When to shoot?

Freedom

For those of you who have been fortunate enough to get a Montana goat....I was wondering when there hair is grown enough to make a nice representation.

My season started yesterday, I don't really want to get a slicked out summer coat so I am waiting. But I sure don't want to wait too long as to cause the early snows to keep me from gettting into the high mountains. Any thoughts???
Thanks

I shot my mtn goat in 2006. The forest fire season delayed the opening to hunt in my district by a few days but they finally opened it when the rains came in. My dad and I backpacked in 5 miles from the trailhead and camped in a bowl just shy of 10,000 feet. It was Sept 20th, cold, foggy and raining. We put my goat to bed that night (many preseason scouting trips helped me to locate the goat I wanted) and were wating for him at first light on the 21st. There was little visibilty and it was raining/snowing on and off. I finally got a break in the weather, about 30 minutes and shot my goat at just over 300 yards, off a high cliff. I had packed in my bow and rifle, but the weather report looked very bad so I took the shot with my .300 WinMag. The weather worsened. We had planned on being in the backcountry for 5 days with enough supplies at the truck for another 5 days. After boning and tubing my billy, we hiked back to camp, ate a hot meal, packed camp and headed for the trailhead in the snow. I knew 2 other guys who had a tag for that area that year and both ate their tags because they were waiting for later in the season when the goats chaps were longer (the raod to the trailhead was impassable the day after I shot my goat). I was and am very happy with my billy and am glad I took him when I was able to.

I understand your concern; shoot a shorter haired billy, or wait for a long haired one and run the risk of eating your tag. All I can say is, depending on the area you have the tag for (because some areas aren't really affected by late season snow), is pay attention to the weather and act accordingly. Good luck, have a great hunt, and keep us informed!

Attachments

• DSC03503.jpg
    DSC03503.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC03506.jpg
    DSC03506.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC03512.jpg
    DSC03512.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC03516.JPG
    DSC03516.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC03524.jpg
    DSC03524.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC03527.jpg
    DSC03527.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC03534.jpg
    DSC03534.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 375
Good luck on your goat hunt!

If I had your tag, I'd go the first week of October, and hunt until I filled it. The snow probably won't stick until 2nd or 3rd week in October (as you know). In November I've seen goats nearly in the creek on the southern boundary of your unit. Personally I think you could pretty much hunt them until the season closes.

I've been hoping to draw that same tag for nearly 20 years.

This one's from ID, but not terribly far from MT. It was quite haired out by the first week of Nov when the pic was taken. It was COLD, but not too snowy. Great trip. Just hope next time I go on a goat hunt that I have a tag... GOOD LUCK!

PB100042.jpg

910810532109_0_ALB.jpg

I have a couple MT goats. This one was from '08 and I think was killed around the 12th of Oct.

P1050623Large.jpg

A couple days later, when I got everything back to the pickup, it dumped. Perfect timing for that year.

In 2000 I shot one in the same unit a week later. Hair was even better. Only pics I have are of him on the wall.

I think you will be happy with mid-October hair. Hate to see shaved goats.

Good luck.

Last meal

p1050602__large.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! those are some Great Pictures!!.. Thanks guys!:D
I am really looking forward to the hunt, especially since my season is open right Right Now... but just last week I saw some of the goats in my unit and they still looked pretty shaven:D

My lungs hurt looking at some of those pictures.It looks like an aewsome hunt to try someday if I could ever draw
How tough are the goats to locate for NR.Not sure if its a doable diy hunt for me

this one was last year on the day before thanksgiving. i think his hair was just about long :)

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 305
When there is one in range, and you can make a clean shot....................Don't miss out, cuz you just Hav v v v eeee to have the perfect hunt. There ain't one. Make what you get a life long memory, and enjoy.

Back