Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Which Is The Best Tasting Critter?

You sure?

They are about the smallest big game animal in North America. Their body temperature is no different than a mule deer or most other ungulates in the lower 48. They will also cool faster than most of the other game animals due to their smaller body size in comparison.

Cooling and cleaning are the 2 most important aspects of game care and how it is more critical with a smaller animal is all myth. Keep it clean and cool is the same way to treat any dead game animal, an antelope is no more susceptible to souring than any other under those same circumstances.

I see many references to Ruffed Grouse, but wonder if you have been fortunate enough to sample Blue Grouse as well. They can’t be beat...

0202404A-2788-4AA8-90DF-90E85B7E2223.jpegED3AE99D-828E-4D5D-A8DC-76C7C35E8186.jpeg

It's been 20 plus years but a Grainfield Whitetail sticks in my memory as one of the best pieces of wild game on land I've had.

From the ocean Dungeness Crab and bbqed Oysters w/garlic abd butter are a winter staple. Abalone if prepared right. or Calamari steak prepared in the same fashion as Abalone is tender without the pounding.

Among the game birds, Grouse is king. Wrapped in foil and cooked on coals in elk camp.

It’s a great video, but I still think cooking all the meats together confounded the variables in that test.

I believe that video is so close to the real perception of game meat and yet people will continue to have their preference due to a mental state of mind over actual taste. Most people will prefer elk and I would say elk is a great source, but many still couldn’t tell elk from mule deer.

When I still had my sons living at home, we would get many mule deer each fall. There was always someone that wanted game meat, but they preferred elk. We then cut and wrapped all the mule deer and marked them elk and gave it away. We got lots of compliments on the elk.

My preference for elk tenderloins is due to the size of the tenderloin and how well you can cook it. Beef can't taste any better...

117_2649.jpg

113_1831.jpg

Maybe it's because I don't get them too often but damn I love me some partridge.

And while I am pretty well obsessed with walleyes in the summer, I honestly don't think they taste that great. They just don't have any flavor and are so mushy. A good ocean fish is dramatically better.
Sockeye salmon is at the top of my fish list. Helluva fighter too. Walleye not so much. Ocean cod can be just as flavorless and mushy as walleye. Judging by their similar appearance I would say the two types of fish must be closely related.

I see many references to Ruffed Grouse, but wonder if you have been fortunate enough to sample Blue Grouse as well. They can’t be beat...

View attachment 166144View attachment 166145
Blue grouse are much larger than ruff but I think they taste about the same ... very good! The big difference seems to be the meat of blues is less likely to get dried out during cooking.

I have heard one species of ptarmigan are excellent eating and another is not very good. Waiting for the Alaska guys to weigh in.

Cooking either Blue or Ruffed grouse needs to be done with low heat, around 300-325, simmering in lots of butter, fresh grated Parmesan cheese and copious amounts of fresh chopped (not out of a jar) garlic. If you just happened to shoot a rabbit, you can throw it on the griddle with it. This is in a hunting camp where 5 star meals will occasionally show up...

scan0005-6.jpg

112_1687.jpg

1) Bison
2) Antelope
3) Walleye
4) Northern (from through the ice)
5) Whitetail

As someone mentioned, the recipe and cook has much to do with likeability of each.

Since I posted the contrarian video above, I'll follow with my thoughts. I think all wild game is meant to be enjoyed equally. Assuming that cooking skill/style/recipe is not a factor:

1. Field care of the meat trumps all.
2. Individual variation in animals perhaps fits here.
3. Circumstances of the meal (Food tastes better in hunting camp.)
4. Memories and experiences of the hunt
5. People with whom you share the meal
6. Species of game animal affects the taste. (Might be a little high with this one. ;) )

For the record, I make no claim that I can tell the difference between species. Neither can my family, except that beef tastes funny.

QQ

I believe that video is so close to the real perception of game meat and yet people will continue to have their preference due to a mental state of mind over actual taste. Most people will prefer elk and I would say elk is a great source, but many still couldn’t tell elk from mule deer.

When I still had my sons living at home, we would get many mule deer each fall. There was always someone that wanted game meat, but they preferred elk. We then cut and wrapped all the mule deer and marked them elk and gave it away. We got lots of compliments on the elk.

100% agree. I think perception is a HUGE part of it, for sure when it comes to flavor. Lots of people claim to not like this or that but if you serve it to them and tell them it is something else they don't even notice.

I do think toughness can be a reality on some game meat, but you can usually alter your cooking methods to get just about anything tender, especially with a sous vide.

I think the perception on young vs. old animals being more tender or less tender is a misnomer as well. Some of the most tender meat I've eaten have come off of older male animals.

To answer the original post, I think my favorite game meat is pretty much whatever I'm going to eat for my next meal. I like it all.

I just got a bear this season. Haven't tried the roast or tenderloin yet, but have eaten the sausage and it is really good. I grew up hearing that bear was horrible, but so far I disagree. I love mule deer and elk.

I believe, (not really rocket science I know but....) the way the animal dies (fast or slow) and is treated after death is really the deciding factor in whether they will have certain good or bad qualities as far as taste and texture. Also what they eat of course. I cook all my steaks the same way (cast iron skillet with butter, salt, and pepper) and their is very little difference between mule deer and elk.

I have not tried most of the big game out there.

Blue grouse is still my favorite bird

Being from the WI the one western game animal that I hear the most gruff about is Antelope. Initially I would offer to "cook some antelope" for a grill out and you could see most peoples noses curl. The old "I tried it once and it was horrible". My guess is that the meat they consumed had been shot at 8am on a 70 degree day in September and rode around in the back of a truck in the sun for hours before being processed, cooled, etc. Once I can convince someone to try it for a second time there are usually no leftovers. For our antelope hunts we take 10g of water and 40lbs of ice with us into the field every day, wash them out and throw a 20lb bag of ice in the chest cavity until we can get the animals hung up and processed. I believe the care of the animal after harvest is probably more important than any other factor in the process.

Lots of meat on this thread that I want to try, but of those I have had the following are my choices:

Land
Bison (really tough to beat bison tenderloin - see pic below)
Moose
Elk
Antelope
Deer
Mt. goat (tried several things and it just wasn't good)

Air
Pheasant (put the breasts in buttermilk, coat with egg wash and flour, and fry. Tastes just like chick-fil-a nuggets)
Turkey
Duck

Sea
Crab/shrimp/lobster (some butter and lemons - impossible to beat)
Mahi Mahi
Halibut
Salmon
Marlin
Trout

C98E338A-245B-426E-8ABE-0FFE5231A470.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover