Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which MT legislator(s) should I contact? Student license problem

I agree PFUNK. Im a full time student at MSUB and wondered the same thing as you, and 70 bucks its almost half my spending/gas money for the month. Im going through the process to get my residency as of now so I can spring bear hunt and turkey hunt, but I still wont be getting resident tuition prices.
As far as "getting in line with the rest of the NR" how about take out 40K in student loans and get in line with the students that pump a ton of money into the local economies year round and not 1 week a year, then ull really have something to bitch about.

...and 70 bucks probably wont fill a wardens truck one time.

Thanks for your support and going all out.

What do you suppose it costs the state to write, and run a bill through the house and senate? Time and effort spent, it all costs.

From birth to death or passing it has to cost a pile of money so save a few NR students $70 each.

What do you suppose it costs the state to write, and run a bill through the house and senate? Time and effort spent, it all costs.

From birth to death or passing it has to cost a pile of money so save a few NR students $70 each.

It's about $6,000 per bill IIRC.

So it is the fault of the nonresident students that the bill was put through in a form that defeats its own purpose from the get go? Because it costs money to fix it, all the nonresident students who actually want to utilize the price break should just keep their mouths shut and deal with it? I don't want to cost the state any more money than the next guy, but why is it the role of the nonresidents to keep their mouths shut and eat the extra cost. If it would have been thought out better from the get go, there wouldn't be an issue. But the issue exists, and the NR students should get grilled as being "ungrateful whiners" for bringing attention to it? I don't understand why its the students fault for saying "Hey, this doesn't make sense. Why tell me I can get a season fishing license for reduced cost then turn around and tell me I gotta buy the full priced license to keep fishing.?"

Do nonresident student license cost the state some money? Probably, but I'd like to know how many of these licenses they actually sell? How much money would they make off of students buying regularly priced big game licenses? I don't know of any of my friends that could afford to drop over $600 to hunt deer or elk or $900 for both. By offering reduced cost licenses to NR students, the state shouldn't be losing much money. And more importantly, it allows people with a passion for the outdoors to keep fueling that passion. If you have a kid who goes to another state for college, wouldn't you want them to have the same opportunity? In my home state, they offer NR student licenses at resident cost and I'm all for it. Does it mean my license may cost $1 more? Maybe, but I think that cost is worth it. When you are a student, you don't have enough money to drop hundreds to hunt. When I graduate, I will have disposable income and don't mind paying a minimally higher license fee to allow students to hunt.

I just do not understand why people would be so opposed to changing the wording of the law so that these students don't pay twice for the same license. I just don't get why that is SO bad.

If it would have been thought out better from the get go, there wouldn't be an issue.

I just do not understand why people would be so opposed to changing the wording of the law so that these students don't pay twice for the same license. I just don't get why that is SO bad.

1.) It's the MT legislature we're dealing with. Well thought out doesn't happen often. ;)

2.) We had over 250 bills last session that dealt with F&G/Conservation issues.

3.) There's not a lot of support for splitting seasons for a small group of people

4.) In the grand scheme of things, this does not rise to the level of attention that would garner much support, but would generate opposition.

Not saying that I'm for or against what you want to do, just laying out the facts as I see it.

Again, if you feel passionately about this, approach the local rod and gun club, and go from there. You'll need their help.

So it is the fault of the nonresident students that the bill was put through in a form that defeats its own purpose from the get go? Because it costs money to fix it, .

Not many of ya saying its needs fixing.

Attachments

• Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
    Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 6809328535_8826e0be1a_z.jpg
    6809328535_8826e0be1a_z.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 84
  • beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg
    beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 75
  • beating-a-dead-horse.jpg
    beating-a-dead-horse.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 72
So it is the fault of the nonresident students that the bill was put through in a form that defeats its own purpose from the get go?

