Caribou Gear Tarp

What’s the perfect big game arrow setup?

nontyp

I have been bow hunting for a long time and have always used the same setup, and it has been very effective. I am just exploring my options to see if there is some sort of improvement I can make specifically for killing elk. I have killed 2 bulls with this setup. The blood trails were basically nonexistent, but they were short. currently i use easton bloodline arrows 330 gpi tipped with 125 gr g5 montecs and i shoot a 70lb bear compound.

From what you stated, your set up seems fine and you already have positive results. IMO, the broadhead seems heavy considering what most use these days (100 grain). You might try a slightly heavier arrow and a lighter broadhead. This will re-locate the center of mass on the arrow and may allow the momentum to drive the arrow (differently) on impact. Basically, the arrow would drive the broadhead a little better (no actual scientific proof). Just an idea.

I recommend you speak to your local (pro) archery shop and discuss your current setup and what animal you will be hunting.

Seems to me your set up does what it's supposed to do, kill Elk. Is it consistently accurate at all distances? What type of penetration did you get? Did it hit bone? You know the old saying if it's not broke. Just some thoughts.

if you can get pass thrus with that setup I wouldnt change a thing. My setup is similar to yours. 413 grain arrows with 125 grain two blade broadhead on a 60 lb bow. Blows thru elk no problem. I dont get much of a blood trail either but all have died within sight. I know people are starting to change over to very heavy arrows, which IMO is perfectly fine with me. In my case I have a 27.5 draw length and shoot 60lbs cause thats just what I like. Cant afford to shoot a super heavy arrow without severe loss in speed.

Adding more weight is never a problem when it comes to penetration, Also a well placed shot is even more important. You can kill elk with a 300 grain arrow if you hit it in the right spot. Practice and confidence in your setup is far more important. If you feel more confident with a heavier or lighter arrow go with what you feel confident in. If I were you I wouldnt change much unless your really unhappy with the blood trail.

Stay with what you have except ditch the montec, they dont take a good edge due to the cheap injection molded metal.

Go to a good 4 bladed head with primary blade and bleeders and you will be better off. Soilds, IW, day six evo, magnus, and a bunch of others.

Seems to me your set up does what it's supposed to do, kill Elk. Is it consistently accurate at all distances? What type of penetration did you get? Did it hit bone? You know the old saying if it's not broke. Just some thoughts.
I’ve gotten good penetration i think, not sure what I should expect. I had penetration of maybe 3/4 of the arrow on both bulls. I usually get pass throughs on whitetails unless i punch through the shoulder blade. both elk were roughly 40 yard shots. I agree with the “aint broke dont fix it mentality”. Might not make any changes, just exploring options.

You should be getting pass thru. Swap out your broadhead to something more high end and you should zip thru those elk no problem. I think you will be surprised with the results by just putting a better broad head on. I understand the prices of some are just silly. But there are plenty of good options out there that are more affordable. But you do get what you pay for.

Poor blood trails can be a reflection of multiple things. Shot placement, organs severed, penetration, whether the wound channel is plugged, etc.

But, the number one place to start and easiest fix is with a super sharp head. There is a certain amount of elasticity in blood vessels that allows a dull head to push around them when a sharper head would sever them cleanly. A sharper head will allow greater penetration as well.

As was stated above the injection molded Montecs do not hold a very good edge. The CS model of Montecs May be better but I haven’t tried them.

I figure your arrow weight to be 405-420gr. (330 is the spine, 8.7 is your arrow's gpi) which to me is light for elk.

Depending on your terrain- thick woods vs. Open desert I think arrow weight should be 450-650gr for elk.

Depending on your bow speed, terrain you should be able to find a happy medium between arrow weight and trajectory. If You're in close and your longest shot may only be 45yds, you can take advantage of a very heavy arrow. A lot of guys get hung up on trying to shoot laser beams out of their bow but I'll take a heavier, slower arrow any day. You'll get less wasted energy and less vibration from your bow The whole point of archery is to get close, right?

Broadheads are undoubtedly the most important part of your arrow for taking game. Can you kill with a dull cheap blade? Yes. A sharp, strong blade is a lot better at it though.

2 vs 3 blade. 2 blades generally penetrate better, but can be more difficult to get a good blood trail. 3 blades offer better blood, but sometimes dont penetrate as well. You can get 3 blades in heavier weights which have shallower tip angles that considerably aid their penetrating ease. Either way I prefer an unvented head. They are stronger and quieter. I dont know how much arrow noise really helps but if nothing else it's a placebo.

