PEAX Equipment

What's on the smoker today?

Never smoked chops. Thought they'd dry out. Might have to give it a try.

Never smoked chops. Thought they'd dry out. Might have to give it a try.

This was my first time smoking them. They're pretty juicy. The loin roasts were really moist as well. Did the chops and the roasts at 225. 1 hour for the chops, 3 hours for the roasts. Could have gone another 1/2 hour on the roasts. Used apple chips in the propane smoker but thinking I prefer chunk wood to the chips.

Anyone have and Time and Temps for a round tip roast off a white tail?

I put an elk shank on the smoker for a few hours this morning. Then in the crock pot the rest of the day. Braising liquid was a barleywine. Pic is post-smoker / pre-braising.

Kaitum, how did this turn out? I like this idea for shredded taco meat etc.

Thanks

Kaitum, how did this turn out? I like this idea for shredded taco meat etc.

Thanks
I was happy with the results. May have gotten a bit carried away with the jalepenos but otherwise wouldn't have done anything different. I just ate it as a stew with the veges. I have another elk shank in the crock pot today (didn't smoke it) that I'll shred for burritos this week.

Been wanting to try some smoked paprika for a while but red, fresh poblanos are hard to get so I bought some dried guajillo chiles and will give them a try. I split and seeded them then gave them a little water to partially re hydrate and put them on the screens.
Oak wood for about 6 hours or so, depending on when the weather moves in. I'll grind them into powder when done.
DSCN0110 (1200x900).jpg

18 pound turkey. Smoked until the internal temp was just above 160.

All ingredients were added at the beginning. I warmed the butter so it was whippable but not fully melted. When I combined it with the Pepsi and apples and onions and garlic and such it became a sort of conglomerate that was easily stuffed inside the turkey.

I also basted it in its juices every couple hours

Been wanting to try some smoked paprika for a while but red, fresh poblanos are hard to get so I bought some dried guajillo chiles and will give them a try. I split and seeded them then gave them a little water to partially re hydrate and put them on the screens.
Oak wood for about 6 hours or so, depending on when the weather moves in. I'll grind them into powder when done.
View attachment 120368

Finishing off my chiles today in a light cold rain. Crushed them up a bit and hope to get 5 more hours of oak smoke before I grind and powder them.

DSCN0118 (1200x900).jpg

Back