One thing I can tell you. It's the fault of a nonresident student that some of us are fired up enough about this topic to start writing letters of our own now...:cool:

I don't know of any of my friends that could afford to drop over $600 to hunt deer or elk or $900 for both. In my home state, they offer NR student licenses at resident cost and I'm all for it. When you are a student, you don't have enough money to drop hundreds to hunt. When I graduate, I will have disposable income.

I thought its not about the money...remember? Now it seems the whining continues based on money, as you mention it multiple times in your tantrum.

I personally dont give a shit if a NR student cant afford to hunt Montana, tough luck. Go back to your state of Residence and hunt there.

I also dont give a shit what your home state does...that doesnt mean that Montana Residents should be saddled with subsidizing NR students via NR student welfare tags.

Like you just stated, if students cant afford to hunt, maybe they should get a fuggin' job and/or wait until they can afford it. Naaa, its better to expect the residents of Montana to pay your way.

When I was going to college in Montana, I got resident fees (full price)...because I was BORN there and LIVED there for 30 years. I also didnt apply in or have residency in any other state, nor did I whine about same.

I really hope you're ridiculous enough to try to take this one to the legislature...dont be surprised when the hand that you've chosen to bite...takes a chunk out of your ass in return.

One thing I can tell you. It's the fault of a nonresident student that some of us are fired up enough about this topic to start writing letters of our own now...:cool:

Out of curiosity, what is it that has you fired up? Are you in opposition of NR student licenses, or just in opposition of a student license that would actually be unique to the student, and not require them to purchase the regular NR license?

If you wanna sit here and deny the fact that the law doesn't make a whole lot of sense, while in the meantime blaming someone for saying it... fine by me. If you want to write letters to say you want the student license gone... fine. I won't sit here and accuse you of whining... you are entitled an opinion just like everyone else is. I just disagree. I think student licenses are a great thing and I do think students stick a bunch of money into the state and the thought of giving them a break on licenses should be considered. But if you are going to, as a state, decide to give them that price break... why not make a law that actually lets it happen. Not one that sends them straight back into line with every other nonresident. You instead would rather blame the student for questioning something that doesn't make sense. Your choice.

Not one that sends them straight back into line with every other nonresident. You instead would rather blame the student for questioning something that doesn't make sense.

dawson-crying.jpg

PFunk- It's obvious that the tags were set up for deer and elk (a byproduct being the fishing license). What normally makes anyone angry is the fact a group of individuals get something really cheap and then complain they don't get more for cheaper.

There are a lot of things that just don't make sense...like why someone who gets a stupendous deal wants to complain they don't get more...now that doesn't make sense.

I thought its not about the money...remember? Now it seems the whining continues based on money, as you mention it multiple times in your tantrum.

I personally dont give a shit if a NR student cant afford to hunt Montana, tough luck. Go back to your state of Residence and hunt there.

I also dont give a shit what your home state does...that doesnt mean that Montana Residents should be saddled with subsidizing NR students via NR student welfare tags.

Like you just stated, if students cant afford to hunt, maybe they should get a fuggin' job and/or wait until they can afford it. Naaa, its better to expect the residents of Montana to pay your way.

When I was going to college in Montana, I got resident fees (full price)...because I was BORN there and LIVED there for 30 years. I also didnt apply in or have residency in any other state, nor did I whine about same.

I really hope you're ridiculous enough to try to take this one to the legislature...dont be surprised when the hand that you've chosen to bite...takes a chunk out of your ass in return.

I really don't know what part of this you don't get. I said this wasn't about saving ME any money... I gained residency and this has no bearing on me when I purchase licenses. If Montana didn't want to offer student licenses... that's their decision and that's fine! Like I said, I think they are a good thing, but as a state you decide what you do and do not want to incorporate. All I am saying is that if you choose to offer student licenses, it doesn't make sense to make the kid turn around, get right back in line, and say now I would like to purchase the nonresident fishing license as well.

