Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Who Plans to take a Kid Hunting in 2015 ??

F250

I posted the following under the thread of "Cool Story". However, I thought the subject of taking a kid hunting was important enough to have it's own thread and begin a discussion of that topic. Perhaps Randy would consider filming an episode where he takes a kid hunting on public land.

The National Wildlife Refuge that is located in my former patrol area, has a Jr. Waterfowl Program. Up to 30 kids can sign up for the one day training course held in August, that includes waterfowl ID, shotgun patterning (their shotgun), shooting clay birds, water safety, regulations, etc. The kids then draw for blinds in the "closed" area of the Refuge where only the kids are allowed to hunt on specific days during the season. Great program !! Started around 1976. I have personally guided 7 kids through the program in addition to being a training day instructor for over 25 years.

The state where I live also has a youth deer hunting weekend prior to the general rifle season. I was once approached by a man I had arrested several times for poaching deer. He asked me to guide his son during the youth weekend to show the boy, "how to do it right". I guided the boy for two years. We had a great time and he killed deer both years. The young man, now married, is an accomplished deer hunter traveling to several states each year.

Want to have some fun ? Take a kid hunting !!!

I will in about 2 hours. The neighbor and I are having a 'boys hunt' this weekend. We're taking our 7year olds out for a last gasp try for a deer, maybe a squirrel, but just lots of fun.

I take a kid every year on youth hunts. It started when my kids were old enough to apply for our local National Wildlife Refuge youth hunts when they were 10. They each went the 6 years until they were too old, then every year since I'll take one of our youths from church. Everyone there knows I hunt. Every year I'll have that one kid who will ask about hunting that has no way of going with their parents for various reasons. I'll talk to the parent, who seems to be more excited than their kid, then I'll ask if they're interested in going on the refuge youth hunt. It's a one day youth hunt, and in all of the years of going, this past Oct was the first year that we were unsuccessful on taking a deer. I promised him that I would take him turkey hunting this April and we'll try again next year on the youth hunt.
One thing that I do like about that particular youth hunt is that they have it on the first Saturday in Oct, well before the deer have been hunted and pressured.

So, to answer your question, yes I do, and I love it! Very rewarding!

Last edited:
Take my boys and their friends here in Pa.every season.In fact I rarely hunt here anymore because of it.Looking to take my oldest on his 1st elk or muley hunt this year in Co to use up his points on a youth tag.Been putting a lot of time researching units for his points to give him the best hunt

I would love to take a kid out in the MT youth season. F250- do you know of a way through FWP to get in contact with a kid that doesn't have someone to take him out otherwise?

Well next year will be a lil bitter sweet for me in the area. The boy will be away at college for deer/elk season and the little one will only be 11 ( gotta be 12 here in CO for big game). Hopefully we will get back home to IN for Thanksgiving. If so I will get her out in the woods. I may put in for another RFW hunt if there is one that will line up with a school break so I can at least get her out there...Can't wait for fall 16 though, and neither can she :) Big Bonus is that I will get to buy her another gun too!!

Well next year will be a lil bitter sweet for me in the area. The boy will be away at college for deer/elk season and the little one will only be 11 ( gotta be 12 here in CO for big game). Hopefully we will get back home to IN for Thanksgiving. If so I will get her out in the woods. I may put in for another RFW hunt if there is one that will line up with a school break so I can at least get her out there...Can't wait for fall 16 though, and neither can she :) Big Bonus is that I will get to buy her another gun too!!

Spring and fall turkey, you can get her out twice besides any small game

Randy11. You can try making contacts through your local Fish and Game Club if you have one. The Local Warden should have his finger on the pulse of the community, and may know of a young person interested in hunting that is without a mentor. You can also try the local Boy Scout Troop. Hunter Education Instructors are another good source of contacts. Be prepared to prove that you are a good person, safe hunter, have a good reputation in the community, and can provide character references. Parents today will be very careful about who they allow to have contact with their children. Have fun !!

