Where was this buck hit?

Based on the picture, where do you think this buck was hit?

• 1. Chest (lungs/heart)

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • 2. Guts

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • 3. Leg or other non-vital area

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • 4. Impossible to make a good guess.

Votes: 28 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

COEngineer

I shot a small mule deer buck and when I got to the spot he was standing when I shot, this is what I found.
Bullet track.jpgBloodtrack.jpg

Assuming that you didn't find the deer? Kinda hard to tell but I would think if hit in the leg, you'd see evidence of that in the tracks, like dragging it? I would expect it hit in the chest/vitals there'd be more blood and a body not too far away. Based on where it was standing and the bullet path in the snow, I'd guess low in the brisket or guts.

1. which direction was it facing in that first shot?

2. all the blood is on his left side in that second picture. I'd venture a guess that's the exit side?

3. that bullet path looks like it's mid body, but deflections can make things look funky

I'm gonna go with not enough information, but there's enough blood and snow to say you probably found the buck.

Did you find the deer? If so could you not find the location where you hit him?
If not it looks like you got some pretty decent tracking snow. Did you run out of blood or quit looking or what happened there? There's not enough evidence to fully determine where or what you hit based on the pics.

Looks like he was facing to the right and the bullet impacted slightly back from prime kill zone.

Reactions: JDH
I am guessing because you posted this is you could notnfind the buck.

With as close as the bullet impact is, I am guessing low. If the front legs are to the left in the top picture and it turned right and back to escape, puts the shot right near the back of the ribs and low. Either it just grazed him he will be a long ways away. With no other dark blood or stomach matter, it leads me to believe its just a graze.
If it was the lungs or liver even, the buck would be dead close, and easily found in that snow.

Looks very similar to a brisket shot trail from a elk my buddy hit and lost.

Gotta to do your due diligence, but I would be pessimistic following that trail.

Since you saw the hair on the snow I'm guessing it was mostly brown hair? Given that he's bleeding right away and not clearly dragging a leg in his tracks, I would guess you hit something good. Blood looks too bright red to be liver or guts...?

I voted chest, but don't feel that confident without more info.

1. which direction was it facing in that first shot?

2. all the blood is on his left side in that second picture. I'd venture a guess that's the exit side?

3. that bullet path looks like it's mid body, but deflections can make things look funky

I'm gonna go with not enough information, but there's enough blood and snow to say you probably found the buck.
1. Buck was broadside facing to the right in the first photo.

1. Buck was broadside facing to the right in the first photo.
Distance and bullet weight?
hard to say, but it often takes a few seconds for a hit to take effect so the picture of impact site makes me wonder about that “pass thru” divot in snow. I would guess (with low confidence) you hit him low in brisket.

I assume you didn't observe the reaction to shot?
It can tell you a lot about where you hit the animal before you even get there, you can then combine it with the shot site and evidence you have found.

Back