PEAX Equipment

Which Caliber for Elk

The meateater video last year is pretty nformative comparing the copper, bonded, and cup n core (berger) bullet in 6.5CM at different distances (500, 300 and 140 yds).

Comes down to your bullet preference. either frag grenade inside, or mushroom and (maybe) exit.

Gee, thanks. I am literally rethinking all of the hunting bullets I have now. Haha. That's a good thing.

Anyone want to buy some cup and core bullets in various calibers never opened?

Last edited:
Well, no Berger Elite Hunters that I can find in 6.5 CR.

Looks like the Shock Hammer would be the best choice for elk. What grain? I have always heard go lighter with copper bullets than you would normally with standard cup and core. 130 gr?
I’d listen to someone else on what bullet weight with the Hammers. Whatever bullet you pick, make sure it will work for your twist. That’s potentially an issue with all copper bullets. Hammer makes their twist recommendations obvious. The same can’t be said for all companies.

I guess I’ve already been proven incorrect on the Berger availability. They’re more available than seconds though. Saw them for $55/100 at OTM Tactical.

I’d listen to someone else on what bullet weight with the Hammers. Whatever bullet you pick, make sure it will work for your twist. That’s potentially an issue with all copper bullets. Hammer makes their twist recommendations obvious. The same can’t be said for all companies.

I guess I’ve already been proven incorrect on the Berger availability. They’re more available than seconds though. Saw them for $55/100 at OTM Tactical.
I will take a look and thank you. I did look at all the bullets and the twist rates. That 124 was spot on.

Only seeing the VLD Hunter and Match bullets. Same I have found with partitions for certain calibers.

Only seeing the VLD Hunter and Match bullets. Same I have found with partitions for certain calibers.
They make the 140 Elite Hunter in 6.5mm. I’ve shot 2 mule deer and one bull elk with them. Shot two mule deer with 6.5mm 140VLDs. The VLD can require some seating depth adjustment to get dialed in. I checked all the under the radar sites I go to when things are hard to find, and couldnt find any 140 elite hunters in stock. Kinda surprised, but they should pop up soon enough.

You may be so pleased with the Hammers that you don’t feel the need to test Bergers. 124gr should recoil a little less than 140gr.

Well, you just have to love being old and forgetful. I shot two loads at the range today. Groups were nothing to write home about, however had some great velocity, ES and SD. Get back home and unload the truck. Got everything...except the sheet that had my numbers on it. I usually take a book, but I printed my spreadsheet. I won't do that again
I can remember a little bit, but I feel like I wasted 3 hours and components. I know the 40.5 grains of H4350 in the 6.5 CR had an ES and SD of 1. Never seen that before. Can't quite remember the velocity, though. I think around 2600. Can't remember much at all on the 270. So I guess I can work on the one 6.5 load for seating depth and rerun the numbers. That load shot a 1.81 MOA at the recommended depth of 2.80.

Get your self a good Bergara Ridge in 300 Win Mag and good Fed Premium 180gr Nosler Accubond

Appreciate everyone's help. I tested my 308 loads today. Several promising and one outstanding.

CVA Cascade 308. 130 grain TTSX. 47 grains Varget. Avg 2964 fps.
308 CVA 130 TTSX Varget 47 grains_Downsize.jpg

Sig Cross 308. 165 grain Accubond. 43.5 grains Varget. Could not get velocity due to chrono not fitting due to rail.
308 SIG 130 165 Accubond Varget 43.5 grains_downsize.jpg

Saving the best for last. CVA Cascade 308. 165 grain Accubond. 43.5 grains Varget. Avg 2664 fps.
308 CVA 165 Grain Accubond Varget 43.5 grains_Downsize.jpg

I have a chance, Lord willing, to do a disabled veteran elk hunt in WY this year. I have some issues with recoil due to disabilities. I have a Ruger No.1 in 270, but I can only shoot reduced recoil loads. I also have a 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor and several 308s. All have muzzle brakes, so I can shoot them pretty well. What do you think about calibers and bullet selection? Right now I am working up loads for the 308 with a 165 grain Accubond. I know Barnes bullets are a go to as well.

I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is on the edge of being too light, but I would really keep any shots to 300 yards. I know there are a lot of 7mm-08 fans. Arsenal below...

308 - CVA Cascade, Christensen Mesa, SIG Cross. The CVA is the most accurate out of those.
7mm-08 - CVA Cascade
6.5 Creedmoor - CVA Cascade
270 Win - Ruger No. 1, HOWA 1500 (Sent back to factory. Could not shoot under 5" groups)

Yes, I like my Cascades. They are tack drivers.
I'm a 5'1 woman who doesn't like recoil, take the 7mm-08 with 150gr loads if you can find them

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back