Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Where to find Eurasian Collared Doves in Colorado?

m0sfet

These are considered invasive species. Where can I find them in large quantity? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have seen a lot of collared doves and 85% have been in urban areas. If you want to hunt them, I suggest talking to someone who has a ranch or farm and asking them if you can walk around some of their buildings. Probably unlikely unless you know someone and they trust you're not going to send some pellets through their window or into a flock of chickens.

Near cows, cow feed, telephone lines, gravel roads, barb wire fences, grain silos and sometimes in my back yard, but the kids keep a good watch on that.

My friend has great success with collared eurasians just outside of Wellington in N Colorado. There is some great public land just east of I-25, east of Wellington that has been productive in the past.

Uuups... :eek:

I think I was wrong! Wrong species.
I have held your Eurasian Collared Dove for our common wood pigeon who have a "collar" at the neck too.
But your Eurasian Collared Dove is much smaller and here known as "turkish dove". We have them too. But not in that numbers then wood pigeon.

Sorry for my mistake!

There are several non-native doves with large numbers in NM. Lots around Albacrackie & up & down the Rio Grande & Eastern NM . They are showing here at neighbors bird feeders and I see a few here & there and might blast a couple. Seen Chinese ringneck,Eurasian collared & several others.
Luckily we have good numbers of natives here still.

They are pretty much everywhere along the north Front Range in Colorado. They come in to my bird feeder in the back yard every day. Unlike the other doves the collared ones stay around all winter long.

I'm just going to put this here. I am new to bird hunting to include waterfowl and upland birds, however I am interested in attempting to hunt Eurasian Collared Dove's. The issue I'm having is finding property which they are known to be located at (and then contact the owner for permission) or if they can be found on certain game lands. I know this thread is old, but I'll see if something pops up. I currently live near Northern Colorado Springs and just moved here about a year ago.

Hope you find a spot. They're invasive here in California. It's so bad that Even our liberal anti hunting state has made them year round with no limit. I'm now bringing home about 25% of my doves in eurasians.

Yeah, it's year round here in Colorado as well, but the issue is there's not much information about where to find them except in semi-urban areas or near feed. I live on a military installation, and can't really hunt here on post (even for big game it's guided) so I don't know how they'd feel if I took my pellet rifle to shoot some of these suckers if they are around here (haven't really looked on post because it's not allowed).

Yeah, it's year round here in Colorado as well, but the issue is there's not much information about where to find them except in semi-urban areas or near feed. I live on a military installation, and can't really hunt here on post (even for big game it's guided) so I don't know how they'd feel if I took my pellet rifle to shoot some of these suckers if they are around here (haven't really looked on post because it's not allowed).
You could probably trap them on base. I am in westminster. My neighbor feeds them so we basically have a flock and a herd of squirrels. The dogs keep the squirrels in check but Westminster your not allowed to shoot a pellet gun. I have been considering trapping them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back