Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CPW seeks public feedback on potential changes to over-the-counter archery licenses in DAU E-14

Oak

Expert
CPW seeks public feedback on potential changes to over-the-counter archery licenses in DAU E-14

Grand Junction, Colo. - The Grand Mesa elk herd is managed by both the Northwest and Southwest Regions. Currently, unlimited over-the-counter (OTC) either sex elk archery licenses are valid across the Grand Mesa. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is looking for the public's feedback on a possible future recommendation to limit OTC elk archery licenses in the Grand Mesa Elk Data Analysis Unit (DAU) E-14, which includes Game Management Units (GMU) 41, 42, 421, 52, 411 and 521.

How long can they continue to do this piecemeal without going limited statewide? I don't understand how the decision makers cannot see where this is heading. Just rip the band-aid off now.

Interesting quote given our recent discussions about the lead poisoning affliction among some of our herds.

Wildlife managers have intentionally reduced the E-14 elk herd from a high of over 20,000 elk in the early 1990s to a 2021 post-hunt population estimate of approximately 14,000 elk. The current population objective for this herd is 15,000-19,000 elk.

How long can they continue to do this piecemeal without going limited statewide? I don't understand how the decision makers cannot see where this is heading. Just rip the band-aid off now.
Yup. There is no way to avoid it with the pressure from every angle on herds statewide.

submitted. limit the crap out of it i say.

Interesting quote given our recent discussions about the lead poisoning affliction among some of our herds.

Wildlife managers have intentionally reduced the E-14 elk herd from a high of over 20,000 elk in the early 1990s to a 2021 post-hunt population estimate of approximately 14,000 elk. The current population objective for this herd is 15,000-19,000 elk.

that stood out to me too.

having archery hunted that area twice for elk, I can't say I would complain if there was at least one less person hunting that area. Two of the most crowded western hunts I've gone on and its not even close.

Im still shocked when folks say "limit it" without any idea of who is the root cause of "overcrowding'. At the SW region roundtable, the discussion of of limited 521 had no data on WHO is causing the overcrowding. We can't solve the real problem?

Then you get "the herds can't take it" crowd, when we have 309,000 elk which is probably what we have had for an average over decades. The elk herd objective is like 306,000.
I'll get on board with limits when someone can give me a valid reason why RESIDENT bowhunters need to be limited. Our growth really aren't the issue. Limiting more units will cause point creep to go up because folks aren't saving points to spend them for the Grand Mesa elk hunt. Look at 80/81, the ones who got screwed were RESIDENTS.

Hunters are their own worst enemies.

To grasshopper's point, 54% of OTC archery elk licenses in 2021 were sold to NR.

OTC archery elk.jpg

Grand Junction, Colo. - The Grand Mesa elk herd is managed by both the Northwest and Southwest Regions. Currently, unlimited over-the-counter (OTC) either sex elk archery licenses are valid across the Grand Mesa. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is looking for the public's feedback on a possible future recommendation to limit OTC elk archery licenses in the Grand Mesa Elk Data Analysis Unit (DAU) E-14, which includes Game Management Units (GMU) 41, 42, 421, 52, 411 and 521.

How it feels to read about these same issues over and over again. Cmon CPW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back