Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Where does all the rifle BS come from?

It’s easy to over complicate stuff. A bullet enters an animal. Bullet expands and penetrates. Bullet creates a permanent wound channel. Tissue displacement creates a temporary wound channel. Rapid blood loss ensues. Animal dies.

A bullet only needs enough velocity to 1) reach the animal 2) penetrate into the animal and 3) achieve proper expansion. If it has enough MV to achieve these three things, anything beyond that isn’t making the bullet kill any “better”.

I wish I could shoot like all you guys. For that matter I wish all the guys I hunt with could shoot like all you guys. Perfect lung/heart shots.

I guess since I cant I'll stick with my oversized, overkill elk gun. Ill take the shoulders on a distant elk and bear because I cant shoot like everyone else.

I wish I could shoot like all you guys. For that matter I wish all the guys I hunt with could shoot like all you guys. Perfect lung/heart shots.

I guess since I cant I'll stick with my oversized, overkill elk gun. Ill take the shoulders on a distant elk and bear because I cant shoot like everyone else.

Better shot than me if you can "take the shoulders on a distant elk and bear"...I'm only good enough to hit the much larger heart/lung area on distant elk and bear. Catch a shoulder every now and then when I get lucky.

First law of thermodynamics...I was told so.

I'm just asking where all that energy and hydrostatic shock goes? IF the theory is that it cant be created or destroyed, has to go "somewhere".

I was under the impression that it takes energy to expand the bullet and thus some is lost there.
I do know for a fact that there is definitely a difference when you hit an animal behind the shoulder AKA lungs with a match grade bullet vs a bonded/mono bullet.
I believe they transfer energy different also. Which results in much more trauma and internal damage to vitals and tissue causing death from match grade bullets than bonded/mono bullets.

I believe they transfer energy different also.

At the risk of seeming to argue semantics, rapidly expanding bullets tend to displace more tissue and bone upon initial expansion. This creates both a larger permanent and temporary wound channel, and provided it has adequate penetration, can possibly lead to more rapid blood loss.

Energy transfer doesn’t kill. Tissue destruction and displacement through areas of vasculature does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can do that...read mtmuleys link.

May want to talk to an EMT, Doctor, or veterinarian about what happens with rapid blood loss, suffocation, and rapid drop in BP and whether or not hydrostatic shock and energy from a bullet cause those conditions.

You mean blood loss and suffocation and rapid drop in BP like this, nice neat .223 caliber hole?

DSC08814_copy_1024x1024.jpg

I suggest you look at a few wound channels.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back