Caribou Gear

Where to find Eurasian Collared Doves in Colorado?

Interesting, I'll have to look up the regs here again. The USAFA has different rules than on an Army base, so I'm still learning these ones. Luckily, their rules regarding storage of firearms is the same as every other installation (just different forms).

My friend has great success with collared eurasians just outside of Wellington in N Colorado. There is some great public land just east of I-25, east of Wellington that has been productive in the past.
I used to hunt the Game units out there, east of I25 when I lived in Foco. We did ok. The closer you are to fields, the better it will be. There is on HMA that is used to grow corn. Look there.

I used to hunt the Game units out there, east of I25 when I lived in Foco. We did ok. The closer you are to fields, the better it will be. There is on HMA that is used to grow corn. Look there.
Fair enough, sorry for the delay, I don't receive notifications apparently.

I'll definitely look that up, thank you.

So for literal craps and giggles (don't know how the site feels about the "s" word), I printed off 6 collared dove decoy's on post, left them up for a couple of days, and today went out and did a few dove calls after I swore I saw some. Sure as crap, 2 of the collared doves perched about 15 feet and about 15 feet up in a tree away from me while one further down the road was definitely responding. I'm going to print off some more and go up to the national forest (it's about a 30 min drive, but straight line is only like 5 miles or so) and try up there with an air rifle. I scouted that area before, and I'm still skeptical using a shotgun, however it does seem lawful.

Disregard on the last statement, it seems as if hunting ECDs with pellet guns is illegal. I'll do more research before I decide to go out.

Disregard on the last statement, it seems as if hunting ECDs with pellet guns is illegal. I'll do more research before I decide to go out.

You sure? From the regs, bottom of pg 7 concerning invasives:

"Hunters may harvest any number of each of these species and by any method of take approved for big- or small-game hunting."

You sure? From the regs, bottom of pg 7 concerning invasives:

"Hunters may harvest any number of each of these species and by any method of take approved for big- or small-game hunting."
See that's where it gets confusing to me. In an earlier law (seems to be from 2009 or 2010) it states you need to follow the migratory bird laws (shotgun and archery, possible trapping, I can't remember as I am tunneling on airguns). If you look under the "Legal Manner of Taking," it states "small game mammals" can be taken with airguns, but then in the "small game birds (except migratory)" it states only 2 species there. I'm new to Colorado, and I'm new to bird hunting, but here's my take:

They specifically state Eurasian Collared Doves in the "Small Game Birds - Migratory Game Birds" section on page 10, even though it's an invasive species. Why not add in there a one-liner saying "doesn't follow traditional rules"?

In the Small Game Hunting Laws on page 5, since they have a section about ECDs on page 10, why not add "ECDs" to the list of those 2 birds legally huntable with airguns?

See that's where it gets confusing to me. In an earlier law (seems to be from 2009 or 2010) it states you need to follow the migratory bird laws (shotgun and archery, possible trapping, I can't remember as I am tunneling on airguns). If you look under the "Legal Manner of Taking," it states "small game mammals" can be taken with airguns, but then in the "small game birds (except migratory)" it states only 2 species there. I'm new to Colorado, and I'm new to bird hunting, but here's my take:

They specifically state Eurasian Collared Doves in the "Small Game Birds - Migratory Game Birds" section on page 10, even though it's an invasive species. Why not add in there a one-liner saying "doesn't follow traditional rules"?

In the Small Game Hunting Laws on page 5, since they have a section about ECDs on page 10, why not add "ECDs" to the list of those 2 birds legally huntable with airguns?

Why complicate it? Just read the most current regs for 2020 and go hunting...it's pretty clear what's allowed

Eurasian doves can be shot with pellet guns. They are considered an invasive species by the cpw. No license needed (just a hunters safety card) and pretty much any method your heart desires. You can even hunt them at night with a spotlight if you want. Look at the small game brochure on the bottom of page 7 under “hunting invasive birds”

also they don’t add eurasians to the legal hunting method section because they are not considered game birds, hence why they have their own section.

Why complicate it? Just read the most current regs for 2020 and go hunting...it's pretty clear what's allowed
Fair enough, but if I'm going to do something, I generally read everything to ensure I'm in the right. To me, laws and regs are enforced by the perception of what the LEO understood the law/reg to be. I can go more in-depth regarding "gray area" laws, but that'll be way off topic. I think I found the law on this one though last night.

I did see that on page 7, however it doesn't completely specify the legal taking, as I previously mentioned regarding this. Page 5 and page 10 kind of contradict it to an extent by adding the Collared Dove to the Game animal sections when it's an invasive species, and then specifying the airgun use with small game birds (except for migratory and waterfowl) with Grouse and something else. Again, I am new to this kind of hunting, I'm just trying to watch my 6 on this one.

I did see that on page 7, however it doesn't completely specify the legal taking, as I previously mentioned regarding this. Page 5 and page 10 kind of contradict it to an extent by adding the Collared Dove to the Game animal sections when it's an invasive species, and then specifying the airgun use with small game birds (except for migratory and waterfowl) with Grouse and something else. Again, I am new to this kind of hunting, I'm just trying to watch my 6 on this one.
If you really want to cya call your local game warden, he/she would be the one writing the ticket.

Geez dude, by the time you wrap your head around this the rest of us will have gone out with our pellet guns and shot them all...

Again if you go to page 10 underneath eurasians it has a note saying they are invasive and to reference page 7. Page 7 says you can hunt invasive species by any method of take legal for small game or big game (which means air guns are legal). Your way over complicating it. If you don’t trust a stranger on the internet, then look for yourself, if you don’t trust your own eyes and brain then call the cpw office or your local game warden.

Eurasian collared doves in my neck of the woods are usually associated with medium to large evergreen trees. And, they also seem to be ground feeders so putting up a bird feeder designed for so called "dicky birds" may not work to attract them. Just place some ground corn on the ground and if they are around they will show up.

ClearCreek

How are these doves as table fare? I get a couple in the back yard now and then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back