Whats on the menu for the holidays?

Christmas eve my family gets together for a potluck dinner with a ham or something for the main meat. I'll try to make it this year, I'm only 1/4 mile away! Here at home I'm planning on smoking a beef rib roast Christmas day for the 3 of us. Maybe break out some shrimp to go with it. Not going to be very warm outside so the smoking better not be a problem! Wood burner and temperature control by vents means in and out of the house.

Christmas eve my family gets together for a potluck dinner with a ham or something for the main meat. I'll try to make it this year, I'm only 1/4 mile away! Here at home I'm planning on smoking a beef rib roast Christmas day for the 3 of us. Maybe break out some shrimp to go with it. Not going to be very warm outside so the smoking better not be a problem! Wood burner and temperature control by vents means in and out of the house.
It's not the holidays without shrimp.

Figured maybe we could share some ideas. Nothing too exotic for the holiday were hosting smoking a turkey and baking one of the hams from our hogs in pineapple/beer. Maybe some appetizers with some sort of wild game haven't decided yet.
Friends Christmas party going on now ham from the store with a pecan praline glaze and a 8lb20221217_151133.jpg CAB prime standing rib roast. Going to do a large 28lb ham from our pigs on Christmas day. Having dinner at the in laws Christmas eve were bringing the meat and cheese tray.

My wife literally just asked me for ideas on what we want. So now I have more reasons to come and check HuntTalk this week.

Just finished up a pot of chicken and dumplings. Also, I’ve had a slow cooker going all day with deer stew in it. We’re fixing to head to the mother in laws for dinner and gifts for the kids! Everyone is bringing something so my retired mother in law doesn’t have to do anything. At 71 she’s cooked her fair share over the years.

We always do a big Mexican feast for Christmas Eve, with the star being green chicken enchiladas with our homemade sauce recipe. I think this year I will smoke some of my wild pig and turn that into smoked carnitas, and make one tray of enchiladas with that. I’ll report back on how it turns out!

Prime Rib shipped in from New York on dry ice. My wife’s home made cranberry relish. Baked Christmas cookies. Don’t know much more than that at this time as my son and grandson are cooking and they say the menu is extensive. He might use his gas grill. I’ll take their word for it. He just says that when the Eagles game comes on Christmas Eve at 4:30pm ET, there can’t be too many interruptions. And……………an awful lot of wine.

Christmas Eve is appetizers, so no set time, Christmas Day proper will be Rib roast, Brussels sprouts with shallots and potatoes au gratin.

I’m sure there will be a bourbon apple pie, and hopefully a chocolate stout cake. Since I’ve had to open a bottle of bourbon I guess it’s probably polite to take a small nip to make see it’s good.

On New Year’s Day we always have chili at our house for friends and family. Will be ready by 11, and people will be in and out till 8 or so. Anybody in the Boise area wants to meet people, you’re more than welcome.

Breaking from our usual barbecue feast this year. Switching to a variety of appetizers, veggie & fruit trays, and desserts. It's Christmas Eve noon for snacks & gifts and then our kids all have their own Christmas Day and Christmas Eve evening plans.

We got really really good at turkeys. And hams too. We’re shifting up to prime rib though. We like it a lot. A little whiskey on the table and I’m good. But we add the trimmings on there for everyone else and they like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back