MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What's killing the elk in Yellowstone?

Ithaca 37

By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY
Whodunit? The big, bad wolf? Old Man Winter? A scientific mystery starring wolves, adversarial weather and a declining elk herd is playing out at Yellowstone National Park.

An elk stops traffic in Yellowstone. The elk population is declining in the park, but scientists can't agree on the reason.
By Erik Petersen, The (Cody, Wyo.) Enterprise via AP

Oh, and people — hunters — are possible suspects, too.

The elk population in North Yellowstone has dropped to about 8,000 from almost 17,000 in 1995. That was the year wolves were reintroduced into the 2.5-million-acre federal park in Wyoming, which overlaps the border of Montana and Idaho.

The northern herd contains just a fraction of the 120,000 elk believed to dwell in the park region, and Yellowstone's Northern Range is just 204,000 acres. But this region is of particular interest to scientists because it has the largest wolf population, about 106 of the park's 171 wolves in 2004, making the elk there the most vulnerable herd.

The wolves' return, which is seen by the National Park Service as a success in restoring natural balance, has drawn fire from ranchers and residents. A plan by Wyoming officials to allow unregulated hunting of wolves in some areas outside of the park — hunting is not allowed on Yellowstone lands — has been rejected by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

The wolves were expected to take a bite out of the northern herd, but the decline is greater than expected, says biologist John Vucetich of the Michigan Technical University in Houghton.

Hunters, who target elk that leave the park, have blamed the wolves. But researchers, including Vucetich, say the problem isn't that simple.

In an analysis in the current edition of the ecology journal Oikos, for example, Vucetich and park service colleagues examined weather, hunting and wolves as factors in the elk decline. Yellowstone has had seven years of drought and a severe winter in 1997 that killed many elk.

They found that weather and hunting are mostly to blame.

Biologist Mark Boyce of Canada's University of Alberta and colleagues reach similar conclusions in an upcoming paper in the journal EcologicalModeling. Montana increased the "hunter harvest" quota on elk that leave Yellowstone grounds, issuing a higher-than-ever 2,882 hunting permits in 2000. A decline in the elk herd was thus guaranteed, Boyce says, even if wolves were not present.

A review in the September Biological Conservation journal comes to a somewhat different conclusion. Authors P.J. White of the park service and Robert Garrott of Montana State University in Bozeman say wolves and hunters share the blame.

And the wolves influenced the behavior of Yellowstone's northern elk, Boyce says. For example, they have adopted protective strategies, such as moving more often and in larger groups.

In the park, some biologists have suggested that increases in aspen, willows and cottonwoods may be the result of fewer elk foraging less often in areas where wolves lurk, White says.

Like every good mystery, a little-suspected culprit may be hiding in plain sight: bears.

In the Yellowstone Science journal, U.S. Geological Survey ecologist Dave Mech and his colleagues concluded this summer that "grizzly and black bears, rather than wolves, are having a greater impact on neonatal elk calf mortality than any other predator."

Zigzagging through fields where young elk lie, bears kill roughly six times more calves than wolves do, the ecologists found. Elk calves are uniquely vulnerable: They tend to stay in place near danger instead of running. In May and June, bears hunt through Northern Range calving areas for them, looking for an easy meal.

Grizzly bears are another Yellowstone-area success story that might have come at the expense of elk, Mech says. Since 1987, the predators' numbers have increased from 150 to more than 600 in the region, according to federal estimates, and many converge on the park's northern calving areas.

In fact, the grizzlies have done so well that the Interior Department has proposed taking the Yellowstone region's bears off the threatened species list under the Endangered Species Act. They've been on that list since 1975.

More years of watching wolves are needed to get a handle on the elk's decline, says Ken Hamlin of Montana's Fish, Wildlife & Parks department. He's inclined to blame the wolves, noting that elk in areas with few, or no, wolves, seem to do better. And species that wolves prey on far less often, such as mule deer and bison, haven't seen big drops in numbers, he says, despite going through the same drought and severe winters.

A steep drop in elk-hunting permits triggered by the herd's decline seemed to offer a chance to ascertain to what degree hunters have been responsible, Hamlin says. But wolf numbers also have dropped steeply in the park this year because of disease, throwing off the experiment.

"Nature just sticks her foot in there every time," Hamlin says. "We may never have any really final answers."

Time for a limited draw on grizzly and wolves... long overdue on the grizzly and rapidly becoming overdue for the wolf.

Was watching a show on wolves in the park the other day , one pack in the park was up to 32 members at one point, holy crap when they all layed into a herd of elk it was extreme carnage.

Ithaca 37 said:
By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY

The wolves' return, which is seen by the National Park Service as a success in restoring natural balance, has drawn fire from ranchers and residents.

The wolves were expected to take a bite out of the northern herd, but the decline is greater than expected, says biologist John Vucetich of the Michigan Technical University in Houghton.

There's what's wrong with this picture. The NPS says there's a natural balance, while a biologist says there's a greater than anticipated decline. Until they get a handle on the wolves and bears, the dust will never settle and tag allocations can't be accurately determined. Even among the throws of drought. Seems to me the NPS needs to butt out and shut the hell up?

I think a few of the responders on this thread need to grasp reality.

Hunters dont have an impact?

What a crock of absolute bullshit. Pure bullshit.

