Whats your favorite part of a hunt?

When it all comes together. The planning. The scouting. Gear prep. Body prep and most importantly, the mind prep. And there is your prey. What a rush!

I have to go with camp life also. Sitting around telling stories and cooking up a good meal. Just can't beat it.

My moment is letting that arrow go. You've done your scouting, and planning, and map reading, practice, physical fitness, and you get the beautiful event of perfection...he's eating, practiced distance, no wind...he's clueless to your ambush. You are shaking as adrenaline starts pulsing through you. The sweat, the shake, to wandering of your pin. It can't even be relayed how we feel. Your pin settles, you put pressure on your release trigger...you pull it. That excitement of the shot, the excitement of all the hard work coming together, the wonder of the shot placement. You force yourself to wait while your heart pumps and your head races. Pull out the jet boil and make a cup of coffee, have a snack...

What part of a hunting trip is the most enjoyable. I know some people enjoy the planning, exercising, camp life, the kill or the weighted pack out.

For me its my midday naps in archery for elk. Last year while hunting, I glassed up a herd that was bedded. I got as close as I could, then realizing I couldn't get any closer due to wind and cover. I decided to take a nap. I would like to say I killed a elk after it, but no. I do laugh at myself for how much I enjoy a good nap while hunting.

I'm curious what other people have to say.
The best part for me is hiking my butt off in the middle of the dark, getting to the top of a windy ridge barely able to breath, and then just sitting and watching the sunrise and the mountain come alive. Nothing better than that.

It used to be disappearing into the woods by myself, but now that my boys are old enough and can keep up it’s definitely disappearing into the woods with them. Completely different experience and expectations sure have changed but definitely my favorite.

Too many aspects of the prep and actual hunt to name one, I enjoy so much of the whole entire process. A few that stand out for me.
1. Since I live in Ohio, when my boots are on the ground in elk country; all life's matters go away for me.
2. Hearing the first bugle of the year/hunt.
3. Hearing your buddy say ....... "your bull is laying right here"

The eve of the season, after knowing I have done my homework and have good odds.

I specifically remember one year in high school. I had patterned a herd of elk and had glassed them with a nice 5 point until dark the night before opener. Nobody else around. He was on the ground within 20 minutes of daylight on opening morning. I know a million things can still interfere, but I was a giddy little kid that entire night and was up at 3:30 am ready to roll.

Obviously the whole package keeps us coming back, but I love the moments where you just can’t help but smile… Nat Geo moments that you should probably film or take a picture of, but you’re lost in the moment. A bobcat sneaking up on songbirds… the sun shining off a buck’s back as he crests a knoll, steam coming out of his nose… sunsets so pretty and perfect they bring a tear to your eye… the last light of the last day when you’re trying to savor every last drop of these times and memories…

The first gobble of the morning.

Hearing a deer walking in the woods and waiting to see it.

Seeing a squirrel tail flicker as he thinks he has evaded you but is sitting perfect for the headshot.

Getting through St. Louis on the drive west.
St. Louis is a definite milestone and usually one of our few traffic trouble spots.

The planning for the Western trips is just as much fun as when we hang stands and trim out shooting lanes each Summer. And as the years pass, retelling the stories and hearing how much they change from what you remembered.

Seeing a new spot and realizing you made the right choice to set up there.

When the stars align on opening morning.

Last year gun deer opener it was steady snow, cool, and perfect wind. Nobody else was hunting the public spot. As the sun came up my buddy and I still-hunted our way into the ravine. We knew we had all the advantages over the deer’s senses. Winter wonderland for a couple hours and finally we had a buck chasing a doe fawn run right into our lap and we shot the buck together. One of my favorite hunts.

when you've just battled elements and the whole trip has gone sideways, but you can just smile at your hunting partner because you've just found what you have been looking for (camp, vehicle, animal, water)

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back