Which MT legislator(s) should I contact? Student license problem

Pfunk-Think of it this way...housing at a dorm is only during the time you are student enrolled at the University. When school is done...you move out! You no longer are entitled to living in the dorm until the next year. In fact, most people move back to their state of residence. Think of the fishing license in the same way and you may be able to better understand what is going on...once school is done for the year...so is the license! It is meant for students enrolled and currently going to school full time in the state. It's not a year long priveledge...they keep the date to simplify the computer program. There may be some question about summer school but that is an exception and not really pertinent. This discussion really does make you rethink every "nice" thing that is done for the NR or any other special group out there. You can never give enough without someone wanting more.

Pfunk-Think of it this way...housing at a dorm is only during the time you are student enrolled at the University. When school is done...you move out! You no longer are entitled to living in the dorm until the next year. In fact, most people move back to their state of residence. Think of the fishing license in the same way and you may be able to better understand what is going on...once school is done for the year...so is the license! It is meant for students enrolled and currently going to school full time in the state. It's not a year long priveledge...they keep the date to simplify the computer program. There may be some question about summer school but that is an exception and not really pertinent. This discussion really does make you rethink every "nice" thing that is done for the NR or any other special group out there. You can never give enough without someone wanting more.

I go to school year round and many of my friends do as well so that isnt very valid. And the license isnt good for both fall and spring semesters if the person were to only do those 2 semesters

Last edited:

Yep... makes sense Matt. It's just there is the period during spring semester where you are a full time student and not covered by your student license. So really, the license isn't done when the school year is, it's done a few months before. I would rather give the student extra privileges and more opportunities to fish with their license, than to withhold the opportunities. But the decision had to be made one way or the other I guess, and it just bites it was decided on the way it was. The refund I mentioned that is offered to every other nonresident would fit the bill perfectly here too. To each his own.

Pfunk-You own this thread. You own it. You make perfect sense. Go find someone who will carry a bill that simply changes the date so the true intent of the law will be met. Like I've eluded to before that those that are so worked up in opposition to your suggestion are pissed off at a different problem....that being what they perceive as a funding issue. I don't buy the BS that the 3 million "shortage" is from students getting reduced priced fishing tags. I mean really?? What will it cost to change a date? If I had it my way the fishing licence would cost half as much. I'd like to see more student fishing and less students at the bar.
Thanks for coming to Montana to go to school. I hope you enjoy the streams, lakes, the outdoors, the standard of living and everything else Montana has to offer. I hope you decide to set roots here as well. It is a great place to raise a family.

You're 100% right. The shortage isn't from NR students getting a discount. Most of them wouldn't have bought a license if the price was higher and so the missing 3M isn't coming from them.

Instead MT is nice enough to give them a break on BG tags even though they have absolutely no right or reason to get a discount. And MT was nice enough to do this in the face of a 3M budget shortfall.

I'd get rid of the whole deal if it was up to me. NR is a NR...

JonBoy- how long do you stay in the dorms past spring semester? By your way of thinking, you probably want the MSU-Billings to supply you with a dorm room year round also...I'm sure you feel entitled to this also?

PFunk- no refunds on gifts. If you want to pay NR full price, then you can have a refund as a NR...otherwise you fall under the NR student discounted rates...for when you are in school (minus 2 months because the state isn't going to revamp their entire season dates to accomodate reduced priced licenses).

JonBoy- how long do you stay in the dorms past spring semester? By your way of thinking, you probably want the MSU-Billings to supply you with a dorm room year round also...I'm sure you feel entitled to this also?

PFunk- no refunds on gifts. If you want to pay NR full price, then you can have a refund as a NR...otherwise you fall under the NR student discounted rates...for when you are in school (minus 2 months because the state isn't going to revamp their entire season dates to accomodate reduced priced licenses).

I dont live on campus, and I stay in MT year round. Another in-valid point and wrongfully made asumption. I dont really care either way Im becoming a resident regardless. But if you want to keep beating the horse I thought you might want to at least make some valid points. But your entitled to your opinion, or are you?
Geeze the sense of entitlement people feel they deserve these days, you just wouldnt believe it :D

Geeze the sense of entitlement people feel they deserve these days, you just wouldnt believe it :D

Sense of etitlement? You mean like you and your dorm buddy arguing for 10 pages about how you should be ENTITLED to a reduced non-res license for the whole year because you buy a couple pizzas and 6 packs in MT? Good god guys..give it up.

I'm with Belly on this one..get rid of the entire thing. What a couple of cry babies.

Sense of etitlement? You mean like you and your dorm buddy arguing for 10 pages about how you should be ENTITLED to a reduced non-res license for the whole year because you buy a couple pizzas and 6 packs in MT? Good god guys..give it up.

I'm with Belly on this one..get rid of the entire thing. What a couple of cry babies.

Obviously you need to go back to college if your reading comprehension is that poor and you have that hard of a time picking up on sarcasm LOL None of my posts have showed entitlement just mentioned that it sucks (which it does) but I am grateful for the tags regardless. And if you think that college students only contribute to the economy through 6 packs and pizza uve probably never been to college, which would explain your reading comprehension.

Here is a post I made that show I have no sense of entitlement and am grateful. And it also has sarcasm. I thought I should make that clear.

Fact of the matter is we do have a great deal going, im glad for the discounts, and the deal with the fishing license isnt going to change. And yes it does suck (I for one hate it) because the best dates to fish you wont have a fishing license. Some things in life just just suck and thats the way it is. Not sure how you got all of these MT natives panties sucked up there crack as far as you did over such a simple matter :D :hump:

Maybe I didn't mention it yet, but I gained residency and buy resident licenses just like the 95% of you who are strongly opposed to this can of worms I opened up. I differ from you in the fact that I would rather see these students be given more opportunities than to have their opportunities limited. It doesn't bother me one bit if their license were to extend through the entire summer, even if they aren't technically still a student at the time. Its no skin off my back. They went to school for 9 months and now have 3 months with some free time.... let 'em fish. If you feel they aren't entitled to it fine. Just wondering how it affects you or your opportunities and why it bothers you if they are allowed to fish during that time. I just didn't expect that a bunch of sportsmen would get irate at the thought of a NR student being given a little longer window to utilize their fishing license. But I'd say each side has said pretty much everything that can be said, and it began going full circle quite some time ago. Probably best to let it go before poor old dunc has to fire up the google machine to try to find some yet to be discovered pictures of beaten horses.

Last edited:
Your right..my reading comprehension sucks..I should go back to college. I forgot about the ramen noodles along with the pizza and beer. Keep crying..it's funny and entertaining.

PFUNK..it doesn't effect me at all. Never said they weren't entitiled to fish..just buy your damn license and quit whining about it. You keep making it sound like students can't fish during that time frame. Again..buy your damn license and go fish. There is no opportunity being limited or taken away.

0af66bc9.png

I think you should add a piece to the graph...put about a 30% slice titled "whining and bitching about my welfare tags"....

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back