becomes an incredibly rewarding past time for the year round outdoorsman. Not to say powder skiing isn’t fun too, grin.

I skied over 60 days last year and never rode a lift.

One can never be bored by powder skiing because it is a special gift of the relationship between earth and sky. It only comes in sufficient amounts in particular places, at certain times on this earth; it lasts only a limited amount of time before sun or wind changes it. People devote their lives to it for the pleasure of being so purely played by gravity and snow. — Dolores LaChapelle

When you put it in that context, makes a whole lotta sense.

Also, what’d those chili fries cost?

Not my pic, but a luxury item like that is going for at least burger prices.

I predominantly do Nordic ski-joring with my dogs; our house is ski in/ski out to the local downhill ski area; but I find that boring. Occasionally I’ll A/T up the hill with the dogs.

Love watching the groomers running at night and summer concerts during the summer.

IMG_2284.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg

I have lived just a short drive from major ski areas my entire life. Never been on a pair of downhill skis or a board. Refuse to stand in lines and crowds. And now the costs my friends pay are ridiculous.
Cost not withstanding, I skied 57 days last year and seldom waited more than 2-3 deep in a lift line. Mostly skied straight onto the chair - at a pretty popular resort. I get there early, usually first 10 chairs up the hill, get 10-15 laps in in 90 minutes and blow out of there while the tourists are still figuring out how to get their boots on and doing “warm ups” on the lower mountain. It ain’t cheap though! But I spend way more hunting than skiing.

Last edited:
I have new skis, bindings, and boots this year. Local mountain doesn't have enough to ski still. Luckily as a season pass holder there are mountains that are honoring my pass. I need to get my rocks skis waxed and we're in business to shred some groomers

EDIT: my knees cannot handle the bumps anymore. I started PT for it but I think we're demoted to groomers 😢
Waxing rock skis is a waste of money - Wildabeest

I'm not going to lie, though I have a season pass, and have had one for several years now, by the 5th or 6th day on the hill I find skiing to be pretty boring. I'd much prefer to snowbird and mess around in the desert in the winter

I'm not going to lie, though I have a season pass, and have had one for several years now, by the 5th or 6th day on the hill I find skiing to be pretty boring. I'd much prefer to snowbird and mess around in the desert in the winter
My life has 3 seasons - hiking (May-Aug), hunting (Sep-Nov) and skiing (Nov-Apr). All in alpine climates. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Hem
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back