Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Who hear all wheres snake boots

Miller, been running into them off and on since 1983 when I first moved to Deer Lodge. I have always worked around outbuildings, equipment and spend a good bit of time crawling under stuff. Makes you get a bit careful about about where you stand when you uncover a well pumphouse, or just walk in the dark into an old garage or granery. When we lived over on the front by Choteau it we had no problems with them, but the neighbors on each side of us had killed them in the yard and had both thier dogs bit. I kept the yard cut low, and did a bunch of rodent preventitive and it seemed to work. Only ran into them when we went to places like Pishcan. While down in Wyoming about two years ago, my son just about stepped on one. Close enough to make it coil and set off the buzzer. Never had any bad scares, and don't go out of my way lookin to kill them but have a huge amount of respect for the damage they can inflict. My analogies are totally valid. Safety gear, when not expensive or bothersome to wear can never be blown off as foolish. I bet you spend more on sunglasses and sandels than a pair of snake boots costs, so can't figure why you would tell someone who has said he is not fond of snake experiences to save his money. If wearing them makes the quality of his trip more enjoyable more power to him.

While antelope hunting.I am trying to decide if I should pick up some snake boots or if it would be a waste of money for a oct 1st antelope hunt in wyoming.I dont like snakes by the way.

so can't figure why you would tell someone who has said he is not fond of snake experiences to save his money. If wearing them makes the quality of his trip more enjoyable more power to him.

I told him because he was asking for opinions. I gave him mine.

Add me to that list of folks that "is not fond of snake experiences". That being said, I will not be wearing snake boots and packing a snake bite kit with me everytime I am working or playing in the field. I am more likely to to be stung to death by bees than taken out by a rattlesnake.

mtmiller- Out of curiousity, what size are most of the prairie rattlesnakes you have seen (length and radius)? I had a disagreement with someone about the size of prairie rattlesnakes. Are there only prairie rattlesnakes in the area or do you have other types also?

mtmiller- Out of curiousity, what size are most of the prairie rattlesnakes you have seen (length and radius)? I had a disagreement with someone about the size of prairie rattlesnakes. Are there only prairie rattlesnakes in the area or do you have other types also?

How do you measure the radius of a snake?

Matt, just prairie rattlesnakes for venomous snakes in this area. As for size, I would 3 - 3.5 feet would be a pretty good sized rattler. Often see them less than 3 feet in lengh.

Not sure about circumference, but this shorty was a fatty.;) Obviously very full.

Attachments

• 6-17-09 003-comp.jpg
    6-17-09 003-comp.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 78
in eastern oregon on a very short scouting trip that i took my wife with me, we saw 3 snakes. she was so scared that i told her we could leave and to just step where i do and we'll head back to the truck. i went about 50 yards and stepped right over one in stride that never rattled. he was sunning himself. she went bizzzerk!!!!! i couldnt believe that i didnt see it, pretty big snake might i add. went back and looked at it and didnt move. tossed a rock at it and that got its attn ....then it rattled.

anyway, i went straight home, dropped off the wife, drove to sportsmans and bought snake gaitors. i wore them once and then realized id rather be bitten than wear those damn things every time out. call me and you can have mine! im in boise.

This guy was pretty short and very pissy. We are probably related somehow.

Attachments

• P1020192_comp.jpg
    P1020192_comp.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 81
This guy was well hidden in the deep grass and scared the crap out of me. Pretty sure I was wearing shorts and sandals this day as well.:D

Attachments

• Rattlesnake.jpgcomp.jpg
    Rattlesnake.jpgcomp.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 80
just carry a sharp knife youll be fine

Attachments

• rattlers1.jpg
    rattlers1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 128
  • rattlers2.jpg
    rattlers2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 120
Guys,

Could we just let this thread die???

The title just makes all hunters look like un-edjumacated idiots....
Yea I know it should read who here all wears snake boots I caught it right after I posted it but could not figure out how to edit the title sorry.

just carry a sharp knife youll be fine
Thanks for everyones input I was not going to buy any after the first 10 post but after this one and all the other snake pics I said f#$*& it I am buying the boots LOL

I told him because he was asking for opinions. I gave him mine.

Add me to that list of folks that "is not fond of snake experiences". That being said, I will not be wearing snake boots and packing a snake bite kit with me everytime I am working or playing in the field. I am more likely to to be stung to death by bees than taken out by a rattlesnake.
This one really struck home as I am allergic to bees that reminds me to bring my epipen with me.Now I am scared LOL I better call wyoming and tell them to cancel my application! On a serious note though thanks again for the help and opinions.

miller- Do you wear snake proof socks with your Tevas??

I like my Chaco's, but am terribly afraid of snakes...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flight343
Back