Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Where to hunt?

Barn

As a old Texan who's never hunted elk and mule deer and is saving for a western hunt, what state should I plan my once in my lifetime's hunt? It will be in 2017/18.

I bowhunt public lands here and would like to do so there. Any ideas appreciated!

Wyoming. Start buying points and by then you should be able to get a general tag or some of the limited entry units. Do some research on which areas you can draw both an elk and deer tag in the same unit. it's somewhat complicated so you might try getting a subscription to a magazine (hunting fool, eastmans, etc..) that combines all the draw information in an easy to understand way.

Colorado, Wyoming or Montana all would be good, But like stated above, start buying preference points now, so you can get both tags in the same unit.

Kevin

From Fort Worth you should be hunting Southern Colorado every year. Life is too short to hunt elk just once.

Can't agree more on buying preference points. I think that is something more first timers should do. It really improves odds, and aids in planning if you can feel more comfortable about where you will be. I like Wyoming but I think Colorado may have better success rates for elk.

Colorado will gladly take your money, but watch OYOA and Fresh Tracks to see where you want to hunt. Colorado has the easiest tags, but not the easiest elk ;)

Idaho, you're going to work to kill an elk but over the counter tags for whatever open zone you want if you want more info send me a PM

Wyoming. And forget about "once in a lifetime". I went on my first elk/mule deer hunt in Montana about 5 years ago. I immediately knew that I had to do it again but I had to find a cheaper option. I found Wyoming. I'm a meat hunter so I get doe or cow tags. I can draw elk and antelope every year (deer is a little tougher) and the non-resident cow elk tags are only about $300. The non-resident doe tags for deer & antelope are about $50. The DFG website has all the data you need to pick an area where you can draw a tag and have a good chance finding game on public land. And the DFG personnel have been very helpful to me with advice on where to hunt.

I just want a mature representative animal. I'd like to have a pair of horns on the wall of the Barnyard Cave.
On buying points, don't you need to know where you are going to buy points for that area?
I'm getting Eatsmans...

There's only one best state for getting a cheap annual license and piles of diverse country to hunt, long seasons, and legit opportunities at HUGE elk on public land, and it's not Wyoming.

There's only one best state for getting a cheap annual license and piles of diverse country to hunt, long seasons, and legit opportunities at HUGE elk on public land, and it's not Wyoming.

How cheap is a NR elk tag in MT?

If the hunting is so good why is demand so low for the tag? It 's been many years since MT even sold all it's elk tags and has basically become an OTC tag where the Wyoming general tag has to be drawn and requires points and or getting the in the special draw.

Wyoming is not even close in comparison of quality or opportunity, especially for an archer on public land. As a non-res you get a deer AND elk for $971, with legit opportunity to hunt 350+ or better every year on public land. Demand is low because people are dumb. Go figure. Them is da facts.

How cheap is a NR elk tag in MT?

If the hunting is so good why is demand so low for the tag? It 's been many years since MT even sold all it's elk tags and has basically become an OTC tag where the Wyoming general tag has to be drawn and requires points and or getting the in the special draw.

I don't have the expertise to place a ruling on this, but speculate (based solely on my own experiences) the reason is that the competition between states for premium spots has increased significantly over the past several years. There's a lot of elk out there, and all of the areas/states mentioned present a great opportunity. But, I'm headed back to MT again. I don't have a huge means for comparison, but I do know that MT has lots of great areas, and (while it might not be the best) is a great option for a general tag. I'll also concur that WY might be a little better, but also a little tougher to access.

Can't draw/afford the tag or hunt you want? My solution - compensate by giving more time to your trip. That way you can put in the extra effort needed to locate elk that have a little more pressure and figure the area out. You'll also be able to travel a little further and enjoy things a little more since you won't be pressed to make it happen in a shorter amount of time. It's tough to get a way for three weeks, but will be well worth it.

Wyoming is not even close in comparison of quality or opportunity, especially for an archer on public land. As a non-res you get a deer AND elk for $971, with legit opportunity to hunt 350+ or better every year on public land. Demand is low because people are dumb. Go figure. Them is da facts.

The facts are that demand is low for Montana general tags. And no it's not because people are dumb. Simple economics, supply/demand. People don't want to hunt in Montana like they used to when tags were cheaper and other states like Wyoming/Colorado/Idaho have benefited from Montana's mistakes. From a NR perspective Montana is not that attractive and big game combo tag sales confirm this. I would guess that Montana has the most returned/refunded elk tags in the country. People don't return elk tags when there are plenty of opportunities for 350 bulls but they do return plenty of elk tags in Montana.

Keep studying Econ, counting your bonus points and how many people return MT elk tags. I'm going to my garage to fondle this years bulls antlers.

With limited elk knowledge, I have to agree. I have never elk hunted. Paid extra for MT N-R tag (0 preference points), hunted with a buddy who has hunted MT. On the second day of our archery public land hunt, I shot what green scored 352 2/8. Lucky? Don't know, but I'll take it.
Yea, I'll pay extra for a quality tag.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back