Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Which stove you prefer with wall tent?

CMDavies0671

Im looking at a getting a montana canvas tent. looking at cylinder stoves out of Utah and the light weight Riley stoves. Trying to decide. Guy at montana canvas said the light weight stoves last just about as long as the 2x heavier cylinder stoves. At least for the causal user(up to a few weeks a year). Im liking idea of 43 lbs vs 88 lbs. any thoughts from those with experience? Thanks!
Colin

43 lbs is packable for a DIY pack trip. 88 pounds is half a pack horse.

YOu won't use it as hard as a 3 month Outfitter tent camp so I think you will get the life out of it. get a good stovepipe damper and practice how you vent it to get the best overnight performance...

I have a light weight sheet metal stove and a cylinder stove, both have their positives. Lightweight stove will heat tent much quicker, but doesn't retain heat well. I'm the second owner of it. I've owned it 15 years now. Put 1 week a year heavy use.
Cylinder stove much heavier, slow to heat tent, but retains heat better. Doesn't smoke as bad do too less convection.
I like both, I cook on both.

43 lbs is packable for a DIY pack trip. 88 pounds is half a pack horse.

YOu won't use it as hard as a 3 month Outfitter tent camp so I think you will get the life out of it. get a good stovepipe damper and practice how you vent it to get the best overnight performance...
yeah. DIY drop camp would potentially be part of my choice. thx!

I have a light weight sheet metal stove and a cylinder stove, both have their positives. Lightweight stove will heat tent much quicker, but doesn't retain heat well. I'm the second owner of it. I've owned it 15 years now. Put 1 week a year heavy use.
Cylinder stove much heavier, slow to heat tent, but retains heat better. Doesn't smoke as bad do too less convection.
I like both, I cook on both.
thx!

I have had good luck over the decades with most tent stoves including collapsible ones. Also no complaints with Montana tents. I am 82 so have not set up camps or used a pack string in many years. Depending on circumstances, I liked having a hot water reservoir that could be attached to the stove. Having handy hot water and a place to slide a pot over where it is cooler is helpful.

I have had good luck over the decades with most tent stoves including collapsible ones. Also no complaints with Montana tents. I am 82 so have not set up camps or used a pack string in many years. Depending on circumstances, I liked having a hot water reservoir that could be attached to the stove. Having handy hot water and a place to slide a pot over where it is cooler is helpful.
hot water reservoir is an absolute must.

I opted for the camp chef cylinder stove with water heater. Yup, it's heavy which is the way I like it. I bring my own wood in. Won't chop wood out there, too many other things to do. I do saw wood for the camp fire though. My wall tent weighs about 120ibs. I haul my camp in with a trailer behind the UTV. This year I am not going to camp very far off the road though. I think the heavier stoves would heat up the tent better since you can get them hotter without warping. I put a magnetic thermometer on mine. Generally I try to get the most bang out of a buck.

I'd go w/ a cylinder stove over the lightweight ones simply for heat retention & longer burning times, but I had to add a gasket to my camp chef to get better burn times. If you're packing in, the lightweight ones make total sense, even if you have to get up more at night to feed them.

My camp chef gets about 6 hours of burn time before being out completely. Get up once at night to stoke it, and you're good until morning.

Hi Everyone!

I am in Colorado where there is a Stage 2 fire ban. So this means we won't be able to take our stove that we normally use.

We have invested in Dewalt propane heater that has a CO2 shut off and ALL of the safety features to make sure we are warm and we keep our public lands safe. But I have some questions on battery life.

Is there anyone who can tell me if they have used it? And which size battery you use?

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 1602452223175.png
    1602452223175.png
    1 MB · Views: 2
So I just ordered my Montana Canvas tent today. went 14x17, floor, fly, outfitter stove package. If I ever do a pack in camp, I will just buy a lighter stove at that point. Otherwise I will rock n roll the heavy duty cylinder stove. Im pretty excited to get the tent/stove and get them broken in. Looking forward to doing turkey for the first time this spring!!

Don't forget to do your "burn in" on the stove OUTSIDE before you go to use it in the tent the first time. ;)

Also, consider a thermoelectric fan.....GREAT for circulating hot air to the far reaches of the tent.

Don't forget to do your "burn in" on the stove OUTSIDE before you go to use it in the tent the first time. ;)

Also, consider a thermoelectric fan.....GREAT for circulating hot air to the far reaches of the tent.
Absolutely. I plan on setting up the tent wetting it down and letting it dry a couple of times on the frame.

Never thought of such... That would seem a much better application for shifting heat! Especially considering the size wall tent @CMDavies0671 purchased. I have a 12x14, and not had an issue with heat. Usually between the tarped roof and the fabricated stove box size - it can turn into a sweat lodge if not dampened down enough...
I fabricated a stove pipe box to capture more heat. It worked... though to the extent it was worth hauling it along? I've not used it in ages. Fun to make, and it did work.

For the price of the thermoelectric fans - I think I'll Amazon one my way for the interest in thermo-electric use!

Inuse a Kwik-Kamp stove in a 14x16 Davis. Had a cylinder stove previously. The Kwik-Kamp is air tight and has much better burn times.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back