Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which Is The Best Tasting Critter?

From the ground antelope for sure. I’ve killed a ton of them and never taken special care of them. Never had a bad one. Elk is a close second. From the air I’d have to go with dove, and from the water perch followed closely by walleye

Fresh beer battered halibut.
Moose
Raghorn bull elk. I like a raghorn better than a cow, to me it has better flavor.

Last edited:
I am convinced that Montana is short changed in it's lack of access to those salt water dishes.
That’s one of the only reasons we don’t live in Idaho or Montana. Right now in the freezer (besides deer, elk and pronghorn) we have butter clams, chinook, tuna, ling cod, rockfish, chanterelles and cauliflower mushrooms. Just don’t like to be too far from the ocean, it brings a lot of variety to the dinner table.

Once, after a long run up the BC coast on the way to Alaska, we rafted up the boats and my brother threw a shrimp pot in, and it came up heavy. Shrimp, cooked in sea water- best meal I’ve ever eaten.

Canadian goose in a red wine sauce is pretty tasty.

The Swedes have a saying that translates to: “hunger is the greatest spice”

I like everything I have had so far but I am a big fan of rabbit. My family thinks I’m weird and refuse to try it for the most part. One day I will get them to try it and I’d not, more for me.

Elk is good but I have not taken one myself. Step dad shot a cow elk in Nebraska and that was tasty.

Once, after a long run up the BC coast on the way to Alaska, we rafted up the boats and my brother threw a shrimp pot in, and it came up heavy. Shrimp, cooked in sea water- best meal I’ve ever eaten.

Canadian goose in a red wine sauce is pretty tasty.

The Swedes have a saying that translates to: “hunger is the greatest spice”
+1. I’ve never had a shrimp meal I didn’t like!👍🏻 Same with fresh tuna

What’s the one thing all y’all have never had as yet but are Jones’n to try?? Mine would be sand hill crane- anything that’s called a flying prime rib has got my interest

Wow, we have some Huntalkers that have had a heck of a lot more wild game than me. I’ve only had elk, deer, and bear. I have a really good idea. One of you much more successful hunters could send me a spread of wild game, and then I can better contribute to this conversation? I’m just trying to be helpful, that’s all 😁

That’s one of the only reasons we don’t live in Idaho or Montana. Right now in the freezer (besides deer, elk and pronghorn) we have butter clams, chinook, tuna, ling cod, rockfish, chanterelles and cauliflower mushrooms. Just don’t like to be too far from the ocean, it brings a lot of variety to the dinner table.

Yes, but we don’t have Portland.

Years ago, a friend and I split a hindquarter of bison when Montana FWP culled the YNP bison and auctioned the meat. It was every bit the equal of the best beef you could buy.

I've taken two moose over the years and to my taste they are better than elk.

Elk is better than deer.

I can't pick one over the other between mule deer and whitetail.

I've had good and not so good antelope. One of the worst was one I got into a cooler in less than hour of killing it after a long sneak.

Huns are my favorite game bird to eat. The others are fine,,, not a fan of sage grouse.

Walleyes are great eating.

If I had access to endless supplies of shrimp or crab,,,, I would need larger pants.

Wow, we have some Huntalkers that have had a heck of a lot more wild game than me. I’ve only had elk, deer, and bear. I have a really good idea. One of you much more successful hunters could send me a spread of wild game, and then I can better contribute to this conversation? I’m just trying to be helpful, that’s all 😁
Hey! I thought of it first! :ROFLMAO:

Only the small lake trout. The big ones in Flathead Lake are fishy tasting grease barrels.
I guess the ones I eat are under 10 pounds, they’ve all been very delicious! Beautiful red meat, no grease at all. I’ve heard stories of greasy lake trout from other lakes, but every one I’ve had form Flathead has been excellent table fair......guess I’ll just eat the small ones.

Some shockers on this thread. Never thought snow goose and flathead lake trout would make the list. I’m all ears on the flathead lake trout recipes though

I guess the ones I eat are under 10 pounds, they’ve all been very delicious! Beautiful red meat, no grease at all. I’ve heard stories of greasy lake trout from other lakes, but every one I’ve had form Flathead has been excellent table fair......guess I’ll just eat the small ones.
Before Fish & Game ruined things introducing mices shrimp, even the small lakers from Flathead tasted like greasy cat food. After the shrimp the kokanee were decimated, world famous bull trout fishery disappeared, and invasive species lake trout went nuts. Sure they taste good now but there's so many they fill the forks of Flathead Rivers and tributaries all the way to Canada. Catch all those fish killing fightless snakes you want. Is there even a limit on that trash now?

Years ago, a friend and I split a hindquarter of bison when Montana FWP culled the YNP bison and auctioned the meat. It was every bit the equal of the best beef you could buy.

I've taken two moose over the years and to my taste they are better than elk.

Elk is better than deer.

I can't pick one over the other between mule deer and whitetail.

I've had good and not so good antelope. One of the worst was one I got into a cooler in less than hour of killing it after a long sneak.

Huns are my favorite game bird to eat. The others are fine,,, not a fan of sage grouse.

Walleyes are great eating.

If I had access to endless supplies of shrimp or crab,,,, I would need larger pants.
Back in the old days the Bison Range at Moise auctioned off meat. One year Dad picked up a half. Butcher said never again. Bison have very hard bones that ruined his saw blades. I remember the fat piled up on my palate so thick I needed a spatula to scrape it off. Definitely not like beef!

I agree with your assessment of everything else. Huns are sweet meat for sure.

Dall -Especially on a HI beach!
Muskox
Moose
Elk
Bou strap in the Brooks on a grill
Lope

Need to eat some wild Buff to be able to stir up the list a bit

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member