Caribou Gear Tarp

Where do you draw the line on ethical shooting at animals?

Is missing 9 shots at an elk and no rangefinder while ethical, not ethical or deserving a citation?

• Ethical to keep shooting and trying to get a shot to connect

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Not ethical, quit shooting much sooner and reevaluate

Votes: 66 52.4%
  • 9 successive shots trying to ‘get on target’ borders on a crime deserving of a wildlife citation

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • Who cares, none of my business what another hunter does.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • It is all good till I miss three times, then I back out to reassess the issue.

Votes: 18 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I practice a lot, all summer I am at the range tinkering with my rifles. If I have a bull in range I have all the confidence to kill it quickly and efficiently. I would not shoot at a second because if I couldn’t hit the first one I would be checking my rifle.

That said, my first elk hunt is the reason I go to the range a lot. That hunt taught me a lot of humility thru lessons in what not to do. The first bullet hit him but there was more than 9 empty cartridges and 1.5 miles before the bull finally hit the ground.
6.5 cripplemore?

I have had three bulls that I shot more than once. The first two were using sst. Shots were 20 yards in the timber...bulls didn't even react to the first hit but died on the second. The third bull I shot with a boat tail, he flopped over at 300 yds, but got up...I panicked and shot again, probably missed. Tracked him a mile until he went on to private.
Every other bull dropped with one shot.
Can't imagine shooting more than three rounds, and would hedge to do so figuring something was wrong.

Lol, yes but my poor first shot was the main culprit. Fatal but only slowed him down a tad. The rest of the shooting was me completely out of breath trying to catch up to him. It got a little western as some would say.
I can relate. My first bull resulted in what will likely be a future brass mine northwest of Avon Montana some day.

I hit 4 out of 6 on a running whitetail in a cutover one morning with a BAR .270.

But I think the original scenario is a shooter not making hits, but continuing to crank em off.

Buddy gets the shakes real bad. He was sitting on a small field and had shot at a doe at 150 yards. She just stood there. He texted us the story in a group text and said he only had one round left. After about fifteen minutes, I said “give er one more try”. Bang, flop. We had a real good laugh at his expense. We’ll remind him of that for about the next ten years.

I can relate. My first bull resulted in what will likely be a future brass mine northwest of Avon Montana some day.

I killed my first elk right where your brother killed his this year.

I put a stalk on a big herd, found the best rest I could, calmed my breathing, and settled the crosshairs right behind the shoulder. Elk dropped at the shot.

I was on cloud nine, until I walked up to it and saw the bullet hole right below the ear.

'spose it also depends on the terrain. Heavily wooded terrain limits follow up shots. Sparse, small openings within the trees vs spacious, open ground. Many factors play into such a dynamic setting - too broad to consider without one heck of a paint brush.

Welcome to hunting. Most do their best to send the spirit to the sky, others care less and simply like to pew-pew.

I killed my first elk right where your brother killed his this year.

I put a stalk on a big herd, found the best rest I could, calmed my breathing, and settled the crosshairs right behind the shoulder. Elk dropped at the shot.

I was on cloud nine, until I walked up to it and saw the bullet hole right below the ear.
I've got a friend who was well into double digits of elk on the wall before he got over accidentally head shooting every single one...
Apparently no matter where he thought the crosshairs were he just couldn't stop looking at the antlers.

Back