White's Boots...

I've worn their work boots for years when working in the woods during high school, to general out in the woods use. Used to wear them hunting, then got smart and started wearing lighter boots. Still have a set of their Pack boots that i believe they call the elk hunter or Packer or something like that, love them too. Good quality boots. My 2cents.

I got 6 years out of the uppers had them re soled every two years. I only got 4 years out of Hawthorne's one re sole and they were done. Both 12h days 6 day's a week. My feet are forever shaped like the inside of a whites boot.

I've owned 2 pairs of whites, and a pair of Nicks.

I bought my first pair of whites in 1988 and at the time paid about $225 for them.

Breaking them in is an ordeal, and the best way I found to do it was to fill them with water, let the water soak through, put them on and walk them dry. Then grease the chit out of them with peccards, obenaufs, or pitch blend.

Also, if you're not used to a lot of arch support, your feet will not like them for a while.

For durability, they're as tough as any boot I've worn, at least from a fire stand-point. I would typically trash the bottoms in a tough fire year...two years at most. I had one pair rebuilt 2 times before they were totally done. The second pair I had rebuilt once and they were done. I still have my Nicks, but havent worn them since around 1997.

I work in the woods probably 150 days a year and for the job I do now, they're really too much boot and too heavy. If you're going to use them for tough applications like fire fighting, I dont think they can be topped.

For hunting and if you spend a majority of your time hiking, I think there are better options.

Great boots for the intended purpose though.

Great boot for firefighting.......hunting not so much. They have no insulation, so your feet will get pretty cold. I will say, they are good for going up/down hill, with the heel, and good arch support.

Yeah I guess we should have asked what the intended purpose was. They are great for labor intensive work but a poor choice for a marathon:D

So NHY are you coming up to fight fires or to drill? :confused:

Spend most of my days on construction projects and cowboy boots just don't cut it anymore. With a new knee and sore back I want better footwear and fitment for ankle support and grip. Looks like excellent soles for motorcycle duty also.;) Have some 10" lace to toe smokejumpers on the way for size evaluation.

Overkill I realize, but quality is quality and they seem very diligent about fitment.Thanks again.

Last edited:
Little bro wore Whites for 15 years doing electrical work. Finally retired them and only wears them once in awhile hunting when his bad ankle starts up on him.

I have to agree with most of the statements. The only thing I would say is that I like the Nicks better than the Whites. Both good boots, but the Nicks are a little less money, and the folks in their store are way more helpfull and freindly. For you that probably won't matter since your probably not going to drive to Spokane where they build them. I am wearing a pair of Nicks that I have had 11 years now, rebuilt twice, and resoled twice. I just ordered a new set since these ones are going to be wore out this time. Great boot for working, but I sure don't wear them hunting. One word of advice I give everyone who is looking at them is be carefull because once your feet get used to them, you wont ever want to work in another pair of boots again.

My feet ache about trying to break in my first pair. I actually think they broke in my feet. I retired a pair last summer after 10 years and 2 resoles. I tried Hoffman's too and they were ok with a shorter heel than Whites.

My daily boots are a pair of Danner Temperate RAT factory seconds I got from "The Breakroom" website. I don't do much forestry/fire work anymore so they fit the bill for only about $80.

When I was a seasonal firefighter through college over a decade ago White's did the job. Never used them for hunting, but they did well in '94 when the fires were ripping in NW MT and the next 4 seasons.

I choose boots with flexible soles and I have the heels removed. Bar none, I've found this is the best way to move around in steep country. Ever since I committed to strengthening and improving my atrophied and deformed feet (which we all have thanks to the shoe habit), so that I can wear less on my feet, I've had much fewer problems. Just trying to be helpful with some new ideas...
Minimal-hunting-boots.jpg

I was never a big fan. Arch took some time to get my foot used to and wasn't a problem after. I did hate the toe. The leather was so soft it rubbed the top of my toes and blistered the tops. Almost everyone else I know, loves them, so I am in the minority.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back