The MTFWP issued 2882 late season cow tags several years AFTER the wolves were transplanted into yellowstone. Those permits were IN ADDITION to several hundred cow permits issued for the general season, not to mention a five week archery season and a five week rifle season. The late hunts stretched into mid February.

Combine a high hunter harvest with long seasons, drought, an aging elk herd, and increased wolf and griz numbers...theres the answer.

What you have here isnt strictly a wolf or Griz issue. Its an issue of proper management (or lack thereof) and a Fish and Game department that manages REACTIVELY rather than PROACTIVELY, and caters to every whining landowner, hunter, and outfitter in Montana. What kind of an agency would continue to isse several thousand cow permits when elk numbers continue to drop? Anyone ever ask that question?

Wake up.

MT FWP did away with the traditional Gardiner hunt. Agreed that no one in their right mind would say there were too few elk in Jellystone back before the reintroduction. The park was overgrazed and, as they weren't gonna allow me to go shoot the excess, the wolf wasn't a bad idea. Problem is now there's too many wolves and bears in the grand scheme (balanced against human population). We need a limited shoot where, when the kill qouta is met, the season ends... you know, daily updates at 1-800-kil-wolf

Who needs a limited shoot or a quota for wolves? :D Shoot them in the ass!

And be sure to kill a bear a year. Do your part to keep the balance. ;)

Brad,

Yeah, they did do away with the late Gardiner elk hunts about 5 years too late...REACTIVE.

That hunt was a joke anyway, and the only reason it even happened was because of grossly inflated elk numbers in the Park. I helped a couple friends with late cow "hunts" down there a few times and from what I witnessed, I'd say its a good thing that hunt went away.

I'm all for a wolf and griz hunt ASAP.

Its just irritating to listen to a bunch of "hunters" bitch about wolves while giving the FWP a pass on their absurd "management" practices...which 90% of the time arent based on biology but rather economics, special interest and whiners.

Somehow wildlife is now about the fourth or fifth priority to most game and fish departments.

Buzz, I agree about the reactive management, but disagree about the hunt being a joke. The permits should have been trimmed back, in particular the cow permits earlier than they were. If you are up in January, let's go for a trek where 99% of the cow-hunters (not that many these days) haven't been.

Green, the bunghole express is my favored shot :D

Personally, I can't wait to have a dead wolf strapped to the truck hood... I plan to go over to the co-op so outfitted and get me a veggie shake...

Buzz, I'm no whiner nor am I saying FWP does everything correctly. Also, just because FWP increases tags doesn't mean they get filled when most here consider a "hardship hunt" manual windows.

I'll sign up for a hike with Greenhorn and you any day...

Greenhorn,

The bull hunts are a different story, definately not a joke, and definately not easy.

The cow hunts??? Depends on the hunter and the conditions. The few times I was there it was about like fishing in a trout hatchery.

All that aside, I think the elk will rebound. But I also think Griz and wolf hunts should have been started several years ago.

Buzz,

Not too long ago you said we should wait a couple years after delisting the griz to have a hunt. I can look it up to refresh your memory if you'ld like. How do you expect FWP to read your mind when you can't even be consistant with your comments.

Here you go Buzz...your words from May of this year.

"BHR,

Yes, I think the population warrants delisting.

No to a hunting season right now. I think observing population trends and expansion for at least another 5-10 years...its pretty difficult to say a species needs to be hunted when recruitment is slow. When you have 6-8 hundred animals at best in a population, its pretty tough to set quotas and justify a season.

It would make more sense to just have a very limited hunt for problem bears, IMO."

As I recall, we were told by the biologists a limited hunt would happen for griz when the jellystone eco-system had 450 bears (again, from memory)... I believe we're now double that figure. Time to shoot some bears.

BHR,

Whats inconsistant? Dont tell me your comprehension is as bad as the Cheese's.

I dont believe MT should have ever stopped hunting grizzlies. But, theres a big difference between controlling problem bears through a very limited season and starting up a general season with a quota (which is what MT had prior to 1991?). The point that you missed in the first thread is that I believe before an official yearly season is started, it may be beneficial to observe the current high populations for a while before implementing quotas, a season etc. Erroring on the side of caution will KEEP bears off the list and in State control and also allow a viable long-term hunting season. Knowing how the MTFWP "manages" in its typical "all or nothing" management style, we'd likely see a couple year season with high quotas, a drop in population and control given back to the feds as well as relisting.

More clear now?

By the way, I heard a couple bison were shot in Montana...and I'm starting to get thirsty.

Wolves all over need to be thinned. Here in Wisconsin the numbers are exploding and the landowners and Dairy farmers are not liking it. For years our DNR lied about the population numbers. Its interesting how with 1.5 million deer few hunters will see a buck on opening day but many hunters have seen one of the couple hundred or less wolves roaming around.

Buzz, I'm good for the beer I owe you. I've had a case of O'Doules in the garage since June. When you show up next time, it's yours. Hey I might get to tag along on a bison hunt this year. It looks like I can leave the video camera at home. Might have to beat up a hippie to get the footage though.Bison Hunting Videos

Hey, thanks for that O'doules, trying to pawn that shit off on me or what??? Isnt that beer the non-alcholic brew?

Keeping that O'doules on hand for your buffalo hippie buddies or what?

I guess next time I need to more specific on the "beer" end of the beer bet. :D

Now Buzz you know you should not drink real Booze. :D

What would happen if your mind got clouded? :)

Stick to the O`douls :D

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back