Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Which Leupold Scope for 7mm Rem Mag?

Of the choices there I would go with #2.
Thanks for your vote! I assume you mean this one:
VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL Wind-Plex 30MM 180623

As I'm learning that the VX-5HD 3-15X44 FireDot (172368) is unavailable at the moment, it is the next best option where magnification is a deciding factor. I particularly like its light weight. Its weight is very similar to the VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot 30MM 180627.

Thanks for your vote! I assume you mean this one:

As I'm learning that the VX-5HD 3-15X44 FireDot (172368) is unavailable at the moment, it is the next best option where magnification is a deciding factor. I particularly like its light weight. Its weight is very similar to the VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot 30MM 180627.
Yep.

Now I am considering what to mount on a 7mm Rem Mag. Would another VX3HD CDS FireDot be the right choice, or should I opt for more magnification and maybe even jump up to the VX-5HD with FireDot?

The candidates are:

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL FireDot Twilight Hunter 30MM 180627
VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368

Choices. Choices. What do you think? Any input appreciated.
The Winner is: VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368

Just found this thread. I have the VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS FireDot Duplex. I have it mounted on a CA Ridgeline in 6.5-PRC. This combo works well together. Hopefully, everything goes well for you.
Take care

Just found this thread. I have the VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS FireDot Duplex. I have it mounted on a CA Ridgeline in 6.5-PRC. This combo works well together. Hopefully, everything goes well for you.
Take care
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it. I am looking forward to getting it mounted and then spending time sending rounds down range.

Put my vote down for the zeiss V4, I have two and they have been a great upgrade over the Vortex Vipers for me

Alright, I'm gonna wager this topic hasn't quite been beat to death yet, and I'm still on the fence so please chime in on my predicament.

I have new (to me) Rem 700 in 7mag that was given to me by my FIL, super excited for it but it's a pig. My current hunting rifle - a wood-stocked Browning X-bolt .270 with a Vortex Diamondback is 8.5lb with 9 rounds in the stock sleeve, while this Rem 700 is 9.5lb empty with an older Leupold 2-7x32. I want a bigger objective and a bit more zoom but would also like to trim (or at least not gain) weight.

With my Diamondback 4-12x40, I pretty much keep it at 5 and don't touch it. It felt like plenty of zoom for the 350yd shot on my muley this year, which was a touch back and hit the liver, and still felt like close to enough zoom at 475 for the finishing shot. However, the Diamondback is effectively useless at its top magnification, so maybe that's why I don't use it.

Here are my options, any scope will be in Talley Lightweights:
  • VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER (180627)
    • 5 oz lighter is a bonus, I've never noticed glass quality hindering me hunting (do notice it on small targets), do I need 15x zoom?
  • VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 SIDE FOCUS ILLUM. FIREDOT DUPLEX (172368)
    • 5 oz heavier is kind of a drag. I like the 3x bottom end for hunting tight timber. Do I just go all in and get a McMillan Edge to offset the extra weight? I'm not opposed...
Either option will be purchased through @schmalts . Maybe if I'm lucky only 1 option is in stock and decides for me? Thanks for your input!

Alright, I'm gonna wager this topic hasn't quite been beat to death yet, and I'm still on the fence so please chime in on my predicament.

I have new (to me) Rem 700 in 7mag that was given to me by my FIL, super excited for it but it's a pig. My current hunting rifle - a wood-stocked Browning X-bolt .270 with a Vortex Diamondback is 8.5lb with 9 rounds in the stock sleeve, while this Rem 700 is 9.5lb empty with an older Leupold 2-7x32. I want a bigger objective and a bit more zoom but would also like to trim (or at least not gain) weight.

With my Diamondback 4-12x40, I pretty much keep it at 5 and don't touch it. It felt like plenty of zoom for the 350yd shot on my muley this year, which was a touch back and hit the liver, and still felt like close to enough zoom at 475 for the finishing shot. However, the Diamondback is effectively useless at its top magnification, so maybe that's why I don't use it.

• 5 oz lighter is a bonus, I've never noticed glass quality hindering me hunting (do notice it on small targets), do I need 15x zoom?
    • 5 oz heavier is kind of a drag. I like the 3x bottom end for hunting tight timber. Do I just go all in and get a McMillan Edge to offset the extra weight? I'm not opposed...
Either option will be purchased through @schmalts . Maybe if I'm lucky only 1 option is in stock and decides for me? Thanks for your input!
Sorry. I got them both... wringing of the hands begins

I ended up with one of each (two rifles). I think you've touched upon the considerations that I pondered too. The VX-3HD weighs less and is smaller too. The VX-5HD is heavier but has better glass and range of magnification (an advantage at the range that I think I will value). I bought the VX-5HD for the X-Bolt 7mm Rem Mag, but I haven't mounted it yet.

My decision to get the VX-5HD was easy as my other choice wasn't available at the time (you don't have such luck). I don't regret it. I'm now a two FireDot family.

Decisions. Decisions.

I'll get there... SMH

I wish this VX-3HD came in a FireDot. Of course, I'm assuming it would be lighter and smaller than the VX-5HD which may or may not be the case.

I wish this VX-3HD came in a FireDot. Of course, I'm assuming it would be lighter and smaller than the VX-5HD which may or may not be the case.

Huh? It does. 180627 VX-3HD CDS-ZL Matte Black 3.5-10x40mm 30mm Tube Illuminated FireDot Twilight Hunter Reticle. And yes I have them in stock

Huh? It does. 180627 VX-3HD CDS-ZL Matte Black 3.5-10x40mm 30mm Tube Illuminated FireDot Twilight Hunter Reticle. And yes I have them in stock
Sorry. I seem to have introduced some confusion. The scope that you reference in 3.5-10 is one I own. I bought it from you too. My comments above were concerning a 4.5-14x40 and wishing it was available with FireDot.

This is the VX-3HD that I was aware of... non-FireDot

I'm not sure that I helped myself with this! '-)

Last edited:
The Winner is: VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368
That's amazing. All these years and now we have learned to tell scope's by long partially meaningless number's and letters. I have nothing bad to say about Leupold, I suspect they are a great company with a great product. But American shooters seem to be more capable of identifying scopes value through a series of letter's and numbers better than knowing how to use the scope!

I knew he meant the 4.5x14 3HD, and agree. That model with a firedot would be my first choice. Thinking it’d out sell the 5HD 3x5 variant.

Marketing Mensas…

Sorry. I seem to have introduced some confusion. The scope that you reference in 3.5-10 is one I own. I bought it from you too. My comments above were concerning a 4.5-14x40 and wishing it was available with FireDot.

This is the VX-3HD that I was aware of... non-FireDot

I'm not sure that I helped myself with this! '-)
Gotcha, I thought you didn't know the VX3HD came in firedot. Yeah, they probably don't want to make something too close to the VX5HD version.

Last edited:
I listened through Randy's most recent "Elk Talk Live, EP 117" (just released on YouTube) and, in response to multiple questions about which particular scope he uses, he indicated the VX-5 in 3x15 is on a lot of his guns and that he also uses the VX-3. It peaked my interest. Is Randy a "FireDot guy" or does he use some other version?

It doesn't change anything for me, but I'm curious.

VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 FireDot Duplex 172368

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back