Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which handgun as a backup?

For your stated purposes, a .22 magnum revolver would be ideal. Or even a Colt woodsman pistol if you want to go retro, but still stay in the 29th century. ;)

If you are more concerned about 2 legged critters instead of snakes, rabbits & song dogs, a 357 Smith & Wesson 66 would be the ticket. 4 inch bbl, lightweight frame & can handle 157 grain defense loads quite nicely. Lots of police trusted the K frame Smith, you can too.

And so it was back in the day when those guns were common. Nothing has changed. Meanwhile, his rifle or shotgun (assuming he isn't archery hunting) will certainly be a better option anyway.

I was thinking if in the middle of the night something is at my tent then a handgun might be easier to maneuver than my rifle. Grizzly and black bear are active in the area. Bear spray from inside a tent seems a bit silly. Bear fence is about 7 pounds and I have 12 miles to pack in with a backpack so likely not taking a fence. Will be at 8000 feet elevation through the basin during hike and I am a flatlander so will be sucking air even if can get the pack down to 80 pounds. Temps will average 0F at night and 25F for highs though can be colder. Snow likely. And winds. Hoping hibernation thins out the bears by mid-October. The handgun may get cut as well due to weight. I am sorting gear this weekend and will see what the weight looks like before food and jet boil/fuel. I packed in for an archery elk hunt in mild September during elk rut and I covered 10 miles with a 105# pack plus had water stuffed in pant pockets and was a killer trek. That death march was 10 years ago and am now 59 so 105# is not in the cards.

A DA revolver in .357 Magnum. Lots of bullet options, really great for reloading. Can go from bunny fart to wrath of god in power levels.

A 2 inch barrel would be easier to carry, but a 4 inch would be better in the field and hunting.

A S&W Model 60 with a 2 inch barrel will conceal well and carry in a pocket. A 3 inch will work if carrying IWB.

A Ruger SP101 is a little long for some pockets even with the shortest barrel. This can be had with a 4 inch barrel though.

The above options are really lightweight as they are 5 shots. If you have no concern about weight there are the bigger revolvers GP100, Redhawk, L and N frames available that may shoot up to 8 rounds.

If you want an autoloader, I'd probably go with a Glock 19 or 26 in 9mm. Round for round, you'll have more options with the .357 mag, but you'll have way more shots with the autoloader..... more rounds can be a good thing.

Another vote for the small .357 revolver. My Smith 3" model 60 goes with me any time I step in the woods. Just the right size and weight to never consider not taking it. (No Griz here)

I'd throw a vote in for a Ruger LCRx with the 3" barrel in 38 Special or 357. If they ever come out with that model in 327 Federal, i'll be first in line. I feel it would be ideal for what you are talking about. Just not a pretty yo look at gun.

i just bought a smith and wesson governor. can load it up with 410 loads for snakes and such and u can reload the 45 long colts that it will carry. very versatile gun.

3” K frame with round butt. That about the most compact, easy to carry, easy to shoot 357 I’ve owned. Model 65s are pretty easy to find.

For where you are and purposes mentioned, I think a 22Mag revolver would be a good choice. If more for personal protection against the 2 legged kind, I carry an M&P Shield 9mm in chest holster, under my bino harness. Easily accessible and hardly know its there.

Any defense gun that includes snake shot as a requirement would be a revolver for me. Lots of quality double action short-4" barrelled revolvers out there so just go shopping and find one thats light enough and fits your hand. Everyone has different requirements and my daily carry bear guns are way more than you will ever need there.

I just purchased my first pistol for hunting and hiking in bear country. I carry bear spray, but wanted to carry a handgun, as well. If your animal of concern is a grizzly … I carry a .45 1911 Colt - Custom Classic w/ an 20# spring (replaced factory spring - 16#), so I could shoot both standard and +P ammo while in bear country. It shoots very well, I couldn't be more pleased. Not bad home defense, either.

i have a 41 rem mag i carry, but just get a gun that you are comfortable carrying and comfortable shooting, if i were in your shoes, id probably reach for something like a 9mm or 45.

i love my gun, its just extremely heavy. my pistol weighs almost as much as my rifle. unless i am in grizzly country, ill typically go without it or ill keep it in my pack until im in a situation that i would need it.

Bear spray!! You can't hit anything w/ a pistol, especially under high stress situation
and will prob end up shooting your partner, even though you can't hit anything, er, um,
something like that :cool:

I have to admit, I'm still confused why you need a backup handgun for coyotes and snakes. I'd just shoot the coyote with my rifle if I really felt the need and leave the snakes alone.
Last year a bowhunter was attacked in one of the units I hunt by a rabid coyote. He was able to swing the bow and fend it off long enough to get an arrow in it, but a handgun would have been much more effective. When on rifle hunts with friends (I'm not the tag holder) or when scouting I'm not usually carrying my rifle, so I thought a little sidearm might be handy. Might also be able to bring home some dinner in the form of a bunny or two.
Anyway that was my line of thinking

I have hiked and hunted in SE AZ for many years. I see no need for a handgun if I am carrying a long gun. If I am hiking or scouting and not packing a long gun, I carry my old off duty weapon, a S&W model 60 in 38 sp. I have only used it a few times on wildlife and it has done ok. In addition to self protection, a hunting license and a gun is your permit to be on Arizona State Trust Land.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back