Who hunts on leftover tags?

Rooster52

the last 7 years I only have hunted on leftover tags in Wyoming. This year I drew a cow elk tag but in the future I will be waiting for leftover tags.Not a bad unit in the whole state.Some better access but non are bad. I have always found a place to hunt.I find it fun to learn a new unit that I never hunted.Also by the time the leftovers are for sale ,my home state has the season dates and draws posted.

If I draw a tag, I like to pick up a leftover or 2 to go with it.

If we draw our antelope tags this year, I'll be picking up a leftover whitetail doe tag for the same area. Maybe some antelope doe tags for a nearby area.

Everyone will be soon there Rooster. Drawing doesn't happen much - point creep and too few tags. Or fewer and fewer opportunities. Over the Counter tags / units are where they want you to hunt.
Leftover tags are slowly going away imo.

I've hunted antelope on leftovers for the last 3 years and will do the same this year depending on the deer draw results

I've tried twice to get leftover tags for doe antelope without success. Even though I've been sitting at my computer, open to the WY DFG website the minute the tags go on sale, by the time I "click" the buttons, the tags are gone. What's the secret?

I'll be trying to pick up a leftover cow tag and a leftover doe antelope tag this year. Maybe the fastest internet connection I can find will help.

I've tried twice to get leftover tags for doe antelope without success. Even though I've been sitting at my computer, open to the WY DFG website the minute the tags go on sale, by the time I "click" the buttons, the tags are gone. What's the secret?

Since they have cut numbers, it is harder to get some of them. A unit that I have hunted used to have permits available even during the hunt, but no more. If the numbers get back up, then it will return to the good levels of before.

last year i got a limted entry muley buck tag! 2 antelope bucks and 2 antelope does on leftovers. used every tag :) and the muley was a dandy 3x3

We have had good success with left over tags, but you have to be pretty fast on the computer once they open up the purchase process, especially if you want some of the better units. In 2013 we had antelope doe tags in 77 and 114(on or within 800yds of irrigated land) ranchers were more than accommodating and it was by far the best tasting antelope I have eaten. They were thick as thieves in the sugar beet fields. Saw some nice bucks in 77 but no tag. I've got landowner lists/etc if interested.

I have lurking on this site for awhile, decided it was time to start posting.

Here is my 2014 WY Leftover buck. Ended up right at 73". There are usually some great hunts leftover but as others have said it has been much harder since they cut the tag numbers.

Attachments

• Tyler Matthews 2014 WY.jpg
    Tyler Matthews 2014 WY.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,140
I hunt Leftovers every year. Yea theres more people, less access and harder work BUT its worth it. Sometimes you even find really good spots.

Nice goat!

Going to be looking for leftover doe antelope tags to go with my archery elk hunt in unit 21.hope there is something left over close to that area.

unit 45 use to have left over buck and doe tags.Gun starts around the 10th sept in the unit and makes a great combo hunt with archery elk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back