Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What's your favorite rifle?

My Remington 722 in .257 Roberts. Handed down to me from my "Grampy" when I was 12 (holy crap, that was 35 years ago). My first whitetail, my sons first, my daughters first..... tearin up just writing this.

1948 Remington 721 30-06 with beuler rings and mount holding a 4x black dot weaver. Bought it for $75 from my grandfather after spending a day gun shopping with him. I didn't find anything I liked in my price range and he couldn't believe how much new guns cost so on the way home he said he would sell it to me. I would have paid 10 times that much to have his gun. Shot my first deer with it that fall and a bunch of other critters over the years but it mostly stays in the safe now.

Browning A-bolt Medallion in 300 Win Mag. My parents gave it to me on my 19th birthday.

I gave my son a Browning X-bolt in 300 Win mag for his 18th Birthday. I hope he feels the same about that gun when he is my age.

1954 remington model 760 in.35 Rem. This gun has been handed down from my grandfather to my uncle to me. It sat in the cabinet for a lot of years until 2010. I pretty much only use it on my NW Montana whitetail hunts.

Attachments

• IMG_4509.JPG
    IMG_4509.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 100_0392.JPG
    100_0392.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 337
1954 remington model 760 in.35 Rem. This gun has been handed down from my grandfather to my uncle to me. It sat in the cabinet for a lot of years until 2010. I pretty much only use it on my NW Montana whitetail hunts.
Looks like it still works just fine.....:cool:

I have had a couple of favorites, my old Winchester bolt action 22-250, One of the very first Colt AR-15's with the detachable handle - wished I still had them both. The one that stood out though was one I got from my grandpa - Browning BAR 7mm mag. I loved that rifle. It just fit me so well. I never missed with it. I just gave it to my son for Christmas to keep it in the family. Now I am looking for my next favorite rifle.

Spring of 1971 found me landing at Ft. Lewis back from VietNam. I kissed the good earth of USA and soon ran out to McChord AFB Base Exchange, where I ordered my Remington Model 700 BDL 7mm Rem mag. Since then it has shot gophers, prairie dogs, antelope, deer, elk, and moose. It continues to fit like an old broke-in glove every time I bring it up to my shoulder. 'Think I'll keep it.

Bought a Ruger M77 when I was 14 in .300 Win Mag. Said it would be my only Big Game rifle, and it has been for the last 24 years. See no reason to change it yet.

Spring of 1971 found me landing at Ft. Lewis back from VietNam. I kissed the good earth of USA and soon ran out to McChord AFB Base Exchange, where I ordered my Remington Model 700 BDL 7mm Rem mag. Since then it has shot gophers, prairie dogs, antelope, deer, elk, and moose. It continues to fit like an old broke-in glove every time I bring it up to my shoulder. 'Think I'll keep it.

I would keep it too sir.

My favorite. Commercial 98 Mauser action originally a Golden State Arms imported barreled action that my favorite uncle put together in '68 before going to Nam and then passed on to me several years ago. It's in the original Fajen stock but the alloy bottom metal was broke so I contoured and fitted military steel bottom metal to the action and stock. The barrel was totally shot out, so much throat errosion that you couldn't seat a 160grn round nose and touch the rifling, so I had it rebarrelled with a Douglas Premium Airguaged 6.5/.264 1:8 #2 contour barrel and had it chambered in 6.5x55 Match (it had originally been a 6.5x55Swede and I wanted to maintain that chamber, the Match reamer is just a piloted reamer with the freebore optimized for long secant ogive bullets), Mark Skaggs in Grants Pass performed the gunsmithing work and blued the barrelled action beautifully. Once I got the barrelled action back from Mark I refinished the stock and glass bedded the action. Now it wears Mueller optics. I couldn't be happier with this rifle. It shoots 3/8" groups with 140grn Hornady SSTs when I do my part and hits like the hammer of Thor on deer.
lena002.jpg

The bedding job.
lena001.jpg

My youngest has laid claim to this rifle so it will be staying in the family for a third generation.
lena006.jpg

This rifle started the second Mauser project, a .280 Ackley Improved which will go to my middle son, and I have a third Mauser action that I hope to someday build into something special for my oldest boy.

Last edited:

Thank You for Your Service, Sir

Hard to beat a 7 mag for sure....

My favorite is probably Kimber Montana 300WSM with Leupold VXIII 2.5x8, because its accurate and very lightweight. But the one most cherished is my father's 1937 Model 70 '06. Shot my first buck with it at 14, now that my father can no longer hunt he passed it on to me.

Without a doubt mine is my Winchester Model 94 w/ Leupold Scout scope. :) Killed my first buck with it at age 12 and probably will kill my last buck with it as well.
IMG_0213.jpg

Its nice to see the old lever actions still in use. You need to take it one step further and take the scope off. Do it before your eyes go bad.

Too hard to pick just one, so a pair of levers it is for me,
1951 Model 99 in 300 Savage and a 1980 Marlin in 375 Winchester:cool:

Attachments

• guns 048.jpg
    guns 048.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 518

Brother, I am glad you made it back to the woods!! I think most of us vets feel better in the woods when we get back. Peace, quiet and beauty. I hope you enjoy every minute out there!! Thanks for taking the heat rounds you must have so that we ( the recent vets) can have it as easy as we do. God bless you and your battle buddies!

I know it is not a popular gun and many have problems with theirs....but....mine is my Rem 710 in 30-06. I have taken both my first deer and elk with it, it has never failed me and shoots nice groups at the range (1.5" @ 100m) from just a sandbag. Likes Fed ammo better than others. Icing on the cake is that it only cost me $275 brand new in '03 when I first decided I wanted to try hunting. Second favorite would have to be my son's Handi in .44mag. Bought him that for early-Christmas (2 years ago) and took him out to get his first deer in IN while we were home on leave. On of the best days of my life. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back