PEAX Equipment

When to give up on a rifle?

rmauch20

I am out of ideas and patience. I have a savage Model 11 .308 ( hog hunter). I have had the gun from about 3 years. If you not familiar the rifle has a 20” medium weight threaded barrel with 1-10 twist. It comes with savage’s plastic stock and has iron sights. The stock has been replaced and the iron sights removed. It has a Vortex Viper 4x12x40 for glass. Yesterday I reached my tipping point with it. I can’t for the life of life of me get it to shoot. At 105 yards it groups at 1.5-2.25 inches at 208 yards it jumps to the 6-8 inch groups, neither of which I feel is adequate. I have only gone out to 300 yards once with and it produced 12-15 inch group. I haven’t gone further out with due to the lack of accuracy. I have tired the following. The original bases and rings (Warne) have been removed and remounted x3 every time installed and torqued to spec. I have tried the following scopes Viper 4x12, Diamondback4x12, Leupold VXll 3x9, and a Primary arms1x6. I switched to a DNZ one piece mount and tried 3 out of 4 of the previous listed scopes.
As for ammo, It dislikes all 150 gr I have used. Which includes Remington cor-lockt, Hornady interlock, and Federal PSP. Moving up to the 165-168 gr. I have tired Hornady A-max and BTHP match, Federal Gold medal match, and BTHP match from Armscor. And finally 180gr hunting loads from Remington, Hornady, Federal, and Winchester. The heavier rounds group better but still not what I would consider good.
The stock has been replaced with one from Stockade gunstocks and torqued to their specs , trigger is set at 2.5 pounds. The barrel is free floated and Stockade doesn’t recommend bedding the action when using their stocks
My other .308 is a Remington 700 ADL 22inch barrel with the factory wood stock with a Vortex diamondback 4x12x40. The gun was bought new in 83/84 by my father. He is gone and it became mine. It is as factory as you can get. Even with the factory trigger set at around 6 pounds I can still shoot better with it by a considerable amount. Remington 150gr Cor-lockt produces three shot groups of at or below 1 inch at 100 yards, 2.5 at 200yds, 3.5-4.0 at 300yds, and 5.0-5.25 at 400yds. I am sure those could be improved if the trigger would be tuned or replaced, but I figure why mess with it. I know those numbers might not be that impressive to some but I am pleased with them especially using the Remington round. So I don’t think it’s me or maybe the Remington is that good.

Am I missing something obvious? I have been trying to think of something else to use, do, or try but I also starting to think I am might just have a money pit. At this point I want to sell\trade it away and move on. My Savage is like a bad girlfriend, I keep trying to make it work and she just keeps being a Bi*ch. Sorry for the long post.

I have 2 thoughts come to mind. Shoot a few rounds of each into some sand for comparison. Do the lands and grooves look similar from your shooter to the other? Also, do you have shooting sticks or a tripod mounted to the inaccurate rifle? I have a 7mm rem mag that drives nails at 100 freehand but can't hit a 55 gallon drum with the tripod attached.

All the shooting has been done off of a bog pod, Caldwell front rest only, laid over a pack, and lead sled. What in particular would I be looking for on the recovered bullets?

I'd move on. An inaccurate rifle is useless to me.

That said and as much as i hate to admit it(i detest savage actions), I've never saw a savage that wouldnt shoot.

That is real strange for a Savage. They normally are very accurate rifles. I wonder if maybe the crown is messed up? If you have access to someone that can do it, you may try re-crowning it. Other than that, I would be real tempted to re-barrel it, or sell it for the action. I would suggest a Criterion barrel.

That is real strange for a Savage. They normally are very accurate rifles. I wonder if maybe the crown is messed up? If you have access to someone that can do it, you may try re-crowning it. Other than that, I would be real tempted to re-barrel it, or sell it for the action. I would suggest a Criterion barrel.

That has been my experience also. I have one of their 223 bolt guns that is great I couldn't ask anything more out of it. The crown looks good to the eye . One thing I haven't done is run a borescope down the barrel but I don't know what I would be looking for even if I had access to one.

I would try giving the bore a good deep clean with a proven copper and carbon remover and get it down to bare metal then see what it will do. If nothing improves it might be time for a new barrel or some experimenting with hand loads. Has it ever shot good? Did you buy it new? Did you do any barrel break-in? How many rounds have you shot through it?

Yes do a very good scrub with some of the copper removing stuff...possibly make some Homemade Ed's Red as it does the job but will ruin the plastic stock so be careful. If you can't get it to shoot after a few more rounds then I'd rebarrel with any brand of choosing but as mentioned Criterion is a solid option and you can choose just about any caliber you want that will fit.

It has consistently been 1.5-2.0 gun. The 1.5 groups are with match grade ammo and using a lead sled for shooting platform.
Yes it was bought new. Breakin procedure was 10 rounds scrub and clean barrel fire another 10 rounds and then confirm zero. Total round can at this point is right below for 450ish. I've been chasing accuracy issue from the start. At first I thought it was the plastic stock, that was changed to a custom. With no real difference.

I have chased my tail with a bad rifle before and it's frustrating, time consuming, expensive, and a shooting confidence buster. It sure sounds like you have done everything reasonable to get it dialed in. I would move on...

For as inexpensive as a nice rifle can be had these days I'd get rid of the non-shooter. Hardly worth the time and effort to keep fiddling with it after everything you've already tried.

Send it back to Savage for them to inspect. If they find a problem they will fix it. I'm thinking you prob got a bad barrel. I think I remember some hog hunters that were complained about a while ago on savageshooters, but it has been a bit. Also are you cleaning the barrel after every outing. I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this, but I clean the chamber and the action. The barrel only get a wet patch run through it after using until accuracy falls off, which is between 140 and 170 rounds for the 270 and I haven't figured it out for the 6.5. At that point I de-copper and then pop 5 rounds through it to refoul the barrel, wet patch put away. The .270 in sub 3/4" all day everyday. The 6.5 is sub 1" all day everyday. Minus human error on the previous statements. Also I am not shooting factory ammo that is with custom loads.

If you just want to get rid of the .308 drop me a PM. The worst I can say in no.

How did it shoot with the original stock?
I went back and looked at targets that I kept from when I started this process and the aftermarket stock made no noticeable difference on group size or consistency. And Yeah I am that guy keeps paper targets in folders for each rifle I have. LOL.

I'm pretty basic when it comes to cleaning. I really only scrub the barrel if it's going to be stored for sometime. I haven't ran my round count up as high as yours between cleanings but it's not uncommon for me to shoot 50 to 60 rounds between cleanings.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at targets that I kept from when I started this process and the aftermarket stock made no noticeable difference on group size or consistency. And Yeah I am that guy keeps paper targets in folders for each rifle I have. LOL.

I'm pretty basic when it comes to cleaning. I really only scrub the barrel if it's going to be stored for sometime. I haven't ran my round count up as high as yours between cleanings but it's not uncommon for me to shoot 50 to 60 rounds between cleanings.

I've saved targets too, it's not THAT weird.

I am dealing with the same issue only a Browning. From my research, there are some guns that simply do not like free floated barrels so, the experts suggest sliding a business card under the barrel at the tip of the fore end and see if that makes a difference. I have not had the opportunity to try this yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back