Where was this buck hit?

Based on the picture, where do you think this buck was hit?

• 1. Chest (lungs/heart)

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • 2. Guts

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • 3. Leg or other non-vital area

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • 4. Impossible to make a good guess.

Votes: 28 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I should have made it clear that this deer is in my freezer, and I am pretty confident I know where this bullet hit (cannot be 100% because there were two follow-up shots that muddied the water). When I took the pictures I immediately thought that this will be a good stump-the-chump question on this forum - not often that I see bullet tracks, blood tracks, and buck tracks on a perfect snow background. So, I will provide the "correct" answer in a day or so.

this will be a good stump-the-chump question
Well you don't have to get personal. :)
I'm not sure it changes my answer other than move it up a little on the body. Follow-up shots means it wasn't heart. Maybe a lung but the original shot wasn't deadly, at least in the immediate term. Could have nicked the lung? The darker hair makes me think it was high. Surprised with the pass thru though.
This is a kind of fun. Can't want to see the answer.

I should have made it clear that this deer is in my freezer, and I am pretty confident I know where this bullet hit (cannot be 100% because there were two follow-up shots that muddied the water). When I took the pictures I immediately thought that this will be a good stump-the-chump question on this forum - not often that I see bullet tracks, blood tracks, and buck tracks on a perfect snow background. So, I will provide the "correct" answer in a day or so.
22585.gif

That's not a mule deer...

Edit... having said that I now realize the picture is not from the original poster.

Looks like gut to me.

Last edited:
Buck was standing broadside at 250 yards, facing to my right, and at the first shot. I heard what I thought was a hit, but it was immediately followed by the sound of a bullet ricocheting off a rock. The buck made no visible reaction, but started walking to the right. I was pretty confident I hit him despite the ricochet sound, so I shot 3 more times as he walked broadside to me. The blood from just behind the shoulder lines up with the blood spurts in the snow, I think. The gut shot was either the 2nd or 3rd bullet, and the last shot hit him in the right side femur, which took the last bit of fight out of him. When I got to him, I was upset that I gut shot him and ruined some of the rear right quarter because it was obvious (after the fact) that the first shot was fatal. Can I blame it on the copper bullets? Would have been great if the first bullet had expanded more and produced some visible reaction in the buck.20201027_162137.jpg20201027_163834.jpg

Harsh. Sorry to waste your guys' time. I thought this would be a fun learning experience. As per usual, I have no idea.
It was. Don't pay any attention to the Thread Militia. They have too much time on their hands. I have heard copper bullets are pretty effective, so "no reaction" seems odd. Also, I will ask you as the engineer, shouldn't the bullet still effectively transfer its kinetic energy regardless of expansion.

Buck was standing broadside at 250 yards, facing to my right, and at the first shot. I heard what I thought was a hit, but it was immediately followed by the sound of a bullet ricocheting off a rock. The buck made no visible reaction, but started walking to the right. I was pretty confident I hit him despite the ricochet sound, so I shot 3 more times as he walked broadside to me. The blood from just behind the shoulder lines up with the blood spurts in the snow, I think. The gut shot was either the 2nd or 3rd bullet, and the last shot hit him in the right side femur, which took the last bit of fight out of him. When I got to him, I was upset that I gut shot him and ruined some of the rear right quarter because it was obvious (after the fact) that the first shot was fatal. Can I blame it on the copper bullets? Would have been great if the first bullet had expanded more and produced some visible reaction in the buck.View attachment 160467View attachment 160468
What did the chest cavity look like? Full of hemorrhaged heart/lung?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back