MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What's killing the elk in Yellowstone?

I might hire those buffalo hippies to film my hunts! Thats some great footage!

Man those things can soak up some lead!

Buzz,

You must have got a head start on that case of Old Milwaukee I owe you. Controlled hunt for problem bears? Brilliant! I can see it now. "Check that controlled hunt list to see who's next on it and send them back in the Thorofare to shoot that "problem bear" that just ate the tourist from Vermont." That will work! Yea Right!

It's going to take team work to get a griz/wolf hunting season. We don't need some of our own bad mouthing FWP or it will never happen. You say they are reactionary.....I say they are slow to react, like all gov agencies. We've tied their hands and then whine when they can't do the job they're hired to do. Too many people with agendas to move at anything other than glacial speed.

You want a griz and wolf hunt? Start playing for the right team and maybe some day it will happen.

I have not deen any reference to politics in this thread, I would think that is a contributing factor also, the sob's!!

I've got a case on Greenhorn and I'll bring the popcorn...

Mato

Even thought the moose population was quite small to begin with, I think they have really seen a drop in them in Yellowstone as well. When I was up there this summer one of the NPS biologist mentioned the drop and attibuted it to habitat changes due to the fires over a decade ago. I don't know much about moose habits, but apparently they migrate higher during the winter and live off of forage from I forget which kind of tree. The fires reportedly really cut back whatever tree it was.

It is awfully coincidental that elk and moose are dropping about the same time the wolf was put in. Obviously wolves and hunting have a role. Habitat changes (unless it is dramatic overgrazing) don't work that quickly. And that area hasn't seen anything but a gradual change in habitat conditions due to development, etc. I suspect the answer ought to be reductions in tags and wolves/bears. The wolf thing isn't going to happen for a long time though.

My guess is the wolves have had easy pickings on elk. The elk had over 100+ years to lose their fear of canines.

By the way, the NPS can't "butt out" nor can USFWS. They are both responsible for management of Yellowstone. Its much easier said than done, but if both agencies as well as the states would apply a little common sense, there ought to be enough room for bears, wolves, elk, moose, and hunting.

A little bit of allowable culling of predators on private land would probably be sufficient to control the wolf/bear populations. I don't think it will be allowed for the forseeable future because the agencies are afraid people would shoot every one they see. However, I'm afraid we'll see a truly big drop in elk/moose numbers in Greater Yellowstone before any action is taken other than reductions in tags available to hunters. This one is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Enjoy the 10 year old bulls and cows while they last. Will be interesting to see where that herd is at in the next 5 years. ..and where the wolves will have to move to next.

The drought and hunters must target mostly the young elk... :rolleyes:

Intresting and cornfusing trend noticed.. duh. FWP Report

What's amazing to me is that someone had to do a study to figure this out......and they're probably not done studying yet!!!!

Hey pointer, you can collect elk teeth, thumb through wolf shit, and think all the deep thoughts you want. When it comes to what is killing Yellowstone elk though, I'll go out on a limb and say that its not harsh winters, drought, hunters, two-cycle snowmobiles, etc.,etc. Of course I don't have a study to back up my claims though. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back