Where is the "optics bar" set for you when it comes to rifle scopes?

G

Guest member 25165

At what price point or model would you settle for when it comes to rifle scopes? Nothing below the Leupold VX-III? Only Zeiss? Love the plastic egg shell carton Tascos? What is the minimum standard you would be comfortable with? I am trying to outfit one of my rifles with some new glass, and I just can't pull the trigger on anything over that 400-500 dollar range and I usually wait for deals or clearance items so it's even less than that. Just curious about what standards you set for yourself when it comes to choosing optics.

At what price point or model would you settle for when it comes to rifle scopes? Nothing below the Leupold VX-III? Only Zeiss? Love the plastic egg shell carton Tascos? What is the minimum standard you would be comfortable with? I am trying to outfit one of my rifles with some new glass, and I just can't pull the trigger on anything over that 400-500 dollar range and I usually wait for deals or clearance items so it's even less than that. Just curious about what standards you set for yourself when it comes to choosing optics.

If you need a optics now you might have to pay because hunting season is coming, there always a sale, but the scope still expensive. Wait till February to July people start to unload there gear. Another thing to consider is a Credit card points, most people I know pay gasoline or food with there credit card, I do to. At the end of the year the points add up. last year I was able to get $300 gift card from bass pro.

To answer your question I would go with a leupold, Busnel, Vortex then Weaver.

Leupold. I don't consider them a 'minimum' or 'maximum', just a great scope at a price I'm willing to pay. Personally, I don't see a huge difference between the VX2 and VX3. I do have a Swarovski and there is a noticeable diifference there. Lots on here are Vortex fans but I've not owned one yet.

If it reliably holds zero and tracks repeatably when dialing distance I'm happy.

I won't own a scope that doesn't do that, not sure why anyone would. Price point and make/model are one way to get better odds of achieving that goal. However, price and reliability are not really linear.

Depends on what i am putting it on. My long range rifle is going to have a min of $900 on it (Burris XTR II SCR) but if I could afford better I would. For closer shots a good SFP that is rugged and clear will work fine. I have had several VXIII's but not sure I would get another as I have sent a couple back for repairs. There are really so many options out there now that are affordable and dependable.

I don't set a price point per say. I do want quality glass, so I look at warranty, and clearity of the glass. All of our eyes are different. Just because Joe uses a Vortex viper pst and bill uses a night force, etc they are all seeing something different. I cant justify a 800 dollar scope on a 500 dollar gun. and I cant afford that.

I look in the 3-500 range and try to find the best deal. I also compare them side by side and see what looks cleaner. The last scope I did this for was a Nikon prostaff 5 and a vortex diamondback. The Nikon was more crisp on the edges and did blurr as much when set to max zoom. The Vortex began to haze on the edges and was a few bucks cheaper I think.

All in all, you will know the scope you want when you look through it. If money wasn't an issue, man would I own some serious stuff! lol

If it reliably holds zero and tracks repeatably when dialing distance I'm happy.

I won't own a scope that doesn't do that, not sure why anyone would. Price point and make/model are one way to get better odds of achieving that goal. However, price and reliability are not really linear.
Agree on the need to hold zero. Agree, but to a point. I have no need for dialing distance on my 12ga slug gun. The friction adjustable Leupold 4X has held zero and IMO a very good fit for that one. That said, a scope that tracks repeatedly is much more fun/easier to sight in than one that's not.

I have yet to have insufficient glass on any scope and that includes a couple of blister pack models that still see use.

I tend to play the demo/open box/discontinued model game with well known brands like Burris, Pentax, Minox, Meopta, Zeiss, etc. There are a lot of deals that can be had when companies redesign their models and stores start to closeout the old model. I only own 1 "premium" scope, a Swarovski Z3, and I won the thing in a free raffle. I bought my Leupold VX3 using Cabelas Points otherwise I'd buy my Leupold stuff from Schmalts (Predator Optics).