Nor do I have residency in any other state. When I go to my home state, I pay nonresident fees. So congrats to you for doing the same? I never said Montana should copy my home state. I simply said my home state does it too and I support it. I gained residency here for hunting but I still pay nonresident tuition. This law has no bearing on me, but I became aware of how little sense it makes through someone I know. I found it to be very silly that a law would be set aside to help students with the cost of their licenses, but the way that it is set up it really can't do that.

I don't think you have anything to contribute to the intent of the thread. Some people have given useful advice. If you disagree, you can simply state it. I definitely know your position on this by now. I get the point that some people appear to be opposed strongly to the student license... fine. I get it, and the wise remarks aren't needed to make the point more clear.

If you are a nonresident college student currently carrying 12 credits or more at a Montana college or university, you can now fish and hunt deer, elk and upland game birds for $70 plus a $10 hunting access enhancement fee. For a big game license, that's a savings of $827!

Licenses go on sale September 12, 2011 at all FWP region offices and the Helena FWP headquarters.

Students must provide at the time of purchase:
•Current enrollment verification form
•Valid student identification
•Proof of completing hunter education in Montana or elsewhere.

For more information call (406) 444-2950.

What were you complaining about again???? Maybe because they give reduced deer and elk tags students should get all tags at reduced cost? That way you can cheaply hunt bear lion wolf trap etc at a price that's affordable to all. To not do so would be unfair and may cause confusion.

PFunk- It's obvious that the tags were set up for deer and elk (a byproduct being the fishing license). What normally makes anyone angry is the fact a group of individuals get something really cheap and then complain they don't get more for cheaper.

There are a lot of things that just don't make sense...like why someone who gets a stupendous deal wants to complain they don't get more...now that doesn't make sense.

Well I guess the fishing license shouldn't have been lumped in... if it doesn't get you anything. Take it out of the package then for all I care, cuz you'll end up paying the same price as a regular nonresident if you want to fish anyhow. I am not complaining about the price. It's obviously cutting the student a deal on the big game licenses. Just don't lump fishing in when it isn't gonna be discounted anyhow. You're obviously all upset that they even offer student licenses... so you take the opportunity to attack someone who says this whole thing doesn't make sense. I get it.... talk about picking a tough crowd. The one NR student who actually commented on the thread agreed it doesn't make much sense. Those affected by it actually know how strange it is... those not affected obviously don't wanna take a second to think about it from another perspective.

What were you complaining about again???? Maybe because they give reduced deer and elk tags students should get all tags at reduced cost? That way you can cheaply hunt bear lion wolf trap etc at a price that's affordable to all. To not do so would be unfair and may cause confusion.

The fact that when you purchase that license on September 12th, and you read the print on it... it will state your fishing license was good 3/1/12-2/28/13... so that fishing license you carry is half expired (6 months old) by the time you buy it. My point is, why not make an ammendment that makes the student fishing license effective 9/12/XX-9/11/XX. Then they don't have to go buy another full price NR fishing license to fish the gap that is not covered by their license. Most people fish during the summer when they have time to do it... especially students. But their fishing license is no good during the summer months.

OK, where to start...

Take it out of the package then for all I care, cuz you'll end up paying the same price as a regular nonresident if you want to fish anyhow.

Now you're getting it ;)

Just don't lump fishing in when it isn't gonna be discounted anyhow.

Ah, but it is discounted...for fishing within the dates provided...fish outside of those dates buy full price license. Pretty simple. If they took it out you would be taking away from others in a different situation than you...those who would love to have a "free" temporary fishing license during the dates it is good for...

Those affected by it actually know how strange it is... those not affected obviously don't wanna take a second to think about it from another perspective.

You're not listening to anything are you? It impacts all MT sportsmen and women. I believe someone threw out the number of $3 million lost revenue for FWP due to reduced cost licenses...Think of what that money could buy our fish and wildlife?

Finally...Shouldn't you be studying?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back