Thanks for the tip F250. I was going to post the same question as Randy11. I was working with my nephew a few years ago, but he just didn't have that much interest in it. HE enjoyed himself, and he can shoot, I don't know what happened. Kids get older I guess, and move onto other things in life. I introduced a lady I work with to deer hunting. She loves it and is now going on her own. Shes going to pick up archery this coming year. I look into those places you mentioned.

My oldest daughter for turkey and deer with a gun.

My real motive is to get her draw weight up enough for archery antelope. She took one with a rifle, but she wants one with her bow now.

Winter archery league started yesterday, so we're working on it. My two oldest were shooting pretty good for the first day, of course I'm biased.:D

I have 4 grand kids that all like outdoor sports. I passed on a muzzleloader elk hunt last fall so I go o n a youth hunt with the kids. Probably will again.No regrets ,had a great time.

Jarrod has been taking a Young marine stationed in DC and a vet out hunting this year. FRIDAY HE TOOK A 16 YEAR OLD out for his 1st hunt after getting him shooting good with his new bow. So on the way out an old buck that was a 10 point last year and down two points stepped out. Buck fever got him and at 20 yards the shot was low. This buck would have been dead if one of the other 2 had that shot. I really hope Dan the Marine gets him. He's a good kid.

I could not agree with F250 more, it is such a great feeling when you are fortunate enough to mentor a young hunter. I am a Hunter Education Instructor for NE PA. We run a junior hunter turkey hunt each Spring through our church. Usually we have 12 - 15 youths take part in this program. Each young hunter is taken out by an experienced Mentor. I do a safety program the night prior, provide food and instructions on how the hunt will take place. The next morning all mentors and their junior hunters spread throughout N.E. Pa to chase the elusive Eastern turkey. We all meet up again after noon for lunch and to hear all about the eventful day. What a gift to be able to experience the awakening of a new hunters spirit. I had a 12 year old boy shaking with so much excitement he could not keep the gun barrel from moving. Get out there and enjoy.

Took my 7yo out for a last gasp effort to get him another deer this past weekend. The deer did cooperate. However, one squirrel just kept taunting us so I turned him loose. A 357 Mag is very sufficient for a red squirrel (new species for us) at 35 yards! :D Taking kids, especially as young as mine, is a bit of a challenge and takes a different mindset. I just try to make it as fun as possible for them and let what happens, happen.

I took my cousin's 8 year old out earlier this year for squirrels, and just never could get him lined up on one through the thick leaves. If we get any decent weather this month, I'll see if I can borrow him again now that deer season's done here. I think we'll leave the .357 at home though and bring the .22s ;)

My girls are 6 and 3, I'm gonna see if my 6 year old has any interest in shooting this spring / summer, and then maybe get her after some squirrels next season if she likes it.

I have taken my kids out (ages 10, 6, and 6) since they were 3. I love every minute of it. I also have put on a Youth Outdoor Activity Day that had 542 kids at it last year. This fall, I took a neighbor kid out (his parents don't hunt) on a couple of duck hunts. It sure is satisfying! I would challenge everyone who reads this thread to find a kid (other than their own) to take hunting at least once in 2015. Step out of your comfort zone and put in the work to find someone, it isn't all that hard!

I took my cousin's 8 year old out earlier this year for squirrels, and just never could get him lined up on one through the thick leaves. If we get any decent weather this month, I'll see if I can borrow him again now that deer season's done here. I think we'll leave the .357 at home though and bring the .22s ;)

My girls are 6 and 3, I'm gonna see if my 6 year old has any interest in shooting this spring / summer, and then maybe get her after some squirrels next season if she likes it.
Yeah, the .22 will be going next time. Run what you brung though... :D

I found it hard to get him on one fast enough when the leaves were on. I'm thinking we'll be sitting in our treestands or ground blind and just let them come to us. Sitting still is not always possible, plus either of those option come with built in gun rests. Hoping to get him out a couple more times before the season ends.

My nephew lives in Colorado and comes up every year for either Christmas or Thanksgiving. His parents aren't the "outdoor type" so his only exposure to hunting is through me. I make sure to take him duck hunting at least once while he's in town, and he tells me this year he'll be taking hunter's ed in Colorado so next year when he comes up he can shoot too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back