Where do you draw the line on ethical shooting at animals?

Is missing 9 shots at an elk and no rangefinder while ethical, not ethical or deserving a citation?

• Ethical to keep shooting and trying to get a shot to connect

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Not ethical, quit shooting much sooner and reevaluate

Votes: 66 52.4%
  • 9 successive shots trying to ‘get on target’ borders on a crime deserving of a wildlife citation

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • Who cares, none of my business what another hunter does.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • It is all good till I miss three times, then I back out to reassess the issue.

Votes: 18 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Khunter

A recent post had me reeally scratching my head. It was mentioned that 9 failed rifle shots, with no rangefinder, were attempted at a big bull elk and then just 15 minutes later a different bull was shot/killed with one shot. So time spent to verify the first critter was not wounded was 15 minutes or less.

Never even heard of that amount of lead having been flung at a live critter in one encounter so it really stood out for me as an extraordinary situation to ponder. Is there a situation where it is generally OK to try 9 times, how many poorly placed shots are enough before walking away with unspent ammo?

We all goof up shots and I certainly have.

So generally, how many is too many failed shots before packing it in.

Depends on the situation, off hand close 2-3 shots, prone and steady 2 shots…. I’ve been hunting elk for 13 years, killed 11 elk with 1 shot, the 12 elk I did have to shoot twice with my bow. I’ve killed 3 elk with the rifle, all 1 shot kills. My wife has killed 4 elk all 1 shot kills, she has missed 2 elk though. But quit shooting after the 2nd shot. Just my personal experiences. Most all of these encounters are on here as live hunts.
Matt

Never hunted elk, but nevertheless my thoughts are that my rifle only holds 4 rounds, and were I to hit my target I’d want at least one left in the gun in case a follow up is needed. So I say after 3 misses, just stop.

But, again, I don’t know what having a bull in my sights feels like, so I can’t really speak with any authority.

Last edited:
I think if I witnessed this, I would probably walk over to where the original bull was shot at and see if I could find sign, and if I did, I would call the warden for wanton waste. I am assuming this was done at long range given they managed to get off 9 shots, and given there was only a 15 minute gap it is unlikely they even were able to walk over to the spot in 15min.

I think if I witnessed this, I would probably walk over to where the original bull was shot at and see if I could find sign, and if I did, I would call the warden for wanton waste. I am assuming this was done at long range given they managed to get off 9 shots, and given there was only a 15 minute gap it is unlikely they even were able to walk over to the spot in 15min.
Good assessment. I was thinking to myself also, you’d be lucky they’re still standing there after the 1st or 2nd shot. Let alone 9 and then still see another bull 15 minutes later. I’d be willing to say they never even looked for blood. On an off hand shot with a big bull, I’d probably miss the first one knowing how excited I get. Simply, Don’t take off hand shots period if you can help it. If I miss the first one at 300 or less on a steady good feeling shot, I reassess the situation right then. Every time i shot twice, thinking the first missed, i had two holes when I get up to it. What these guys did is beyond excessive, and I’d think if a warden were watching, they’d say these folks didn’t do their do diligence and cite them

I practice a lot, all summer I am at the range tinkering with my rifles. If I have a bull in range I have all the confidence to kill it quickly and efficiently. I would not shoot at a second because if I couldn’t hit the first one I would be checking my rifle.

That said, my first elk hunt is the reason I go to the range a lot. That hunt taught me a lot of humility thru lessons in what not to do. The first bullet hit him but there was more than 9 empty cartridges and 1.5 miles before the bull finally hit the ground.

I've emptied the gun and chased after a turkey more than once.

I've shot at a sq several times. Shooting treed sq often involves threading bullets through limbs and twigs. Can't always make the tiny twigs out. If there's any chance I hit, I'll do my best and sling lead to bring it down. If I miss clean for sure then I won't keep trying to trim trees to make it right.

I've emptied the gun on a wounded duck or goose multiple times. That's not uncommon for anyone I don't think.

I've emptied a shotgun on deer when man driving more times than I like to think about. Buckshot doesn't make good bloodtrails usually. Shoot until they drop.

With a rifle on big game, I don't think I've ever emptied the gun unless I was shooting multiple deer at once. I've made some bad hits and spent hours looking for some. I missed two deer in one weekend with one shot per and did not hunt again until I had addressed the malfunction.

So, typinging candidly, I'll say I'd empty the gun. If I was sure I had missed, I'd check the gun before missing again.

If I thought I connected, I'd search for sign of the hit for over half an hour at the exact spot I thought the elk was. If I saw or found sign of a hit I'd spend hours trying to find it. Depending on sign I might spend half a day.

15 minutes is just greedy nonsense.

I don't believe I've shot more than three rounds at any given animal and that's pretty rare. Typically it's one, occasionally followed by a second.

I believe ethics are subjective to "moral" codes placed by our regulations. My thoughts on ethical distance doesn't exceed 350 yards however for another who I know practices non stop, has his at 450.

9 rounds at the same animal then moving onto another in 15 minutes is beyond my ability to consider reasonable. Poll skewed as are most. Need an, "other". Haha!

Sorry but 9 times is pretty excessive. I would have thrown the towel in well before 9 shots and been pretty mad at myself. I hope he reloads his own ammo cause that was an expensive way to sight in your gun!

I usually pack 4-7 bullets with me. Only time I wish I had more bullets was when I shot 7 coyotes on one stand. I’m not sure more wouldn’t have came in but I wasn’t going to choke any to death.

Colorado 3rd season this year I watched a guy dump at least a couple mags shooting at a deer long range. I don’t think any deer were harmed. I finally got bored watching him shoot and kept hiking. He was still firing. I would have bet that was more than 9 shots.

• Haha
Reactions: DFS
Colorado 3rd season this year I watched a guy dump at least a couple mags shooting at a deer long range. I don’t think any deer were harmed. I finally got bored watching him shoot and kept hiking. He was still firing. I would have bet that was more than 9 shots.
Shots certainly fly Colorado 3rd season. It is ugly and the deer are dumb.

Back