No matter what weight you choose, ditch the montecs. They're soft and hard to get truely sharp. Shoot for 50-55 Rockwell hardness heads. Check out VPA, Cutthroat, Bone, Day Six...they all have excellent heads.

Using wet/dry auto sandpaper up to 1000 grit and taking the factory edge off the montec they are stupid sharp. The edge does not hold but I don’t need it to. After 1 impact it is getting resharpened anyways. A lot easier to sharpen than a lot of broadhead styles

You might try Slick Tricks. They are a strong 4 blade broadhead and are very sharp. They are priced good compared to many of the other heads. They fly good for me and other friends that use them.

I currently shoot a Mathews at 75lbs with a 635 grain arrow set up moving at 265fps....if I had to re-do it, Id go with a 50gr outsert over the 100gn I have and maybe a lighter arrow gpi... I do like the heavier set up for tuning and having a quieter bow at the shot.

I have been bow hunting for a long time and have always used the same setup, and it has been very effective. I am just exploring my options to see if there is some sort of improvement I can make specifically for killing elk. I have killed 2 bulls with this setup. The blood trails were basically nonexistent, but they were short. currently i use easton bloodline arrows 330 gpi tipped with 125 gr g5 montecs and i shoot a 70lb bear compound.

I am on Elk number 14 with a completely opposite setup. I only pull 61lbs, bloodline arrows 400's, have a 26" draw run, WacEm XL 100's up front. My bow of choice is a 2012 Hoyt Rampage XT but have two others I play with from time to time. I personally don't put much value or attention into the heavy arrow thing (there is plenty of science to back it up but science and real world field application vary widely). I have done fine over the years with my short draw, 350grn arrows shooting 270fps. Im not a treestand hunter either. Spot and stock or natural ground blind guy. Ive had complete pass throughs at 60yard shots but also have had single lung shots at 20. Average shot has been about 40 yards on elk over the years. So many factors go into penetration and killing prowess of an arrow setup. I am living proof that you don't need a 450-500 grain arrow. In the end it's about getting the shot on target. The arguments that take place over speed vs weight can happen all day long but in the end if you're killing elk what's to argue about. I personally don't really have either and kill plenty of elk. 270FPS these days is not fast and a 350grn arrow is surely not the latest craze for killing elk. Ive taken a handful of Muley's with this same setup as well as a few Coyotes. I would say if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I agree with many comments here and wanted to add I dont think their is a prefect arrow set up every bow is just a bit different IMO it more important to shoot well and have a well tuned bow
if an arrow flys true and hits the boiler room chances are you wont have a terrible tracking job.
I know i can over think my set up and prob many of us do too. the old saying if it aint broke !

I agree with many comments here and wanted to add I dont think their is a prefect arrow set up every bow is just a bit different IMO it more important to shoot well and have a well tuned bow
if an arrow flys true and hits the boiler room chances are you wont have a terrible tracking job.
I know i can over think my set up and prob many of us do too. the old saying if it aint broke !

Have to agree here.

I would add that a heavier arrow will make you bow quieter.

Have to agree here.

I would add that a heavier arrow will make you bow quieter.
yup thats for sure Im shooting a FMJ about 450 gr and my niturm turbo is whisper quiet
Ive shot anything from lite 370 gr to 500 plus and like about 450 gr or so, their are many great arrows and broadheads made these days its more of a shooters choice and set up

If you have some free time you should check out the Ranch Fairy YouTube channel. He is a high FOC/heavy arrow setup guy. He also talks about single bevel cut on contact broad heads quite a bit.

His presentation may come across as a crazy person at first, but he knows his stuff and does a good job of explaining it and showing test results of different arrow setups that he tests/uses on large hogs down in Texas.

His playlist titled high FOC arrow building is a decent place to start. I usually watch most of his video uploads just for entertainment purposes and tend to learn a thing or two along the way.

yup thats for sure Im shooting a FMJ about 450 gr and my niturm turbo is whisper quiet
Ive shot anything from lite 370 gr to 500 plus and like about 450 gr or so, their are many great arrows and broadheads made these days its more of a shooters choice and set up

My every day arrow set up is 550gn all up.
We have water buffalo Here in Oz, they are genuine big game animal. I found 750gn works for me - have shot as high as 870gn. The heavier arrow didn’t really penetrate any better. I’ve always used 2 blade double and single beveled broadheads on big critters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back