MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Whats your favorite part of a hunt?

Werty

What part of a hunting trip is the most enjoyable. I know some people enjoy the planning, exercising, camp life, the kill or the weighted pack out.

For me its my midday naps in archery for elk. Last year while hunting, I glassed up a herd that was bedded. I got as close as I could, then realizing I couldn't get any closer due to wind and cover. I decided to take a nap. I would like to say I killed a elk after it, but no. I do laugh at myself for how much I enjoy a good nap while hunting.

I'm curious what other people have to say.

Its that moment you get back to camp, all sweaty and tired probably blood covered and stinky. Been packing meat all day and you finally get done working for day and you just get to exhale and realize what you accomplished. Maybe enjoy a cold beer, maybe no fire cause your to tired but you just finally get to mentally relax and realize the achievement. I usually have a second "dam i did it" moment on long drives home when my brain wanders.

I dont know exactly. I like all of it. I would probably say I am the most excited and happy the day I leave where I am at heading to a hunt. But Im in a good mood the entire hunt. I never let anything get me down on a hunt. Not weather, people ,lack of game or mechanical issues. I just roll with it. I guess thats a benefit of not taking myself to seriously. I wasnt always like that. Then one day I thought…..dont I do this for fun?

To me that would be picking a favorite kid, I can't do it. I love application season, planning, anticipation, leaving for the hunt and the trip there, the actual hunt, end of day reminiscing, the pack out, the planning for the next hunt on the way home. Just can't pick a favorite.

For me, it's the moment I see or hear my quarry for the first time after exiting the truck. Also, the rare moments when it's sunny, bitter cold, and utterly windless in the Wyoming prairie. I've had a handful of those moments hunting late season elk. The odds of having one of those moments goes up as the temperature goes south of zero.

Been blessed to have grown up and lived in Alaska and Oregon. I’ve mostly retired, one more summer guiding in Bristol Bay, then we’ll see.
I live in good elk country. I drive 45 minutes to where we like to camp. Some of our hunts are actually closer to the house then they are the tent. For me it’s the final three or four days before season. I’ll drive up, set up the wall tents, cut some wood and do a little scouting. Spend those days and nights quiet and by myself. Scout morning and evening, dang elk are in the same places they were the first time I hunted up there in 1967.
The boys all roll in the evening before..

The night before opener. The anticipation and optimism for what is to come in the morning. Still hard to sleep that night.

Back