Caribou Gear

Where to Hunt in Colorado?

KC

One topic which often appears on this forum is "Where to hunt in Colorado?" So I did a short survey of available data to determine which game management units should be the most attractive. References include the Division of Wildlife Harvest statistics, Colorado Outdoors Magazine annual report on preference points draw results, the current Big Game Brochure and a map indicating land ownership type. Here 'tis.

ELK HUNTING DECISION FACTORS

KC
cool.gif

April 27th - I have updated the spread sheet and included success rates from 2001 and data for the Ranching for Wildlife program.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-27-2003 19:11: Message edited by: KC ]</font>

TK:

I tried a couple o different ways and I can't seem to make it "clickable". You have to type in the URL.

KC

P.S. Persistence pays off. Shabam!!! It's now clickable.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-21-2003 14:31: Message edited by: KC ]</font>

I have not hunted elk in Colorado since 1988. But the region north of Steamboat has good public access to a trailhead that takes the energetic hunter deep into primo elk country.

Some guys use horses but I did okay with a single pack mule and size 13 Herman Survivors. I rented the mule through a source I located by calling the local Stockman's Asso.

Good luck to you.
Jack

Nice work, KC! Maybe if you're diligent and continue to do everyone's work for them we can see those units drop back down to the success rates of those that aren't on your list.

Oak

I for one will agree with Deerking........there isn't any good elk hunting in Colorado. Hit Wyoming or New Mexico.

Coot

well I for 1 will still hunt CO I saw 1 elk there once know theres another someplace
biggrin.gif

I agree completely with this data. Unit 2 is THE PLACE to go. Everyone should go there. If you don't draw just hang in there it'll happen someday. Try and try again, that's my motto...
I don't think any other unit is really worth the time...That's another one of my mottos...
string

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back