PEAX Equipment

Who has the biggest Black Bear!?!

True, but I think the majority are from tree stands. I just got rubbed the wrong way that you had to be over bait to make a humane shot.

That's not what I was saying in any shape or form.

And the two bears mentioned were shot from a ground blind.

Which has nothing to do with my post anyway.

I've been lucky enough to take 1 bear here in PA and 1 bear in Maine. Both were less than 200 lbs. If you're really looking for a large black bear the salmon eating bears in SEAK, Vancouver island, or other parts of BC might be worth looking into.
We've literally fished with black bears on POW but that was in August. I think their Fall season opens September 1st.

I didn't mean to give you a hard time. I was just in one of those old man moods. I need to shut up when i'm in one of those.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . . the biggest bears that won’t break the bank are probably in Wisconsin. That said, unless you’re a local, you’ll want to go guided. You can find good guides for $1,000-$2,000. Which is not breaking the bank in my opinion.

And I hate to say it, but our tags and points are WAY TOO CHEAP for nonresidents - changing that situation doesn’t appear to be on anyone’s radar either. But boy, I could see where a guy would really have to make a tough choice if they doubled the point cost to $9.00.

Last edited:
Your hunt in Newfoundland is a hard one to beat, based on what I have read. They kill some monster bears and there are a lot of bears. I had a tag, when I went moose hunting and we glassed up bears, but the weather kept beating us. One of the bear-specific guides could probably put you on some giants.

I dunno how high I am on bears over barrels, not saying I wouldn't do it but it isn't the same ad going out and hunting them spot and stalk.
Have to say if I was going to do a archery baited barrel hunt there'd have to be some fishing involved during the day. I can't sit in a tree stand all day. Northern Saskatchewan has my interest or BC. Alaska spot and stalk has would be awesome to. My brother guides up there and they come across some giants while hunting brown bears.

Every area of North America has a method that is most effective, that is the beautiful thing about bear hunting. Catch walleyes and relax for a week while hunting bait in northern forest. Run your ass off and get involved in the control chaos of a hound hunt in the swamp. Enjoy some solitude and camping in an early spring spot and stalk on a mountain. Bear hunting has it all.

Every area of North America has a method that is most effective, that is the beautiful thing about bear hunting. Catch walleyes and relax for a week while hunting bait in northern forest. Run your ass off and get involved in the control chaos of a hound hunt in the swamp. Enjoy some solitude and camping in an early spring spot and stalk on a mountain. Bear hunting has it all.
The hounds idea is an absolute dream of mine. Bear hunting is something pretty damn special it doesn't get much better than sitting on a ridge on a beautiful spring day watching the mountains come back to life from a long winter. One never what kind of adventures he may encounter during a evening trip.

Another one for NC. The Coast has some absolute monsters! Here in the mountains we see bears in the 400-500 lb range a decent amount with one crossing above that on a rare occasion. But, it is a pretty hunt in the mountains.
We saw some monsters in Idaho this year while elk hunting....

Arizona has some big bears and it can be a pretty rough hunt in some places. They call them and also do a spot and stalk, as the bears come out to feed on the prickly pear in the fall.

I've been lucky enough to take 1 bear here in PA and 1 bear in Maine. Both were less than 200 lbs. If you're really looking for a large black bear the salmon eating bears in SEAK, Vancouver island, or other parts of BC might be worth looking into.
We've literally fished with black bears on POW but that was in August. I think their Fall season opens September 1st.
I cant imagine that fish eating bears would be good to eat.

Love the color phase bears I have 3 black from my home state Pa but color phase is very rare here I think 2 were harvested this yr out of 4300

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back