Which handgun as a backup?

mrjashu

Hi All,
I'm considering purchasing my first handgun as a backup to carry when I'm hunting. Mainly looking for personal protection while in the field against coyotes (2 and 4 legged), dispatching snakes, maybe hunting the occasional rabbit that sort of thing. I don't own a handgun and have only shot one a couple of times so this would be a training tool for me to learn on as well. It needs to be relatively inexpensive and easy to shoot. I'm a reloader and I'd be keen to reload for a pistol cartridge.

I know pretty much nothing about handguns so any advice would be very helpful!
Thanks in advance.

I live in bear country So I carry a Springfield XDM in 10 mm.. In people country I’ve recently become fond of my wife’s sig 938 in 9 mm. Fits in a front or back pocket, laser, easy fast and light. When I lived in “coyote/pot grow” country I carried Xd in 40, perfect balance of stopping power and capacity. Any of the mid/full size xd line of pistols are accurate enough to pluck a bunny at 30-40 yards.

Last edited:
I live in bear country So I carry a Springfield XDM in 10 mm.. In people country I’ve recently become fond of my wife’s sig 938 in 9 mm. Fits in a front or back pocket, laser, easy fast and light. When I lived in “coyote/pot grow” country I carried Xd in 40

Have you tried hardcast bullets to use when are in bear country? I have a couple of 9mm and not sure if I want to carry the weight but if do want to have a round that has a chance to slow or stop a charging grizzly.

Have you tried hardcast bullets to use when are in bear country? I have a couple of 9mm and not sure if I want to carry the weight but if do want to have a round that has a chance to slow or stop a charging grizzly.

I didn’t get great accuracy Out of the hard cast so I switched to the Underwood 140 gr extreme penetrator. Same muzzle energy as a 200 gr hard cast but with solid copper that will punch through anything.

If you just want for coyotes and people I would go Sig P365 (9mm) with 12 round mag super light, super easy to carry. If want for possible bear or otherwise want more than 9mm, I much prefer my Sig p220 10mm Auto to my Ruger GP100 .357. The Glock 10mm Auto is an option too, but I prefer the SA/DA Sig over striker fired Glock - just personal preference.

Cuz his life might depend on it. mtmuley

And so it was back in the day when those guns were common. Nothing has changed. Meanwhile, his rifle or shotgun (assuming he isn't archery hunting) will certainly be a better option anyway.

Grizzlies weren't mentioned. He is in Arizona.

But what the heck get the latest and greatest blackplasticwhizbang if you must. mtmuley, have you ever even considered for a moment, something outside the realm of 21st century modern? There is more to firearms than what's on the rack at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Probably a bit much for what your needs currently are, but if you ever plan on spending time in Griz country, having a Glock 20 by your side gives you that added mental comfort and it has enough firepower for just about anything while still being easy to shoot.

When we are in the back country we each carry 9 mm, Canik TP9SF (2) and Glock 17 (1). For other circumstances I carry a Ruger Alaskan (44) short barrel. I'm a fan of only things that work and each of those weapons does work well.

But what the heck get the latest and greatest blackplasticwhizbang if you must. mtmuley, have you ever even considered for a moment, something outside the realm of 21st century modern? There is more to firearms than what's on the rack at Sportsman's Warehouse.
I’m pretty certain Jim Bridger would have packed a stainless and synthetic bolt action and Wyatt Earp would have carried a Glock had they been available at the time... People who died of cholera probably would have loved having a water filter too. I’m all for cool old guns, but a handgun for self defense is not the place for it.

I understand all that Brent. I carry a Ruger .357 DA revolver stuffed with 180 grain hardcast bullets at 1400 fps. Most would say I am under gunned. Old guns are great, but just like new ones they have their place. Sorry. Missed the no grizzly part. mtmuley

All great comments thanks.
Just to clarify, I am in AZ so I'm not worried about bears, just small stuff. I was even thinking just a 22LR might be fine, but in the case of a rabid 'yote it might not have the stopping power I need. I do want something I can learn to shoot easily.
Yes I would be carrying it while bow hunting as well as rifle hunting. It doesn't need to be super tiny, I'm not going to be carrying it my purse or anything ;)

I have to admit I don't like the look of those plastic handguns, they all look the same to me. But I'm definitely going function over form.

All great comments thanks.
Just to clarify, I am in AZ so I'm not worried about bears, just small stuff. I was even thinking just a 22LR might be fine, but in the case of a rabid 'yote it might not have the stopping power I need. I do want something I can learn to shoot easily.
Yes I would be carrying it while bow hunting as well as rifle hunting. It doesn't need to be super tiny, I'm not going to be carrying it my purse or anything ;)

I have to admit I don't like the look of those plastic handguns, they all look the same to me. But I'm definitely going function over form.

That new Ruger 57 could fit your bill...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back