Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which one.

Can't suggest ManBun ....hmmmm..........well then I will recommend the easy, flat, old-timey western 270 win with a 24-26" barrel. I already have a Marlin 1895 GS from 2004 if I ever draw a Bison tag.

Assuming that you're talking about 7mm08 or RM you are i assume wanting to keep it to american calibres. In that case 30-06, it's still one of the best calibres around the world for all game. If you included euro cals into it it would still be up there but not no.1

30-06 - I’m actually switching from 7mm Mag to 30-06 for these reasons:
  • Plenty of ammo options for any application
  • Less expensive ammo
  • I personally like the heavier bullet options
  • As awesome as the 300WM is as an alternate to the 7mm Mag, with a 30-06 I can:
  • Maintain sight picture better with a lighter rifle and without a muzzle brake
  • Performance is maximized out of a shorter barrel
  • 22” barrel factory options
  • It’s not a 6.5...
  • Higher magazine capacity
  • If I need to go bigger I need a .338, .375 or larger caliber anyway
  • It’s as ‘Mer‘can as apple pie
  • I’m not shooting at game beyond 400 yds, even out west
  • It would be Goldilocks‘s hunting cartridge
  • It’s what my grandpa used, what my dad used and what my kids want to use

I want to do a poll with opinions. No bashing someone's opinion unless they say 6.5 as an option. Which of these four calibers would you choose and why? Looking at what you feel is the best all-around. .270, 30-06, 7mm or 300 win mag. Say nothing about accubonds, mystery ranch metcalf or leupold. I know there has been similar threads comparing one against the other.

My assumption is this is a true one rifle to rule them all. The 300 is the only one I’d take to Alaska after big moose and brown bear.

Tough choices there to pick from, all 3 are capable. But I'm gonna have to go with the war veteran, the 30-06 just has so much going for it, from bullet choices, availability, moderate recoil, so many game animals have been harvested with this caliber, seriously, the list can go on.

Guess my name says it all.
7mm Rem Mag.
Or 280 Rem, 280 AI, 7mm-08, 7mm-08AI, 7 WSM, 7 RSAUM, 7MM Blaser, 7X57 Mauser...

I'm still scratching my head on a couple of Buckyranger42's points.
"Better sight picture"?
When?
Recoil between 7mm Rem Mag & 06' is practically indistinguishable.
Bullets from 100gr to 195gr.
Much higher BC bullets, & the higher velocity means more energy at given bullet weight.
Cost me within pennies to reload either.

Don't get me wrong, i still shoot & love the 06'. Not bashing it's qualities.

Guess my name says it all.
7mm Rem Mag.
Or 280 Rem, 280 AI, 7mm-08, 7mm-08AI, 7 WSM, 7 RSAUM, 7MM Blaser, 7X57 Mauser...

I'm still scratching my head on a couple of Buckyranger42's points.
"Better sight picture"?
When?
Recoil between 7mm Rem Mag & 06' is practically indistinguishable.
Bullets from 100gr to 195gr.
Much higher BC bullets, & the higher velocity means more energy at given bullet weight.
Cost me within pennies to reload either.

Don't get me wrong, i still shoot & love the 06'. Not bashing it's qualities.
I love my 7mm Mag and maintain sight picture - it’s a laser gun. I mention the 300WM as a great choice but then mentioned the 30-06 will maintain sight picture better (all things equal). It’s obviously dependent on rifle build.
I’m not a reloader nor do I hunt at distances where the ballistic advantages of the 7mm make a difference on game.
Trust me, I’ve made the check list of “why this vs that” countless times as I am very torn personally but need to give the nod to the ‘06 for this discussion.

Given the limited options, I'd have go with the 7RM. I have two (one inherited) and did a solid 10+ years of hunting with it, but neither has seen any action, at all, since I bought my 7/08. Next up in line is my 338 Fed. I've just found that I don't really need to boost up to drop game.

.30-06. Bullet and ammo selection. Proven killer. Tolerable recoil. Dang near every rifle made chambered in it. mtmuley
Ding, ding! winner!

Proud owner of a cheap Savage .06 mainly 180g Federal Premium Nosler partitions. I'm not a reach out and touch the next canyon elk spec type shooter, so at a typical max 300 yards my .06, it's a brown = down bulldozer. :)

Weatherby Vanguard is my next step in .06... Yep, I'm cheap.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back