PEAX Equipment

Which: Burn or Aspen Meadow Dead Fall Hell Hole

Huntin_GI

uys I am working out the final details of 10 days I have to spend in the Elk woods of Colorado.

Dates: 6-16 Sept
Tag: Archery OTC
Style: Backpack with ability to hit car to new areas if required
Solo hunter with Backpacking Amigo who is along for the ride and pack out in the event we're luck.
Region: Colorado High Country

Synopsis: I have managed to recruit a buddy to tag along on the first 5 days of a 10 day hunt window. His arrival was critical to opening up areas far away enough from other hunters to feel like I am not wasting my time. The hunt will be taking place in the Colorado high country areas within +-1000 miles of Kremlling CO.

I have made several scouting trips into the region and each time removed country from the list of possibile hunt areas. Have yet to find elk but have been consitent in finding some sign.

This region has two areas (not been into these exact spots yet but have been within 2-3 miles of the more precise locations) that have rose to the top of the list.

Area Burn: High. 9K-12K+ Elevation. 3K feet 5 miles from the trailhead to access the top of the burn. Prior to burn appears to be dark timber. Prodominatley western facing slopes. Some high mountain meadows surrounding the burn area. Limited to Moderate water availability. Access is gonna be via foot by anyone in the area. Tough big country. Any pack out is exclusivley downhill :)

Area Meadow: Lower Country. 8.5K-10.5K. Area offers low country meadows, surrounded by aspen and deadfall... When I say deadfall, I mean its all deadfall. Miles of it in places... Honestly, my trips into this area really had me considering starting a forest fire. Again, with the dead fall making me want to start a fire, the amount of water in the bottoms of each little area would have made it easy to put out. "hilly" Area with slopes facing all over. Water Galore. Beautiful meadows with Aspen pockets near by. All sourrounded by damn deadfall. Access again is limited to foot and horse as no vehicle access is available. The trail system in the area would offer the ability to separate ourselves from weekend hunters and pack animals out from greater distance Downside is outfitters are known to use the area. In my scouting I found 3 camps from previous years.

Dilema: Not knowing which should be hit first. Im a new elk hunter. Managed to get out for this weekends opener and loved it but the part where I called in 5 seperate hunters over two days really has me aiming to get away from the crowds. Prior to today, our vehicle situation had eliminated the possibility of Area Meadow but a change in vehicles has opened the door. In y'alls expert opinion, which would you hunt first?

Excessive deadfall gets old in a hurry. You can't cover very many acres in a day when constantly climbing over it. Plus it's dangerous, my buddy almost ended up with a wooden enema when he slipped off the top of one, that would have been nasty , (luckily it got his azz cheek instead) and getting him out very difficult. There may be elk there but not worth it in my opinion.

If you do wind up in some of that nasty deadfall, trekking poles can help a bunch. But if it is that thick and large I would try the burn first also.

Sounds a lot like our area. We are smack within that 1000 mile radius :)

As with others, I would for sure start with the burn. They are rarely "secret" anymore so if it's got a bunch of people tracks in it - then resign yourself to the deadfall.

Experientially this weekend - we didn't find elk until we were a couple miles into deadfall nightmare (most of our area is full of deadfall, but they were in the nastiest versions of it). Normally they are 1000' higher this time of year. The holiday weekend traffic certainly contributed, but from what we can tell, they've only rubbed their velvet the last week or so and were hiding out in the jungle. Knowing this area - I expect them to move up the slope and closer to the cow/calf/spike groups very soon now that the holiday and opening weekend traffic has abated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back