I have owned a couple of those off name scopes and thought they were good enough but they have since gone to crap and optic quality is one step above window glass especially when compared to a Leupold, Zeiss or Swaro. Personally I stay away from Tasco, Simmons, Barska, BSA, ATN, NcStar, and Konus and anything that comes in the pastic packaging.

I've always heard the "spend the same amount on your scope as you do on the rifle it is going on" rule of thumb, but I tend to follow the "spend at least half as much on your scope as you do on the rifle it is going on" rule of thumb.

A $50 Tasco scope on a Browning A-bolt is sinful.

I have most of my rifles topped with Nikon Monarch glass, at the time I thought it was the best bang for the buck. If I was shopping today I might end up with something else.

Generally speaking I think the best deals in optics are in the $200-$500 range for basic stuff like 3-9x40 and 10x42 binoculars.

I really like Nikon Monarch stuff, Have some Bushnell Elite Stuff, Have a Leupold Ventana spotter that's as good as anything under $500. It stacks up 90% as well against my experience with Swarovski stuff for a fraction of the costs. The one outlier is I have a Nikon Buckmaster Scope that cost me $160 on sale and has better glass than my Bushnell Elite 4200 scope at twice the cost.

I don't think there is much value in sticking to one of the main brands over another at a given price point, but rather evaluating them in person. I preferred vortex setup on rangefinders over Leupold and Leupold setup over Vortex on spotting scopes after playing around in person.

As mentioned above I've gotten demo optics or end of model optics at pretty sizable discounts.

I have an older Leopold vari x 2, and the new VX2 are noticeable better. Contact Schmalts on here and he will take care of you, I just ordered another VX2 from him and he treated me very well. He carries many different brands so I am sure he could answer any questions you may have.

Several things to consider when purchasing a scope. What caliber are you putting it on, how far do you intend to shoot, how do you treat your gear and do you hunt in all weather conditions. Magnum guns, long distance, abusive handling and foul weather will all require higher quality.

With that said I mounted a Leupold V II and a Tasco World Class on thier respective rifles in the mid 80's when I was rather poor. They are still in use today and they have traveled many miles on my saddle and been used in all weather conditions with no problems. Most people look down thier noses at my scopes, but my shots are taken under 200 yards and they are mid recoil rifles. No problems with either one yet.

I spend my optics dollars on quality binos.

Beware..Once you put some high end glass on a rifle, you'll soon have to do it to all your other rifles.

What you thought was "good glass" no longer will appear that way.

While certainly not what i would call high end glass, VX2 stuff is pretty good for the coin spent.

Beware..Once you put some high end glass on a rifle, you'll soon have to do it to all your other rifles.

What you thought was "good glass" no longer will appear that way.

While certainly not what i would call high end glass, VX2 stuff is pretty good for the coin spent.
Yep. mtmuley

I had a Leupold Rifleman on my 700 for many years,and it has always been good.
But saw a deal on a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 w/rapid600 and knew it would be perfect for my -06 and the distances(200-400) I consider needed here in NM,plus the great glass. $500, Night and day difference.
I have a Nikon BDC on my TC Mz. $300 Decent but might upgrade to Leupold on that.

I wait for deals. But really don't need another scope.

For me it matters what the intended use of the scope is. Is it for squirrel hunting (really not needed) here in the Midwest, elk in the Rockies or fun at the range with friends. My Nikon Prostaffs at $200 is fine for many of my local needs. For my trips out west with a little longer range needs I upped to a Zeiss Conquest at ~$600. Doubt that I will ever go beyond that price point. Just don't anticipate needing a $1500 scope for my needs.

Save up and buy top of the line optics.I tried the cheap method in my younger years and always had trouble,in Reno at the sheep show i met a few reps and was a true believer in top of the line optics after watching some of their hunts on video.Dont skimp on the most important part.You cant hit what you cant see.

I ended up getting a Nikon Prostaff 5 with illuminated BDC for under 375. It was a 50 mm model 3.5-14. The scope was 579.99 reg price on sale for 399 with 10% off. They also threw in two butler creek caps because the factory lens covers were missing.

Back