Whats on the menu for the holidays?

Prime rib, sweet potato caserole and shrimp cocktail on Christmas eve.

Christmas both sides of the family come over, so we do a large lasagna with venison meat sauce and meatballs. Everyone else brings a side or dessert.

New Years there's only one thing ever on the menu, pork and sauerkraut. It's a long standing PA Dutch tradition.

Prime rib, sweet potato caserole and shrimp cocktail on Christmas eve.

Christmas both sides of the family come over, so we do a large lasagna with venison meat sauce and meatballs. Everyone else brings a side or dessert.

New Years there's only one thing ever on the menu, pork and sauerkraut. It's a long standing PA Dutch tradition.
What type of pork? We always do pork chops and kraut..

Debating about trying a honey baked venison roast like someone posted somewhere on HT last week, but slightly terrified of f-ing up a 10 lb elk roast in the process.

Definitely going to do rouladen with elk eye of round. Elk carpaccio as appetizer.

Some years it's hog maw, sometimes boston butt, sometimes loin. Never did pork chops though.
We did a butt in the crockpot last week, so I'm guessing loin this year.

Finalizing my menu for Sat & Sun. It is just me and the Mr. Saturday brunch is french toast with apple/cherry jelly from our friends place in western montana. Gonna put a mascrapone whip on top. Sides of bacon and eggs too. Dinner is cow elk tenderloin with lump crab, asparagus and bernaise. I am gonna make the bernaise from scratch... hopefully i dont get too drunk and mess it up. Sunday morn is biscuits and elk sausage gravy. Dinner is grouse pot pie. Might try a morel roux to add to the pot pie filling.

Finalizing my menu for Sat & Sun. It is just me and the Mr. Saturday brunch is french toast with apple/cherry jelly from our friends place in western montana. Gonna put a mascrapone whip on top. Sides of bacon and eggs too. Dinner is cow elk tenderloin with lump crab, asparagus and bernaise. I am gonna make the bernaise from scratch... hopefully i dont get too drunk and mess it up. Sunday morn is biscuits and elk sausage gravy. Dinner is grouse pot pie. Might try a morel roux to add to the pot pie filling
Elk Oscar, I should try something like that my wife's favorite meal is salmon oscar. Although this year it would have to be whitetail Oscar.

Last edited:
Christmas Eve
Lunch: NOLA BBQ Jumbo Gulf Pink Shrimp and French Bread.
Dinner: Shrimp, mussels and scallops over Linguini.

Christmas
Brunch: Shrimp and Grits.
Dinner: Rib Roast with potatoes and Brussel sprouts.

New Years Eve
Dinner: Venison Loin with Mushroom Risotto and asparagus.

New Years Day.
Brunch: Eggs Benedict.
Dinner: Chicken , shrimp and sausage Jambalaya.
ryan-reynolds-tired.gif

Finalizing my menu for Sat & Sun. It is just me and the Mr. Saturday brunch is french toast with apple/cherry jelly from our friends place in western montana. Gonna put a mascrapone whip on top. Sides of bacon and eggs too. Dinner is cow elk tenderloin with lump crab, asparagus and bernaise. I am gonna make the bernaise from scratch... hopefully i dont get too drunk and mess it up. Sunday morn is biscuits and elk sausage gravy. Dinner is grouse pot pie. Might try a morel roux to add to the pot pie filling.
tom-y-jerry-tom-and-jerry.gifpics or it didn't happen.

We will be at my wife’s family on the Mississippi Gulf Coast this year. My wife’s grandmother will be making her famous seafood gumbo. She won best gumbo for like 13 years at the county fair and she hasn’t made it in quite a few years. We are all pumped. Of course we will have all the other traditional fair and I’ll be smoking some wild Turkey breasts that I harvested in Nebraska this year.

We will be at my wife’s family on the Mississippi Gulf Coast this year. My wife’s grandmother will be making her famous seafood gumbo. She won best gumbo for like 13 years at the county fair and she hasn’t made it in quite a few years. We are all pumped. Of course we will have all the other traditional fair and I’ll be smoking some wild Turkey breasts that I harvested in Nebraska this year.
Ah, the MS Gulf coast....my mom, rest her soul, was from Pass Christian and grew up 1 block off the beach...I can still taste the dishes she made for us that I don't get anymore. I have not been down there for 35+ years. Enjoy !

Ah, the MS Gulf coast....my mom, rest her soul, was from Pass Christian and grew up 1 block off the beach...I can still taste the dishes she made for us that I don't get anymore. I have not been down there for 35+ years. Enjoy !
Oh how the Coast is changed over the past 17 years, let alone over the last 35+. It’s still beautiful and the Spanish moss is really beginning to flourish since Katrina. I lived in Pass Christian for a short time but if I had to live on the Coast again, I would be in Bay St Louis. Come back down…I’ll show you around. Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Wife's side typically does prime rib, my side has been changing it up, I think last year we did Italian themed. Pasta, lasagna, no idea what it is this year.

I was just told to be there by noon and to bring my dashing good looks and my staggering sense of humor!

I'll probably bring some Jack and maybe a case of beer

AZ Merriams Turkey - Fried turkey sandwiches

CA bear - meatball appetizers
bear fat - apple pie crust

NY Whitetail - burgers and chili

NV ducks - jalapeño popper appetizers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173