Which handgun as a backup?

Bear spray!! You can't hit anything w/ a pistol, especially under high stress situation
and will prob end up shooting your partner, even though you can't hit anything, er, um,
something like that :cool:

I will be around grizzly in the area north of Yellowstone where can be windy. What is it like to spray a charging bear with spray when a 20mph or stronger wind is in your face? Will I then quickly be hit by the spray picked up in the wind?

I will be around grizzly in the area north of Yellowstone where can be windy. What is it like to spray a charging bear with spray when a 20mph or stronger wind is in your face? Will I then quickly be hit by the spray picked up in the wind?
LOL. Just getting ahead of the experts. Couldn't find the sarcasm emoji. Have a beverage.

I like the Ruger Single Six ( with the 22 magnum chamber) when I call coyotes or out just fooling around. I also carry a Ruger Security Six 4" in 38 Special. It is very accurate with everything from 160 Beartooth to DoubleTap 158 Hard Cast and 158 LSWCHP. I carry the HP in town or if I'm just coyote hunting. I like the 158 HC in the woods. Its very accurate, I could shoot small game or meth heads with either load. I keep a 12ga pump in camp for bears. I stopped carrying a pack when I got out Boot Camp, in Artillery "we rode". ha Good luck to you Pard!

I can't justify the weight for a backup gun. Personal protection when not carrying a rifle thats another story. Glock 20 10mm is the side gun

I carried a 22 in high school and killed a lot of grouse and rabbits. It failed in finishing off a bull. I carry a ruger 45 long colt, hand loads, 200-235 gr jacket, 13.3 gr unique. Comfortable shooting and does the job. I carried it throughout my job in southeast Ak. I found the 44 mag bit too much for me to shoot well and the 357 hurt my ears. Get what you can shoot well.

Save on beer for awhile, or a year 🤣🤣, and buy a Sig p226 9mm. It can be very forgiving!

Guns are like clothes - handguns especially. Each has a purpose so if you have a varied life, you may need a number of differant types and calibers. Plinking and small game - big enough to be effective yet small enough to not be a nuisance. As the use becomes larger or danger gets more immenent be sure you have enough gun.
One day in southeast Alaska, we had a down day and were out on the beach practicing. A normal day was 10 - 12 hours a day in a very high population of brown bears. The cover was just short of needing a machete. A couple of the geos pulled out their 38s and the pilot (a nam cobra and scout ship vet) said " Have you filed the front sight off of those yet? Cause should shoot one of these bears six times with that pop gun he will take it away from you and insert it in a.. and you don't want it to hurt anymore than you have too!"

Buy several so all your uses and circumstances are covered.

If you just want for coyotes and people I would go Sig P365 (9mm) with 12 round mag super light, super easy to carry.
He beat me to it. The sig p365xl is my current piece, very light and comfy, plenty of grip surface. I absolutely love it

I still believe in a 20ga. 870 youth model, pistol grip and 18" barrel.
Carry on your pack or with a short sling across your chest.
Especially if your really worried about bears.
Certainly great for grouse and rabbits.

Without a 44 magnum thunderstick shooting hardcast buffalo bore ammo it is the only possible outcome for OP ;)
Is it bad that I sold my GP100 after shooting my 329 PD for the first time? I save the 305 gr stuff for when I’m feeling extra masochistic, but 240 gr are a lot of fun.

Is it bad that I sold my GP100 after shooting my 329 PD for the first time? I save the 305 gr stuff for when I’m feeling extra masochistic, but 240 gr are a lot of fun.
If a gun is fun then it can't be bad. I was just poking a little fun at the tendency of hunting/shooting forums to push folks to over-gun.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back