Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

When you realize you're not cool anymore . . .

I'll never forget the time a super nice guy wore elastic "mom jeans" to work. They rode him until the day he retired about that. lolololol

They tortured his ass. lol

There was a guy I used to work with at one of my summer jobs in my early 20s named Tyler. He liked tight jeans. We called him “TPT” for Tight Pants Tyler. Well, he obviously didn’t like that nickname very much, so we started calling him “GBTPT” instead, which was short for Gay Boy Tight Pants Tyler. He liked that one even less.

Those diesel mechanics warped my sense of humor well into my adult life.

I realized I am not cool anymore when I got really excited by the camo house slippers my daughter gave me for Christmas. I'm that guy now; the one that gets excited about house slippers. Where has time gone ha

During the pandemic my then eight year-old grandson did his on-line schooling every day at my place so his toddler sister wasn't disrupting things. He sat with the laptop at my dining room table. Usually I was out of the picture, but once in a while I appeared in the kitchen background to make a cup of coffee or start lunch. One morning the kids were given a break and socializing when I walked over to the sink. A little girl interrupts: "Parker! Your papa is really OLD!" I could here the teacher giggling. I ran over and jammed my face in the computer screen. "So ya think that's funny? Mrs S, your 'really old' day is coming soon enough!" That had the kids laughing.

Later in the year Parker decided to take his classmates on a virtual tour of the trophy room. That made me quite the celebrity. Everyone wanted to hear stories about African animals. Now I'm not only really old, I'm really cool.

I am more popular and respected now than at any point and am in my 60s.

Classmates from my high school surround me at the last couple of class reunions. Why? I certainly was not the last kid picked for kickball nor a bad student or a bad person but was middling cool at best and in the shadow of a couple of older brothers that hurt my "brand."

I escaped the end of the gravel road as I ventured away to earn a degree. I stayed away since graduation from high school and have worked for some cool companies plus married well to a smart, attractive big city girl. Traveled to some distinct places. Got a graduate degree from a well-known school. Hunted several species of big game. Have been in meetings with billionaires and pro team owners plus shook a few hands including sitting Presidents and Senators. All that helps my brand with some people.

I am least cool when on hunts as my clothes are mis-matched and I sometimes hire outfitters or pay to access private lands. I rarely shoot a huge critter but have a couple of oddball horns on the wall. Most of my school chums have never been on a hunt west of the Midwest so shoot things with feathers and whitetail deer. They like to hear about hunts in big country and on mountains.

Maybe is hard to understand if you grew up in a sophisticated place where is common for classmates to venture far and wide and be successful. My hometown was poor and small the day I was born and is today poorer and smaller. My older brothers do not think I am cool and my parents never were that excited. I am far from famous though in a small pond that I visit every year or so then I am a growing fish. I will be back visiting in April and if I say I will be at the local watering hole then several folks will show up to share a cold adult beverage with some driving half-way across the state. If I sneak in and out of town then I will later get asked why I did not swing by to say hello and am I being all highfalutin' and above my raising.

I dont think I ever was considered "cool"....which is good cause its been an upward trend ever sense. Especially when one just doesn't worry about it that much. My kids think I'm cool still so clearly they havent figured it out yet.

Growing up in the 90s, jeans that were way to dang big were considered cool. Now Joggers are considered cool.

I wear joggers at home and sometimes the golf course so I dont get made fun of too much. If I wore them at work id get shot.

I think I just answered the question…I don’t even know what “joggers” are 😖

I was never one of the cool kids in high school. I had friends alright, but they weren't part of the cool crowd either. Then one day many years later, I had just gotten back from a five-day elk hunt. On day two of that hunt, I had a bit of a mishap with an axe and sliced my shin open. I had just unwrapped the wound to check it out when my 15-year-old daughter and one of her girlfriends walked into the room and saw the gash on my leg. They asked what happened and I told them, then the friend asked if I had gone to the doctor. I said no, I didn't want to take time out of my hunting to go to a doctor. She looked at me and smiled and said," Damn, you're a real stud!" That was it, I had made it. I was finally officially cool. a high school girl smiled at me and called me a stud. Yup, I'm da man. Then of course my wife told me that I'm not a stud, I'm an idiot. She did have a point, so I didn't say anything, but I do think it is possible to be an idiot and a stud at the same time.

During the pandemic my then eight year-old grandson did his on-line schooling every day at my place so his toddler sister wasn't disrupting things. He sat with the laptop at my dining room table. Usually I was out of the picture, but once in a while I appeared in the kitchen background to make a cup of coffee or start lunch. One morning the kids were given a break and socializing when I walked over to the sink. A little girl interrupts: "Parker! Your papa is really OLD!" I could here the teacher giggling. I ran over and jammed my face in the computer screen. "So ya think that's funny? Mrs S, your 'really old' day is coming soon enough!" That had the kids laughing.

Later in the year Parker decided to take his classmates on a virtual tour of the trophy room. That made me quite the celebrity. Everyone wanted to hear stories about African animals. Now I'm not only really old, I'm really cool.
You should tell those kids that, on this forum, you’re pretty hot chit. 😊

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back