Yeti GOBOX Collection

Who builds custom WOOD/BLUED bolt-action hunting rifles built around Mauser controlled-feed actions?

Ps. @Ben Lamb and @BrentD still looking for a good side by sideā€¦ there is something about the Parker I really like, definitely want a 16. šŸ¤” I kinda like the beat up ones if Iā€™m being honest. Kinda like the idea of taking out a gun thatā€™s been hunted.
Take a short road trip to Connecticut Shotguns, they might have what you want or can make it for you. Either way, best of luck in your search

Lotta love, but Millennialsā€¦we gotsta have some taste beyond avocado toast. ;)

I pop an empty mag out of my stock Tikka ā€¦ouch the plasticity of the thing. By that token, AR15>WR
View attachment 207342
There was a hilarious chuck hawks tikka diatribe a while back, he listed all the flaws and then was like ā€œwell who cares if they are really accurate right out of the box with factory ammo, hunting rifles only need to be 2 MOAā€.

I mean if thatā€™s not a get of my lawn boomer statement I donā€™t know what is.

It costs way more to make handmaid anything today, thatā€™s specifically the reason savage gives for not bringing back the 99.

People buy/build all kinds of guns today, I think if anything the difference between this generation of firearms and previous is the amount of DIY customization. There is a ton of hand fitting going on itā€™s just by the consumer to get exactly what they want, not done by the factory.

How many people were doing custom builds on Ford Model Ts?

Times change.

If anything ā€œmillennialsā€ are less lazy because they are willing to teach themselves smithing and work on their firearms while ā€œboomersā€ wanted someone else to do it so all they had to do was shove it in their safe.

There was a hilarious chuck hawks tikka diatribe a while back, he listed all the flaws and then was like ā€œwell who cares if they are really accurate right out of the box with factory ammo, hunting rifles only need to be 2 MOAā€.

I mean if thatā€™s not a get of my lawn boomer statement I donā€™t know what is.

It costs way more to make handmaid anything today, thatā€™s specifically the reason savage gives for not bringing back the 99.

People buy/build all kinds of guns today, I think if anything the difference between this generation of firearms and previous is the amount of DIY customization. There is a ton of hand fitting going on itā€™s just by the consumer to get exactly what they want, not done by the factory.

How many people were doing custom builds on Ford Model Ts?

Times change.

If anything ā€œmillennialsā€ are less lazy because they are willing to teach themselves smithing and work on their firearms while ā€œboomersā€ wanted someone else to do it so all they had to do was shove it in their safe.

exam-superbad.gif

the rifle that is becoming my primary rifle is an older British made rifle with a pretty wood stock and a Mauser action. OP would hate it because some young punks put a scope on it I guess. Also it's in .308 not 6.5 Creedmoor šŸ˜©

And the Mauser isn't janky, William. šŸ˜¤

As a boomer, I'm going to disagree strongly. I've taught myself to do finishing, inletting, bedding, rust bluing, and leather-covered buttpads, among other things. I've also learned how to act as my own general contractor in conducting the orchestra of people needed to create a really fantastic custom gun. I think boomers can float their own boats just fine. Terrible Tom excepted.

Last edited:
As a boomer, I'm going to disagree strongly. I've taught myself to do finishing, inletting, bedding, rust bluing, and leather-covered buttpads, among other things. I've also learned how to act as my own general contractor in conducting the orchestra of people needed to create a really fantastic custom guns. I think boomer can float their own boats just fine. Terrible Tom excepted.
Brent youā€™re a renaissance manā€¦ also I thought we were just making strong overly-broad unsubstantiated antagonist claims on this thread? Did I miss a memo?

Remember when boomers bought Japanese cars and instead of tearing down the engine and rebuilding it to painstakingly wring horsepower out of the big iron V-8 engines they just put coffee cans on the exhaust tips to make their aluminum 4 cylinder motors *sound* faster?

Me either. :D

36jq8a.jpg

Fine Iā€™ll say it, you boomers are a bunch of nostalgic fudeyduddies.

Tikka action > Mauser

Those old things are janky pieces of crap.

Wood super silly and dumb.

Blued what kinda idiotā€¦

In summation a Tikka veil is but every measure a much better rifle than a pre-64 model 70, husky-whatever. Anyone paying for the latter is not paying for performance rather, trying to reconnect with their youthā€¦ ainā€™t happening btw.

Ps. @Ben Lamb and @BrentD still looking for a good side by sideā€¦ there is something about the Parker I really like, definitely want a 16. šŸ¤” I kinda like the beat up ones if Iā€™m being honest. Kinda like the idea of taking out a gun thatā€™s been hunted.

