MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which Is The Best Tasting Critter?

I'm not as experienced as most of you, but elk and speed goat sit at the top for me, with muley close by. The rock lobster tacos that were fed to us on a mission in Baja still stands out as the best meal I've ever eaten, now a full 20 years later. We'd been eating mostly packaged food for a week and working 16 hour days, and the people of the church brought us to a parishioner's home where they made tacos from fresh caught lobster with hand made corn tortillas, simply amazing.

Big game is a tie between antelope and elk.
Small game cotton tail rabbit followed by fox squirrel.

My objective and definitive rankings for the top Montana/Wyoming critters I have taken in each category:

Big Game
1. Elk
2. Antelope (it barely lost)
3. Whitetail
4. Mule deer

Birds
1. Chukar
2. Pheasant
3. Ruffed grouse
4. Blue grouse

Fish
1. Walleye
2. Crappie
3. Burbot
4. Perch

Yes, but we don’t have Portland.
Hopefully you can keep it that way! We get some of the nonsense out here but they are limited by their cars batteries I think because it hasn’t got too bad yet. They don’t want to eat anything I do either so it’s mostly just unsightly to see them.

Before Fish & Game ruined things introducing mices shrimp, even the small lakers from Flathead tasted like greasy cat food. After the shrimp the kokanee were decimated, world famous bull trout fishery disappeared, and invasive species lake trout went nuts. Sure they taste good now but there's so many they fill the forks of Flathead Rivers and tributaries all the way to Canada. Catch all those fish killing fightless snakes you want. Is there even a limit on that trash now?

Where do you live?

Of the game I have tried so far, moose is probably my overall favorite; however, bighorn tenderloin, with a dash of Montreal steak seasoning, grilled over coals in a Seek Outside stove after the pack back to camp sure was good. Of course, my memory of that meal might have been colored slightly by the occasion.

18FC8CEE-C2D6-42EC-BC96-11BAEABA10B5.jpeg

Also should add dove to my list, they might be small but they are one of my favorite birds to eat. It's also tough to beat fresh northern pike in the winter, my brother and I do some spearing a couple times a winter, once you get the hang of removing Y bones it's pretty easy.

Musk Ok
Axis Deer
Stone Sheep

Alaskan Halibut/Rockfish filleted and fried minutes out for the ocean.

Antelope aren’t any trickier to take care of than elk, deer, or any other ungulate.
You sure?

You sure?

Judging by that thread it takes some serious voodoo to get edible meat from an antelope...

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I don't get them too often but damn I love me some partridge.

And while I am pretty well obsessed with walleyes in the summer, I honestly don't think they taste that great. They just don't have any flavor and are so mushy. A good ocean fish is dramatically better.

A lot of game would taste better if everyone treated all of their game like they think have to with pronghorn.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back