Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

When to give up on a rifle?

To be honest I don't think a factory rifle like a Savage(although they are known to be accurate) with factory ammo is a sure thing to shoot 1moa groups. Many today will shoot MOA groups or less but what I'm saying is that there is no guarantee.

From Savage website : https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/e...the-expected-accuracy-of-my-centerfire-model-

I would consider contacting Savage although this probably should have been done during the warranty period.

To be honest I don't think a factory rifle like a Savage(although they are known to be accurate) with factory ammo is a sure thing to shoot 1moa groups. Many today will shoot MOA groups or less but what I'm saying is that there is no guarantee.

From Savage website : https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/e...the-expected-accuracy-of-my-centerfire-model-

I would consider contacting Savage although this probably should have been done during the warranty period.

With a warranty like that, they might as well not even publish one.

You can use a brass screw and some lapping compound to touch up the crown. Google it. I'd say it's worth a shot! A buddy has done a few with great results.

I am dealing with the same issue only a Browning. From my research, there are some guns that simply do not like free floated barrels so, the experts suggest sliding a business card under the barrel at the tip of the fore end and see if that makes a difference. I have not had the opportunity to try this yet.

Thats true but make sure the card is oiled so it doesn't absorb moisture.

Try some wipe-out ....do it a couple times. It will be as clean as you can get it after that, so you know fouling isn't the issue.
Other than that, it's time to take it to the pawn shop.

Thanks for the recommendations. I went over it again last night and I guess it's just at best an 1.5 inch gun using the current barrel. I think it this point I'm just gonna get rid of it I know I'm gonna take a loss, probably a considerable one but I'm just kind of done with it.

Thanks for the recommendations. I went over it again last night and I guess it's just at best an 1.5 inch gun using the current barrel. I think it this point I'm just gonna get rid of it I know I'm gonna take a loss, probably a considerable one but I'm just kind of done with it.
A new barrel would probably be less than a replacement and the loss you'll take on this one. That's the route I'd go if you like everything else about the rifle.

All the shooting has been done off of a bog pod, Caldwell front rest only, laid over a pack, and lead sled. What in particular would I be looking for on the recovered bullets?

Since you bought it new and take pretty good care, my idea was off. I was thinking the barrel could be fouled or shot out causing the lands and grooves to be visually affected. I hate it when I cannot solve a riddle, that's what I do. Good luck.

I would "dump that B**tch" in a heartbeat! :) You've already been more than patient with it and its been a sour relationship since day 1.

At this point I think I'm just going to part the gun out. I have someone interested in the stock. I can use the scope on something else. And I haven't made up my mind on what I'm gonna do with the barreled action. I could reassemble it into the original stock and just try to dump it or I have the idea this morning to re-barrel it for .243 and just start over. I just don't know yet. Either way I plan on making it lighter then the current configuration, it is at right over 10 pounds. I plan on picking up another .308 bolt gun probably tikka or Howa and just going from there. If I keep the action it Will be a back burner project.
It was a little disheartening to find this as savage thinks 1.5 inch group is acceptable at 100 yards but I guess a day late and a dollar short on that.
https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en...terfire-model-

Sell the rifle (barreled action and old stock) to one of the Savage fans. Some rifles simply are not worth the time and money to make right.

I would rebarrel it unless you think you can make more by parting it out. Me personally, I'd do a 260rem (or 243 if you don't reload)

I'd clean the gun barrel thoroughly like others have said and re do the barrel break in. I have had 3 savages that wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I m not a Savage fan at all. I also don't believe they are all that accurate either. I don't even bother with them any more. You will take a major loss on it. Like other have said before me clean the barrel up and then consider re barreling if it still doesn't shoot sell it at a loss.

I have no idea where this notion of sub MOA factory cheap guns came from. The best shooters I have ever seen all use ultra custom rifles and they shoot lights out with all loads consistently. That's the difference I have seen with both my semi custom rifles I currently have. Both shoot every thing quite well. Better components and better steel has always done better for me.

Just my 2 cents .................

I'd clean the gun barrel thoroughly like others have said and re do the barrel break in. I have had 3 savages that wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I m not a Savage fan at all. I also don't believe they are all that accurate either. I don't even bother with them any more. You will take a major loss on it. Like other have said before me clean the barrel up and then consider re barreling if it still doesn't shoot sell it at a loss.

I have no idea where this notion of sub MOA factory cheap guns came from. The best shooters I have ever seen all use ultra custom rifles and they shoot lights out with all loads consistently. That's the difference I have seen with both my semi custom rifles I currently have. Both shoot every thing quite well. Better components and better steel has always done better for me.

Just my 2 cents .................

You must not have shot any Ruger American Rifles. They are cheap and very accurate. I have seen several Savage Axis rifles that shoot lights-out with factory ammo. Cheap and accurate rifles are out there.

You must not have shot any Ruger American Rifles. They are cheap and very accurate. I have seen several Savage Axis rifles that shoot lights-out with factory ammo. Cheap and accurate rifles are out there.

I had a pretty awful experience w/ a Ruger American. Cheap, yes, but it shot all over the mountainside. I do understand that experience is the exception and not the rule. Litterally everybody I talked to about said some version of this, "Really? I have a couple of Americans and they're very accurate."

Sorry, no I haven't, actually I don't even pick them up in the gun store, but I do shoot a very accurate semi custom Ruger Hawkeye ........

I think everyones definition of "accurate" and "lights out" may be slightly different.
+1

I had a pretty awful experience w/ a Ruger American. Cheap, yes, but it shot all over the mountainside. I do understand that experience is the exception and not the rule. Litterally everybody I talked to about said some version of this, "Really? I have a couple of Americans and they're very accurate."

Yeah, we got a couple guys that use both. They shoot ok for their purposes of deer hunting. I wouldn't call them accurate by any stretch 2 inch guns at 50 -75 yards.

So my experiences probably differ vastly from others and by no means do I want to take away from others positive experiences with inexpensive rifles they jut never worked out for me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back