Whats your favorite part of a hunt?

Opening morning, first hour of the hunt. Sun coming up, anticipation is high, mountain sights, sounds, smells. All senses are in overdrive. Followed closely by putting a stalk together that gets you right in the middle with the herd and they have no clue that you are there. Family and close friends spending time together in the great outdoors. Screw it. It's all good.

What part of a hunting trip is the most enjoyable. I know some people enjoy the planning, exercising, camp life, the kill or the weighted pack out.

For me its my midday naps in archery for elk. Last year while hunting, I glassed up a herd that was bedded. I got as close as I could, then realizing I couldn't get any closer due to wind and cover. I decided to take a nap. I would like to say I killed a elk after it, but no. I do laugh at myself for how much I enjoy a good nap while hunting.

I'm curious what other people have to say.
Being in the woods with fresh fallen snow before dawn and watching the woods wake up. Nothing like it....

The total mind consuming year leading up to it. The anticipation of an upcoming hunt drives me and helps me put up with the day-to-day corporate bs life. It grips my soul.

Getting to a spot and seeing how it compares to how I had it pictured in my mind. About 1/2 the time I’m thinking “Oh it’s about what I thought” the other 1/2 “oh #*^+ I shoulda been laying off the booze and fish fry’sabout 6 months before I did”

The sound of a bunch of turkeys gobbling in the pre-dawn darkness as I set in my blind. The bugle of a bull elk close by during a stalk...I actually shake a little. The memories accumulated over 65 years of hunting -replayed in my mind as I remember my family members who have passed on. They were my best friends and hunting mentors when I first took a rifle into the field.

When I was a kid, the night before was the best. Oiling the rifle, cleaning the scope lens, packing up the daypack. It was better than Christmas.

Back