Pss found a local shop that has boxes and boxes of the cardboard shells in 16ā€¦ thinking I will go buy them all out preemptively.
Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a Mauser action in terms of its usefulness. They went away because they are so costly to machine. My brother was shooting F-Class on a shoe string budget, and a guy who had recently set a record gave my dad the barrel he had set that record with after he had shot it out, and told my dad it would work well for my brother if it was set back and rechambered. It was a 30ā€ Bartlein straight 1.250ā€ chambered in 6.5x47L. My dad chambered it for 6.5CM, put it on a WWII Mauser action, in a homemade stock, and my brother won a club match at 530yds with it, shooting against many custom rifles, including the shooter who gave him the barrel.

A Mauser action with a match grade barrel setup by a good gunsmith will shoot about as well as most production actions, something better.

A Mauser action with a match grade barrel setup by a good gunsmith will shoot about as well as most production actions, something better.
In the end, the action is almost immaterial to the accuracy of the rifle. The quality of the barrel and the quality of the chambering and fitting to the receiver are what is important to accuracy

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a Mauser action in terms of its usefulness. They went away because they are so costly to machine. My brother was shooting F-Class on a shoe string budget, and a guy who had recently set a record gave my dad the barrel he had set that record with after he had shot it out, and told my dad it would work well for my brother if it was set back and rechambered. It was a 30ā€ Bartlein straight 1.250ā€ chambered in 6.5x47L. My dad chambered it for 6.5CM, put it on a WWII Mauser action, in a homemade stock, and my brother won a club match at 530yds with it, shooting against many custom rifles, including the shooter who gave him the barrel.

I was intentionally being a jackass ;)

Honestly though I donā€™t love Mausers/ model 70 actions because I shoot a right handed rifle with my left and when I throw the bolt it hits my hand. I donā€™t have the same issue with a 700/ weatherby or tikka. Entirely a me thing and not the rifle.

But what fun is the internet if you canā€™t bloviate.

In the end, the action is almost immaterial to the accuracy of the rifle. The quality of the barrel and the quality of the chambering and fitting to the receiver are what is important to accuracy
If youā€™re talking benchrest grade accuracy, there absolutely things about an action that can negatively interfere with the best barrel, and the best fit, especially if you are not correcting issues on the action during fitting. No, my brother wasnā€™t shooting benchrest and didnā€™t require that level of accuracy to be competitive.

I would say ā€œimmaterialā€ is a stretch but perhaps ā€œalmost immaterialā€ isnā€™t too far off.

Last edited:
If youā€™re talking benchrest grade accuracy, there absolutely things about an action that can negatively interfere with the best barrel, and the best fit, especially if you are not correcting issues on the action during fitting.

Well, I will extend that comment to benchrest, but I know what you are talking about. I just don't think the evidence is very strong to support it, however popularly espoused. I'm sort of a stickler for statistics, but that's just me.

In so far as fitting a barrel, I include facing the receiver to be square as part of that process.

Well, I will extend that comment to benchrest, but I know what you are talking about. I just don't think the evidence is very strong to support it, however popularly espoused. I'm sort of a stickler for statistics, but that's just me.

In so far as fitting a barrel, I include facing the receiver to be square as part of that process.
It would surprise me if things like fast lock time, and light firing pins moving short distances could not be statistically proven to be of benefit.

There are a lot of things benchrest shooters hang up on that are statistically meaningless, and thus probably are meaningless, and I donā€™t bother with them. I quit pursuing benchrest when I figured out that the difference between 1st place 20th place was often statistically insignificant, and that it took most of a season to figure out who was actually shooting better than someone else.

It would surprise me if things like fast lock time, and light firing pins moving short distances could not be statistically proven to be of benefit.
In benchrest, remember. Not offhand.

FWIW, I have 2 target rifles built on 1885 Winchesters. One is a .22 LR, the other a .45-70. I have several hammers for them, but one is a custom made, Titanium hammer that has no half @#)(# and falls from full @#)(# less than 1/4" The heavy steel hammer falls more like 3/4", so huge difference in weight and travel. Both are powered by the same dual flat and coil spring system. I can't time the hammer falls with each one, but they are pretty substantially different.

I cannot tell the difference in accuracy using either hammer on either rifle. I suspect it may be there, but that it would take literally 1000s of rounds of ammo to prove it.

I think the action's contribution to accuracy is pretty close to nil in almost all circumstances, but things like lock time and flex and so forth are being dramatically overstated to sell rifles, magazine articles, and all the things that go with them.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back