White bear

seahuntr

I thought you would enjoy a picture of a kermode bear, a white phase of a black bear that I took a few years ago. A very rare bear. We were returning from Alaska through the islands of B.C. There are only on a few islands they live on.. I spotted it and approached the beach and stopped my boat. He was completed indiffent about my approach. We were about 15 feet from him. We were watching him over the bow as he watched us. The moment lasted about 10 minutes or so. I am trying to track my old crewmen to get more pictures.image.jpg

That is cool! I've been reading about them and plan to head up that way next month to check it out. I doubt we will be able to get to the island they are on but will some day.

One bear I wouldn't kill...

Is that similar to a glacier bear? Regardless a beautiful critter. Thanks for sharing!

Yup, glacier bears are a blue phase of a black bear. Mostly around Yakutat area. I think natives can hunt them. One of my crewman was native from Yatutat and has see them a few times.

Sweet. They are protected, right?

It sounds like all black bears in The Great Bear Rainforest recently became protected which upset a lot of outfitters. Only 2% of bears there are Kermode so they would like to hunt the black ones but the problem is black black bears can have the recessive gene that both parents need to have a Kermode cub.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back